Something to think about....(when buying a new boat)

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Hofman

Reaction score
Scott and I met for lunch today and, of course, the discussion turned to boats.

A few days ago, it dawned on me that I made a mistake when picking up our new boat back in the dark days of November, 2001.

My wife and I drove the 200+ miles to BPS in Springfield, cashier's check in-hand, to sign the papers and pick up the TV-18. We walked onto the boat showroom floor and told the receptionist that we had an appointment with the sales manager to complete the purchase of our boat. After waiting a few minutes, she ushered us back to his office where we proceeded to go over the paperwork, sign on the dotted line, and hand over the check.

Then we were directed to the rigging shop, where the boat was ready to go. After the walk-around and break-in instruction session with the rigger, we hooked up and towed the boat home.

Now....with the experience I've gained from reading so many stories on this discussion board and others, I've come to the decision that -- if and when I do this again -- I'm going to do something VERY differently. In the excitement of that moment of buying my first new boat, I forgot that I have the right to inspect and REJECT the boat before handing over the cash, just like I can when buying a new car or truck.

It makes absolutely NO sense to hand over a check for tens of thousands of dollars, or to sign ownership and loan papers, before I even get a chance to see and inspect the boat I'm about to buy. It may be difficult to take the boat for a test drive before buying it, but I certainly can tell the sales manager that I want to look over the boat, motor and trailer to make sure everything is copacetic before I sign on the dotted line.

Those of you who own boats are saying, "Gosh, Mo,...D-uhhhh!!!" But I'm posting this for the sake of those who come to this site doing research before become a first-time boat owner.

If you're thinking about buying your first new boat, or if you're getting ready to take delivery of your first new boat, do yourself a favor. Don't hand over the cash or sign on the dotted line until you are given the chance to do a thorough inspection of the boat. If anything is wrong or not rigged to your satisfaction, you still have the money in your wallet and can refuse delivery until the boat meets your high standards.

Just a thought, learned from experience, seen through the perfect 20/20 vision of hindsight.

MO

P.S. It was great to share a meal, Scott! Hope your afternoon sales call went well.

MO,

What sound advice you have, that ain't for just 1st time buyers. I am fixin (a Texas word) to pick up my 5th Nitro in 10 years and I can't recall ever giving the new boat the once or twice over before signing the papers. Just the excitement of getting a new rig clouds the mind and all your can think about is lets get the papers signed and hook to the new boat before the bank changes it's mind, the salesman remembers he forgot to add this "certian cost" to it, the spouse remembers that you had promised to get new furniture so something for the house, or before anything pretaining to Murphy's Law occured.

I'm checking my new one out!!! Heck I may not even take the thing. Who am I fooling I can't hardly wait, but I will give it the once over. KENNY

Mo... Kenny...

My lawyer gave me some language to put on a separate shet to attach and have signed by the "seller"...

Basically, it is that the seller delivers the boat "guaranteed to be substantially water ready with no significant defects" In the evnt that within ten days a major fect of any kind is discovered the boat can be returned for as replacement or refund.." None of this "buyer" beware and Buyer gets to be the quality control inspector. Howard, my lawyer suggests that any seller who will not agree is not worth doing business with... Interesting thought...

That's a GREAT idea, Greg!

And Kenny, in N'awlin's they say "A-fixin'!" As in, "I'm a-fixin' to go eat me some mudbugs."

(I am familar with the term "fixin'". My grandmother was born and grew up in a small Texas town called Pottsville, near Hamilton, northwest of Waco. She used to use that word all the time!)

I actually posted the whole thing here some time ago...

It just doesn't seem right that with a car you can get it and see if it tracks, steers, stops, starts, runs, etc...

But, with a boat you haul it away and then when it won't steer straight, etc... You take it back and you get a runaround... or months of turn around time and etc... we've all seen the stories... The dealers say that they don't get to inspect boats from the mfg... But that isn't an issue between the dealer and the consumer... So, Im thinking I should find that agreement from here and post it again...

I'm thinking you should find it, email it to me, and we can post it as a Grab Bag article, or at least as a downloadable document that other can access and use!

I vaguely remember you posting this, now that I think about it.

Greg I saved that post & have it handy if you want me to post it again for you.

Whoops it won't let me copy & paste it ? Sorry

Here it is:

got a suggestion from my lawyer...His advice is that on written purchase agreement with the dealer for a new boat...you add...(printed neatly or typed and attached with a written reference to the attachment) "Notwithstanding any other written term of this agreement...Dealer agrees to deliver the boat, motor, all accessories and components to the purchaser in new, good, operable condition, without any defects in material or workmanship. Further, the buyer may water test the boat after delivery to determine the condition of the boat, motor and all accessories and components. In the event that the boat is not delivered as specified in the first sentence, the buyer may cancel this agreement by notifying the dealer in writing within 5 days of delivery and all moneys, payments, deposits, etc. will be fully refunded to the buyer. Failure to refund moneys as specified will subject the dealer to additional damages of attorneys fees and costs of suit if such is required to collect. These terms are binding on any assignee of the dealer."

