Spinnerbaits:

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzz Bouvier

Reaction score
O.K. I was going through my tackle boxes tonight and have come to the conclusion that I need spinnerbaits bad. Being last year was my first year bass fishing I purchased mostly stickbaits, jerkbaits, topwater, rattle traps, and neglected the spinnerbait family. I counted them up and I had a total of about 35 spinnerbaits. So my questions is how many should I think about purchasing, and what would you all recommend? I know that there are a number of spinnerbaits styles, and confiqurations, I would like to make them my first priority this spring shopping season along with some buzzbaits.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks

Buzz,

You already have about 20 too many. You should distribute them to the needy fishermen and women in your area!!! I heard you were looking for me at work today. Shoot me an e-mail and I'll give you my pager number.

Bob G.

In my opinion, make sure you buy spinnerbaits, with ball bearing swivels only. As for buzzbaits, I like the triple blade models, they're much easier to fish slower if neccesary, also, the plastic blades spin the easiest. "Fleck" brand buzzbaits, are one of the best.

One word on spinnerbaits War eagle as far as I am concerned they make the best one out there bar none If you want I'll post the site address where I buy them if you can't find them anywhere

Yeah too many there Buzz. I use strike kings and terminators. But if have about 20 and only really ever use the same 5-10 until I lose a couple. Just different weights, colors, and blades.

In my opinion, skirt color is not as important as blde choices. With all the options available to us, it would be easy to have 100 spinnerbaits and not have two of the same.

I personally use tandem set up with a small colorado in front of a willoleaf. These combos will be nickel/gold, nickel/nickel, or gold/gold. My primary skirt colors are some shade of white, baitfish, chatruese/white, and black.

Then for some situations, I'll use a short arm single spin with a large colorado blade, something like the Zorro Aggravator or the Strike King Midnight Special. Seeing I use these baits at night or in deep water, slirts will be black, black/red, or black/blue.

Colored blades of white or chartruese with matching skirt colors are nice for burning near the surface for smallies or used in off colored water. I've found that some big Spring largemouths really like a white blade slow rolled near the bottom.

I go against the grain occasionaly in clear water. Where most people will try to get as close as possible to a natuaral bait fish color, I go the reverse and throw a small black bait with copper blades. Sounds strange but it's worked often.

I probably have 50+ spinner baits, and I use about 4 of them... A handful of others get very occasional use...

David

I agree with the others that you already have a lot! The only reason you may want to get a few more is if you have a certain color/weight/design you don't have that you feel you need. I need some new spinnerbaits, I only have about 10 total......guess it's time to go shopping!

Latest posts

Back