Spinning or Casting

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg. Avery

Reaction score
What do you all use for Texas rigged worm fishing a casting or spinning outfit. Just a thought I use a casting outfit but am thinking of using a spinning out this season. :wacko: Anybody have any Pros or Cons .;)

I will sometimes rig a very small finess worm texas style and throw it with a spinning rig. Most the time a bait casting outfit for the larger stuff.

fatrap

I use a spinning outfit for Worming. One of the side effects of never going over 10 pound test and almost always using 8 pound test with very little or no weight. I prefer the distance I get from light line and 7 foot spinning rods. Lots of years sneeking up on spooky fish I guess.

Have used both. Had success with both. If you watch the Woo Daves video on worming, he uses spinning almost exclusively.

Tex

Depends entirely on the weight of your offering. Spinning reels traditionaly don't handle heavy test line very well, it's the way it comes off the spool. Braid on heavier spinning reels like the JLM 2500 works well, as well as up to 16lb test. IMHO.....:p

TOXIC

I have used spinning for throwing worms exclusively for many a year. I use lighter line for worming and it seems to me that the spinning outfit handles it better.

Uncle Billy

Spinning reels for TX rigged, infact this one (4lb 8oz - 20 inch LM) hit a TX rigged worm this morning on a medium light Shimano Sahara combo on 6lb test! I know the dates says 2/10/07, I had to switch batteries in the camera and got the date wrong. I like the feel of light line and a sensative tip, especialy in the dead of summer and cold of winter when the bite is sometimes very light/tough to feel.

Feb%20bass%20for%20web.JPG

Bill - Everyone seems to notice the catipilar that crawled up there while Beka is out of town!!! LOL

Greg,

I may be the exception to the rule, but even for light T-Rig I use a bait caster; a 6'6" Medium rod with 8 lb. test line and the reel set "loose". It takes some getting used to, but can be done. I've never really liked spinning reels and have been to lazy to learn how to control them. I think if you fish alot of finesses/light rigs the spinning reel is certainly the way to go; too many fisherman use the spinning reel under those circumstances to be wrong. But I also try to skip stuff under docks w/ a baitcaster so my advice is questionable!!?? LOL!!

light cover or none at all - spinning with 8#

heavier cover or heavier baits - 14# - 20# on baitcasting

nice spot Trep.

I have used spinning for years but just recently got a bait casting rig to see what they are all about. So far I like throwing a heavy spinner bait and worm, texas rigged with the bait caster. Not real good with it yet and still getting some back lash but in time I will get it.

Nice green fish Trep;)

I do about the same...light when conditions call for it and baitcaster for anything over 1/2 oz. is a good rule of thumb.

Those that use casting reels, what are your feelings on the low profile reels as compared to the standard casting reels? I am also going to get a left hand retrive casting since I find it strange reels with the right hand (so many years with left retrive spinning reels). Setting the hook and twitching the rod/lure with the left hand doesn't work for me. Also, casting with the right and then changing hands to reel-something wrong with that...again for me. thanks for you opinions.....kenny

I prefer the low profiles, unless I'm fishin for toothy critters like Northern, or Muskie, then I use the 2 standard round casting reels I have ...... otherwise I've really grown to like the low profiles over the last few years....... hey, nice fish Trep....... egmike

Latest posts

Back