Spinning Reels:

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzz Bouvier

Reaction score
Currently I have two spinning reels and really haven't understood what the best method to use spinning reels for. I didn't notice many members in my local bass club using them either. I was wondering what is the best use for this reel is, and would it hurt to have a couple more? Also is it critical that the rod be a spinning rod or could one get away with a baitcasting rod? Thanks.. The reason I ask is that I want to build a rod locker in my 896 and the holes for the spinning rods have to be larger thus reducing the overall number of rod storage.. Thanks...

Buzz -

I'd suggest using a spiing outfit when you're trying to throw small, light, finess baits or using lighter lines - 8# and under.

Yes. You must use a spinning rod with the reel in order for everything to work properly. I have 3 combos that I use:

For everything from bass to saltwater:

Shimano Spirex 1000FA with 8# line.

Shimano Stimula 6'6" Medium Heavy Action.

(I used this to catch the ONLY bass that Rich and I boated last April at the tounament.)

For smallies and large trout:

Shimano TX500F with 6# line.

Shimano Sensilite 5'6" Light Action.

For real finess that is require for trout in clear streams:

Shimano AX-ULS with 2# line. (Sometimes 4#.)

Shimano Stimula 5'0" Ultra Light Action.

For your purposes, one combination - maybe two - similar to the first one I listed should do the trick very well!

me!

Buzz

I have 3 spinning combos. I use 10# Fireline on all of them (has about a 4# diameter) and medium action rods. They are of various models but all are Pinnacles. I usually have a different lure tied on each.

Spinning rigs, in my opinion, are great for making long casts with light lures and for night fishing. I fish a lot for Stripers, Hybrids, and Kentucky's when they are schooling and breaking. You can't get too close to them and need long casts. It took me a little while to learn how to use them well. I fish them mostly in the late summer through winter and then switch to baitcasters for the balance of the year.

I still prefer baitcast for most fishing and have two Daiwas and a Shimano.

By the way...Fireline will not work on most baitcasting rigs and I usually put a strip of duct tape on the spool before filling it with the Fireline. Works great that way. That Fireline will just hardly break at all. The downside to it (seems like there is always a downside) is that it produces knots easier than mono and you have to watch for frayed line.

Jim

Yes, you have to match the spinning reel to a spinning rod. The first guide off of the handle on a spinning reel is larger than the one on a casting rod because, on a spinning reel, the line is looping off of the spool. The purpose of that first guide, and the successive smaller ones, is to control and reduce that loop before it gets to the tip. You'll end up REALLY frustrated if you try to use a spinning reel on a casting rod.

Spinning rods are great for fishing smaller baits, and for reaching out with longer casts, just as Scott and JimC have said. I almost exclusively use spinning rods.

Shimano Sahara on a St. Croix Avid 6-foot ultralight with 2 or 4 lb test;

Shimano Spirex 1000 on a St. Croix 5 1/2 foot light action with 2, 4 or 6 lb test

Shimano Spirex 1000 (or the Sahara, depending on what I'm fishing for) on a G. Loomis 6 foot medium action/fast tip with 4, 6 or 8 lb test.

What kinds of bait am I trowing? Small jigs and spinners on the first. Medium jigs, 4-inch worms, 1/8 to 1/4 oz. Chompers, and smaller crankbaits on the second. Large crankbaits and heavy jigs with plastics on the last.

Hope this helps!

MO

also if you have to skip cast way under a dock you can get it a lot further with a spinning outfit.and easier.stan

Buzz, you have to come to the north end and I'll show you what a spinning outfit is for. ESPECIALLY in high winds!

That's my subtle attempt at getting someone to fish with! LOL

Latest posts

Back