Starting From Scratch Fishing Gear & Tackle

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dougiemac

So I used to fish a lot when I was a teenager and then after high school, other things took over my time like college, graduate school, family, kids, career, etc. Now that things have settled down some 20 years later, I want to get back into it. I love fishing for bass and I am really considering even getting into stream fishing / fly fishing... but that's down the road some. So what I was hoping to get some insight on was rebuilding my tackle box and gear for lake fishing off the bank and possibly / hopefully one day soon a little boat to cruise around and snag some bass, crappie, catfish, trout, etc.

Any suggestions for gear and tackle that would be good to start rebuilding with? I'm starting from scratch basically, so feel free to list off brands, makes, models and types etc. of what I need.

Thanks and happy fishin'!

Most of my fly rods/reels came from Cabala's, pull the chart for size and type of fish. They have some nice inexpensive combo's, on fly rods you can start at 500$ and go up. I am a poor man so I stay around 200$ for combo. I have one combo from Orvis, Christmas present, nice unit, light, easy to cast, great reel, smooth and tough. Bit heavy on the $$$.

Myself, over the years, I've spent a TON of money on gear, baits, etc. I've got 24 rod & reels of all types to cover from ultra lite, fly fishing, to saltwater outfits. So now I decide when I'm going fishing - which 4 rods am I taking on the boat. Even have 2 of the 17ft crappie rods and 2 15ft catfishing rigs that handle strips as well. Now I'm gonna explore line counting reels. Even have underwater color cameras so I can watch the fish down there (to 50ft). But I don't trust lowering my 300 buck Gopro down there - ain't willing to part with it even accidentally :eek:

If Bass are your target and you want to go on the less expensive side, I would recommend getting your rods and reels set up first.
Cranking Rod
Medium spinning outfit
Medium Heavy Spinning and baitcaster
Any technique specific rods/reels.

I will say the Bass Pro combo's are a good start. You need to be able to throw Senko's, crankbaits, spinnerbaits and heavier plastics. I am a finess guy so shakeyhead and dropshot are always in the mix.

You are only limited by your experience and your wallet. The more experience you get, the more your wallet will suffer.

Last count was way over 120+ combos; but I justfied it because I was a tournament walleye fisherman and we had to provid gear for both guys in the boat... (sounds good doesn't it...lol) and walleye fishing is very gear intensive for various techniques. That requirement, lots of gear, made me appreciate good gear versus MOST lower priced setups.

Now, I occasionally fish for bass (don't have much of a clue about it but I do it when my friends don't know how to fish for grown up fish with teeth). A few years back, I wanted to upgrade and replace my older bass equipment and asked some guys here whose opinion I respect. I got real good advice, they steered me to Bass Pro combos in the Extreme and Pro Qualifier line. That has proven to be good advice. I am sure that better "stuff" can be found, but those combos have proven to be very good values.

One sure piece of good advice is buy quality line and respool often. No matter what else you do, that line is the "hook-up" between you and the fish. Ask here for varied but good advice on line when the time comes.

Baits and lures are a somewhat personal preference thing. But, in general a few spinnerbaits, a range of three or four crankbaits, to start, that cover a range of depths from any of the major manufactureres, some tubes, a few jigs, some senkos, and some worms will get you started. Local color preferences might guide you some but I have found that crawfish colors are good for both smallmouth and largemouth. Perch colors in hard baits. Pumpkin colored worms, jigs, and senkos. Others here will probably have better advice than me. Work with a few suggested baits that you can have success with and build confidence.

Good luck, and remember you can't beat catching a sunfish on a cane pole and its the fishing not the catching that will be the best memories after a lifetime of this sport.

Bass Pro Shops Extreme rod and reel combos are a good choice for the value and quality. Bass pro Shops Pro Qualifier combos are also a good choice and many more to choose from. There are so many choices it can be a little over whelming if you let it :confused:. Just get something simple and affordable to start out with and work you way up as you improve and learn the craft of fishing;). They call it fishing not catching so be patient and you will get better as you go:cool:.

Latest posts

Back