Solo Boat Launching

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean Troy

Reaction score
How many of you launch your boats by yourself? If I could do so safely, I'd get a lot more fishing in. Any tips? I like to be launching on our river and current is pretty slow this time of year. Thanks, Sean

90% of the time I launched by myself. Both guiding here in VA and when I fished in FL. there are a few easy ways and I would never let launching alone stop me from a day on the water. Lot of factors to consider. First the time of year, type of boat, the type of ramp, wind, current and docking options. Normal with a concrete ramp and dock, I just unhooked all of the straps but not the bow, then backed in close to the dock leaving the trailer out of the water just enough to hold the boat on the trailer (key is watching the rear of the boat float up), get out of the truck, jump in the boat, lean over from the front deck and unhook the bow, fire it up and reverse off the trailer, tie up to the dock and go park the truck leaving the boat running for its warm up. Some will tie a rope to the trailer (especially if no dock is available)or some use the bowstrap, and back up until the boat floats off, then untying it and pulling it alongside the truck. If you have to beach for any reason you ought to be emailing me for a KeelShield, it will save your hull a lot of damage when/if you have to beach for any reason.

Most of my ramps are very steep and without docks, I unhook all but the bow strap, back until the stern starts to float, stop and set the truck, connect bow line, slide the boat in, use a spike for a tie off.

Drive on when returning.

I also bought a Q-beam 12V Dc Spotlight with a magnet mount for dark times. It can be hand held, so I carry it in the boat if I know that it will be dark when I return. The light has both spot and broad beam. My ramps do not have lights.

cq

I attach a 50' rope to the winch hook and float the boat off. I pull the trailer out of the water, grab the rope from the winch and pull the boat to the dock or shore and tie it up. Park the truck/trailer and go fishing. Most of my early season fishing is solo, my kids aren't home from college then. Once they get home, my daughter calls me every week, "when are we going fishing?!!"

I've launched / loaded my boat(s) all my life by myself. Most of my fishing for years was solo. Now, I rarely go solo but, I have a set routine so as not to forget anything. i.e. drain plug, wiring adapter etc. I usually launch or load as quickly as any 2 people doing so.

All the above advice is good. I prepare for launch in the prep area before actually backing to the water. The only thing I wait until the water for is to release the winch strap. Depending on ramp slope, this can be done in seconds either in, or last thing before climbing in boat. while tying up to dock I may be delayed @ 1 - 1 1/2 minutes before pulling truck/trailer up to park. I've never had anyone complain (@ ramp), about taking too long.

p.s. If I do have an experienced boater with me, I let them back me in and park. Also have them back in the trailer when loading.

Normally, the problem is loading alone. Besides all the "normal" loading challenges, doing it alone just adds to it. Make it Spring, Fall or Winter and it get's downright dangerous. Even in good warm water, right Fatrap? That bump go down yet:lol: :lol:

Your problem is doing it with a skirt on!:lol:

Plaid at that!:p

Payback:wub:

I guess I'll jump in and give it a shot. We have 2 three lane boat ramps here so space is not an issue. I can take my time without bothering or holding anyone up. Bad weather coming in today and windy tomorrow so maybe Sunday or Monday.

Yeah Tox....I'm good. Always a good idea to tie the boatot the dock securely. I can launch by myslef as I do it most of the time but! I HAVE to have a dock no dock no launch. Or at least a mud bank to pull up on instead of rip rap.

fatrap

PS Tox I've practiced in warm water to get into my Tundra and it's extremely difficult.

I mounted a FlexStep on the winch stand. It makes it easy to climb in and out of the boat over the bow, when the boat is on the trailer. This has made solo launch and retrieval fairly routine and easy for me. Targa

No I don't, but you can go to www.keelguard.com to look at it. It's pricey, but very well made. I couldn't climb in and out over the bow without it. Targa

I unhook everything but the winch strap, and leave about 2 feet of slack in the strap. When I back down the ramp I watch the strap until it "tightens out". I get out of truck, unhook the winch strap, walk up the EzeeSteps onto boat and back off. Dock or beach boat (yup, get a keelguard/shield) and then park truck. Real quick and easy. Reverse procedure to load up.

I'm 65 YO and a couple things help me load and launch like a young fella. First is the EzeeSteps - just walk on or walk off your bass boat. (I'll never own another bass boat trailer without 'em) Second thing I like is Liquid Rollers - backing off trailer and especially driving on trailer (without power loading) is really slick and smooth. Just my .02 and your experience may be different.

I can see I'll be spending some money. Looks good. thanks guys. Sean

Climbing over the front of my Tundra from the trailer you need to be a rock climber. It's about chest high.

fatrap

Like Gary, regardless of ramp or dock availability on my boats now and various prior boats (fresh & salt), I pull out about 6'-10' of winch strap, back in to float off and tighten slack moving the bulk of weight into water, then pull up a bit to undo strap and enter boat without getting wet. My Skiff allows me to put half in and with half out against the bunks I can step up on the fender from the water's edge and motor out with dry feet. Good luck! ;)

Although it does state:

Alumicraft, G3 Lowes and Lund it will not fit any aluminum boat with "knife like" keels.

Wonder if the "Revolution Hull" follows that category? It is a sharp Vee at the front....

I launch alone all the time. I back in till she starts to float, climb in boat and drive it off. Pull up to a dock (or if no dock beach it on the KEELSHEILD), drop the power poles and then go park the truck. Reverse to put her back

Latest posts

Back