spro little john depth??

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Ingersoll

Reaction score
What kind of depth can I expect to get throwing a little john on 10# flourocarbon? I was thinking close to 5', but I'm sure someone here could tell me from experience.

Medium distance casting for fishing semi-parallel to a rocky bank

5-7' is about right.....especially if you use a limber rod,...med lt. to med action which is ideal for crankbaits.;)

Yeah..I can hit 7' on 8lb. test with them. Great crank BTW!:cool:

Just picked up the "Nasty Shad" last night to add to my collection. Anyone use the DD version? Wondering how it compares to other popular deep diving cranks? Spro has a much slimmer profile.

Ask John Crews, he sealed his win on the Elites this year with it. Sturdy bait, will take the pounding of bouncing off the bottom. I haven't thrown it yet and probably won't here in Florida, everything is pretty shallow....no real deep cranking opportunities. But you know I've got a dozen!!:lol:

TOXIC

Thanks, it sounds like I might be able to get 6 which will make me very happy! I might even drop down to 8# flouro just to make sure.

I tell ya' that is one of those cranks that your heart starts pounding in anticapation when it starts grinding the bottom...cause that's when it happens!:cool:

Tox there is more deep cranking there than you think!

Well, c'mon down and show me mini!!:lol: I am so frustrated with this southern water right now I could just puke!! The St Johns looks more like the Potomac and the James rivers due to the color (very tannic) and I like gin clear water the best. I might just join a club down here to get some local knowledge to try and build on.

TOXIC

Might be worth checkin' live bait until you figure out where there at:rolleyes:

FWIW, I have not thrown a wong rig yet:lol:.....the Senko is a good bait here so they tell me. I have thrown a trap, shakey head, spinnerbait, swim bait, crankbait....what I would consider a full monty.....Maybe I'll just wait for Big Dan to come down and show me how it's done.

TOXIC

4 of those 5 are "faster baits",...try slowing down maybe,..have you thrown a 10" worm??:huh:

Call Chuck Economou!!!!!!

I told you that a thousand times.

When the water was low in Okeechobee KVD won an FLW deep cranking the rim canal and the canal leading from Clewiston. Rat-L-Traps are great in the rim canal too.

all you really need is senkos, flappin shads, horney toads, spinnerbaits, t-rigged tubes, ratltraps, buzzbaits, AND REALLY BIG WORMS (on light weights and reel em reeeeaaaaallllllyyyyy slow) etc...

or just go postal and get you some shiners!!!

I "could" do the live bait thing, I've tossed a cast net off the dock and netted my share baby reds, shrimp and a couple different kinds of baitfish. I've been told this is a tough time of year on the river because everything is gorging on shrimp that are making their spawn run. I also don't want to pull the boat off the lift to go to some of the lakes because I've got no one to help me coordinate that cluster. The ramp is about 3 miles away. I need to find me a river rat and befriend him!!:lol:

TOXIC

Tox - I look forward to getting together this winter. I'll bring some of my Lil' Johns that my painter airbrushed. They are jaw-dropping gorgeous, except for the ones with teeth marks and hook rash all over! :rolleyes::D

Latest posts

Back