His, my attorney's, opinion is that any dealer willing to sign this is going to make it right...any dealer not willing to sign it...isn't woth dealing with...

Okay, any dealer that expects you to hand over the bucks without lake testing it is nuts. Anyone handing over the bucks without lake testing... um, I won't say it.

Any dealer worth his salt won't allow the buyer to come up with "buyer's remorse" and return the boat.

Depending on the dealership, they may or may not let you lake test the boat prior to SHOWING the money. The problem is, if they'll let anyone lake test any boat, then if you buy one, you're probablybuying one that has been out a few times (that bothers some people). Of course, if it's NEW, you can't run the engine WOT anyway, so you really don't get a good feel for what the rig can do.

I was contemplating the purchase of a motorcycle in college and the dealer told me I could test drive it when I had the funds to complete the purchase. I've worked at another motorcycle dealership that would let anyone with the license take one out. Of course, there weren't any bikes that had been ridden several times, as most of the buyer's pre-qualified themselves by having a license.

You can always make a deal "contingent upon test drive". Heck, I bought a truck that I hadn't driven (I had driven one just like it, but another color). I came in to take delivery and took it for a quick spin prior to completing the paperwork.

Oh, and the part about "the dealer making it right". Well, the dealership's hands are often tied. They don't OWN the manufacturer and some manufacturers are harder to deal with than others. Also, the dealers also have to look out for themselves. They don't want to cover something only to find out that the manufacturer won't, and the dealership is out the money.

Funny guys but I had not thought about this til MO Posted it. I did the same as he 3 years ago. Went into the BPS Sales office and signed the papers THEN went down the road to the Tracker Marina to pick her up. I did do a walk thru and on the spot they fixed a few minor things I noticed (not bad for a first time buyer to find stuff. They forgot to put rope on the anchor mate and the plastic tubes in the rod locker were mis-aligned - they unscrewed the deck right there and fixed it). But hind sight, yup, I should have visited the boat first THEN signed the check!

Good advice!

Trep, I also did the same thing, went in to sign papers, finalize the deal, (still hadn't seen "my" boat) then drove about 5 minutes to pick it up at the "Tracker marina", where I finally took delivery after the walkaround and speech, in my case, I was lucky, everything extra I ordered was in the boat, and the swingaway trailer tongue was done, and a few weeks later when we hit the water the first time, everything worked as it was supposed to, so in my case I was lucky. BUT next time? I'm taking the good advice above before signing the dotted line..... egMike

Luck was the ONLY thing I had going for me when I bought my boat. I didn't even know how to hook up to the trailer. It was used, a 2001 I bought in 2002. All I knew was everything "looked" OK. Turns out it is a great boat but that not because of anything I did right. I didn't even know what "getting up on plane" meant until found this website. This is from someone who spent 10 years in the used car business, so I'm not a babe in the woods. When boat fever strikes common sense is the first thing to go.

Harpo

I did the same stuff on the one and only new boat I've ever bought..... Funny, both used boats I test drove first..... But, on the new one, I picked it up in January and didn't even get a chance to put it in the water until the end of February or beginning of March..... And I WISH I had had someone knowledgable there to help me through the first few runs.....

Sales call went well, MO..... But the rest of the afternoon went BETTER! Gave Laurie a call and we met for coffee..... About 5, she invited me to join she and the girls for dinner..... So I went to school with her to pick them up.....

I GOT TO MEET MRS. MOFISH!!!!! She's a teacher where Bety and Rocio go to school..... SWEET LADY!!!!! WARM PERSONALITY!!!!!! BRIGHT SMILE!!!!!! MO is very lucky to have her! And ya know sumpthin'..... I think they must be absolutely wonderful for each other!

God bless you, Mark and Rachel!

me!

I bought my boat a few years ago from Mare Marine at Byrans road in MD. I absolutely required the dealer to let me drive the boat before I signed on the dotted line. He was not excited about it and hadn't really done it before, but he made it happen. He had his mechanic trailer the boat to a ramp and showed me how to launch it and use on the equipment. It was a great experience. The only thing I had promised the dealer was to buy the boat if it did ok on the water. I brought a friend with me as a detached observer. Best thing I could have done! He could sit back and make sure I did the right thing and didn't get too many stars in my eyes as I got ready to buy my new toy. Advice to all:

1- Look over the goods like you would a new car/truck and be picky - it is your money until you sign.

2- bring a friend along even if they don't know about boats to help keep you on the straight and narrow.

3- if it is not right, don't take delivery until it is.

4- if you can do a test drive, by all means DO IT!

Mo- thanks for bringing this up. It is a really good point for all buyers whether 1st time or a pro.

david.....

Latest posts

Back