spirex spinning reel

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eric nichols

Reaction score
Buying a new spinning reel. Anyone use/like the Spirex from Shimano? Front or rear drag, never had a rear drag before. Thanks for the opinions.

Eric

I have six of them and wish I had more. They are smooth operating reels. They have only one problem......the two quick fire parts wear out with heavy use, but the two parts are real inexpensive and easy to change. The quick fire system is super good. No time lost opening the bail. I will use the quick fire reels as long as I can get them.

Eric

I have 14 of these Shimmano Spirex 2000 reels. All of them have front drag. I have been using them for 12+ yrs with out any complaints. I use 8.lb/12.lb line with all of them. For the money i feel they are a great buy.

only had one rear drag/fighting drag in the past. never really liked it to much.

GregD

I like the reels but, always change out the handles...don't like the stubby paddle.

I dont like the self centering bail. it slaps too much on the hookset and eventually wears out. but thats just me, i know plenty of people that love the quickfire.

I have several Spirex reels (1000s and a 2000). I recently started replacing them with Saharas but swapping the Sahara's single paddle handle with the Spirex double paddle (the newer ones are interchangable). Cost is about the same if not identical.

To me the benefit of the anti-reverse on the Sahara is greater than the trigger on the Spirex. With a double paddle handle, hooksets are fast and solid with no slip as the bail reverts to center. You do lose the convenience of the self centering bail, but I don't lose as many fish on the Sahara as I do the Spirex.

Agree Mini...if it don't have istant anti-reverse anymore...I don't use it.

Wife still does:rolleyes:

I have 2 or 3 Spirex's. I started out using those when I graduated from Zebco. ha! I still have them and keep them in the boat for people who are new to spinning reels. I have switched to Quantums now but they are a little pricer than the Spirex. I think it's a great reel for the money and very easy to operate. Mine were the rear drag model.

Thanks for all the opinions. I think I am going to try the Sahara because I also like to have anti-reverse. Thanks again.

Eric

My Two Cents Worth,

Spirex's Sahara and Sedona way to many to count, and love them all, prefer rear drag:rolleyes:

Have 4 of them, (Spirex-front drag)and overall I like 'em. However, over the years they have become more my son's than mine when we go fishing. (Maybe ease of use?) But my sons love 'em too and they are the only ones they want to use when they join me on the water.

For just a couple more $ though you can probably find something with more features out there, and that's what I'll probably do whenever I replace my reels in the future. (Don't overlook the BPS brand reels too, never had any trouble with any of mine).

Latest posts

Back