Spinning reels

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Cozadd

Reaction score
I have never been one to use spinning reels, I've always used baitcasting reels. But I understand that many bass fisherman use spinning outfits, I would like to start using them this year.

I want a decent quality reel which one would you recommend? When I started using a baitcaster, I used a few cheap ones and found them very difficult to use. I moved up to a Curado and was much happier.

What type for baits are best fished with spinning outfits? I'm assuming lighter baits like weightless senko's.

Thanks in advance for the info.

I like to use the Shimano Stradic spinning reels. I specifically use the Stradic 1000FH with G Loomis rods and 6 lb fireline. I fish senkos, light jigs and spinning baits (1/4 oz or less) and scum frogs with these rods/reels. I like the 1000 series because I can still switch to my snmaller ultralight rods and use them when I fish from my kayak.

I imagine the larger stradics are just as good as the 1000FH.

You can get a good Stradic as a combo with a Woo Daves XPS rod fairly inexpensively from Bass Pro.

By the way, I also use the Curados for my baitcasters.

Bill, the Mad Kayaker

I use alot of the Shimano Sahara's... the techniques your describing will fit the 1500 and/or 2500 series just fine... I personally use the 1500 series.

I also recently picked up a Pflueger President, very nice reel (9 Ball Bearings) and still light (9.1 oz) right around the same as the Sahara 1500, but a heckuvalot smoother.

Both of these reels are in the $50-60 price range.

Lots of people like the stradics, so you wont go wrong their either.

Most important is to match the reel to the technique, and don't overfill the spool... the number one issue with Spinning tackle is line twist, but it cant be beat for lite line techniques (anything up to 10# test).

Enjoy!

One word says it all.........Shimano! Nothing is more convenient than the quick-fire feature. Very nice to have complete one hand control of your rig.

Lamar

Just came home with Shimano Symetre. I wanted the Sahara but also wanted the Super-Slow Ocillation after I tried it. That feature was only on a smaller Sahara. Otherwise, Sahara is the perfect reel. Of course I found out, all the Shimanos are great reels.

Da Bear

As others have said, the Shimano Sahara is a very good reel for the price. I have a couple of them. Like you, I used Curado reels for bait casting.

While I've used spinning reels with many bait sizes and various line weights, I now limit them to lighter use. You mentioned weightless Senkos. For those I stick with the Curado. At least that's the case with the 5.25 inch Senkos. Anything lighter and I'll switch to the spinning reel.

Good luck with your purchase. Always good to have a range of gear to choose from. One can't really have too many rods and reels - right?

Quantum PTI they are great reels...Cheaper than Shimano..

I like Shimano's but, had a couple of Quantam's and had good luck. I'm givin' the PTI a try this spring:)

While they are harder to find I love TiCA spinning reels. They are big in saltwater fishing and have a freshwater lineup also. SUPER smooth drag which you would expect from a saltwater company. I have 3 of them that I have had for several years with no problems.

Shimano's are nice also...I have had a couple but liked the TiCA's better especially with light line. The price is less than Shimano also.

-Corey

I love the Shimano 1000's for ultralight fishing. A good 5 ft. rod and your ready for crappie to bass:)

i use the shimano spirex 2000 front drag, i have been using them for at least 8 yrs.

i like to fish every thing on them. worms, senkos, grubs, drop shot rigs, ect.

bass pro has a nice combo for 80.00. they sell there bioninc blade 6'6" mh with the spirex. i own 6 of them.

Sim, i placed an order with backwaters on thursday, and could not belive it when fedex rang my door bell on saturday, i placed an oder the same day with basspro. i still havn't heard from them.

GregD

Only thing I have against the Spirex is that stubby little dual paddle handle. I have one but, removed the handle and replaced it with an older Shimano handle...just opinion.

I fish spinning reels alot. I have used several but I always go back to the Shimano Spirex 2000 Rear drag. Most like front drag but I like the rear drag because I find it easier to adjust the drag with a fish on (which is rare ha!). I just really like the trigger on it and I prefer the double handle.

I usually use spinning for all my work/plastic fishing.

I used the rear drag for years also but, found out why the rear drag was losing fish sometimes(especially big ones). The surface of the washers are about a 1/3 of what front drag discs are. Take one apart one time and do a little comparison.

Also the Spirex does not have infinite anti-reverse which I have been sold on for years. I still use them without the reverse(I just move the bait mostly by rod anyway so that it doesn't get slap-back) on the reel handle.

I too like the trigger for covering a lot of water fast...it just has drawbacks like anything else.

If I'm using live-bait or Carolina riggin'...then it's anti-reverse for sure:)

GregD - We aim to please!!! you'll like those beavers! We could probably start a whole thread on how/when to use them, but I use them 90% of the time as a jig trailer!

They match perfectly with a Baby Advantage jig!

Enjoy!

Im a big fan of the shimano straic. It does cost a little more then some of the lower priced reels discussed here but its worth every penny. I own 4 of them and one shimano symetre and the difference in smoothness and drag performance is huge. I also like thats its a no frills front drag no trigger reel. Just the basics but refined to work flawlessly.

on a side note i dont like the finger triggers either, i find they get in the way.

i agree with with the triggers, just in the way. i remove them when i get the reels.

Sim,

i just showed some of the guys here at work the smallie beaver, it is a pretty awsome looking bait. i cant wait to fish it. i have confidance in it already and i wont see open water for 3 months.

i plan on using it for my drop shot rigs and on a lead head. i will be ordering more i am sure.

gregD

I Like the Shimano Saharas with front drag.

I replace the single-paddle handles with doubles from the Spirex.

with a little practice, you can use your index finger as a trigger and have one less part to break... when I first started, I bought several trigger spinning reels... only to have the little trigger start catching line, then start failing. (granted, this was on "cheaper" reels).

Just reach down with your index finger and flip the bail that way... and you can even flip it back! Try it....

Sounds like me! and Tee have a handle on things!!!!

GregD... you must, absolutely must t-rig or put that beaver on the back of a jig and flip it around wood/cover...

Better yet, don't... those fish don't want to be caught!

Just to be diffrent, I picked-up a couple of Pflugger President spinning reels last year. They are fantastic reels. 10 bearings, very smooth, 4 sizes to choose, and only $69.99 at BPS (should be a little cheaper at Spring Classic). I'm planning on buying a couple more this spring.

Craig

Tony/Backwaters,

Went out and checked. You have Yo-Zuri Rattlin Vibes, so I placed an order. Do you know if you have any plans to stock other colors? You only had three listed.

Tex

The best answer to that would be to Call Mo at the 800 number... he'll be able to walk over to the shelf and see what is there, and he'll be able to tell you what he can get outside of that as well.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back