Spawning smallies

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill McElroy

Reaction score
C3 and Tox,...make sure you bring your BIG stix in May,.....we're expecting a GOOD spawn this year.:rolleyes::eek::blink:

87fe15.jpg

That's a minner compared to the hog I'm gonna catch at the Holler next week:lol:;)

Get them rods ready stinky:D

:D I'm gonna be ready. I gotta feeling this is the year for my 6lber!! Make sure you gotta lota film, a scale and a tape measure!! Anything over 6 is a replica on my wall!! Then in August I can try for my 7!! As the Pointer Sisters say..."I'm so Excited"

TOXIC

Ah heck Tox...just go right for the 8!:cool:

Get your sphincter up here sometime:D

Been wanting to go to "the hollow" for quite some time. Maybe we can get a rally together for down there sometime. Smallmouth are an addiction that you can't kick!! Dale has it's share of trophy fish as well. There is a distinct difference between the Northern and Southern smallies. Heck, you can look at a smallie on St. Clair and tell immediatly whether it is a St. Clair fish or an Erie fish. They do look different!!

TOXIC

You bet...and I'll let ya in on a secret.

I've fished em' North, South, East and West and those smallies down at the Holler pull harder than any others...dad thinks so too;)

I think it's having all that cold deeep water to hunt in.

Although I do believe the Ohio record will be broke again within the next few years if the Great Lakes continue to produce some pigs like they have been.

Interesting fact...the Ohio brownfish record held at 7 3/4 lbs. from the Mad River from 1947 or 48 to 1993 when KVD's brother, Randy knocked it outta' the ball park with a 9 1/4 lb. beauty:cool:

and he did it while sitting down eating a sandwich!!!

tee have you been to grand traverse bay?

No I have not but, would like to add it to my list;)

I seriously want to get up there and fish with the Mafia...maybe this will be the year.

Keep me in the loop:cool:

Mac, isn't that a largemouth?

FYI---water temps in TN are a few weeks behind normal for this time of yr. A really warm week could change that fast.

Berry,.....I think it's a Grouper of some sort. But my imagination gets the better of me sometimes,....I often dream of a smallie that big crushin' my jig!! YEAAHH Baby!!!!! LOL

It's called a Goliath Grouper... used to be called a Jewfish till the PC crowd got ahold of it. I was reading a fishing report from Costa Rica (thinking of taking my son there) where a local guy caught a 500lber on a hand line!! That's some big fillets right there and gooooooood eatin'.

TOXIC

I have a picture of my dad holding a 20+ lb drum by the lip and when you first look at it from a distance...it looks like a huge overgrown smally:lol:

You are exactly right, that is a Goliath Grouper. If you catch one now in Florida, they are protected, and they have to be unhooked while still in the water. I was just pokin' some fun of course calling this a largemouth....

I was serious about our temps though, Old Hickory was 54 last Saturday, and KY lake is mid 50's now, so the Hollow will prolly be in low 50's. That is 2-3 weeks late for here. Good luck on the trip, Everyone around here believes that the next world record smallie is swimming in Dale Hollow right now.

I bet there's EASILY world record class smallies swimming in the Great Lakes too...I'd bet every rod/reel/and lure I own, that there's a ton of 10-12lb smallmouth somewhere in Lk. Michigan, Huron, Erie or Ontario.....they die of old age and have never seen a lure in their life!! There's just too much perfect habitat and food for it not to be true!!;)

This IS a normal spring!

The last few we have had were NOT!

80 degree weather at the end of March last year was unreal:wacko:

Tee, It may be normal in Ohio, but in TN we are behind water temp-wise due to the numerous cold rains we are having now. Last year was a wild Yo-Yo ride fo sho.

Not really...I fish Dale every year and water temps are in line...mid 50's.

toxic,

we can go to the rapp and have a 50/50 shot at a six.

Compared to the one uptop, that one musta just busted outta the egg!! :lol::lol:

Ocean fishing is such a hoot!! Ya just never know what you're gonna catch.

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back