Solar battery charging becoming a good alternative?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Stern

Reaction score
Wanted to post this for those of you who might be faced with charging trolling batteries in a remote location with no access to utility power.

In the last few months, I've been researching adding solar to our cabin as a backup power source, and have been surprised by how much the prices on panels and related equipment have been dropping (it's all those government loans!). I decided to try an experiment to see if I could recharge a trolling battery by equipment that could easily be mounted on my dock.

Now, keep in mind: I am not a tournament angler. I have a 12v minnkota Powerdrive with a single group 27 Interstate deep cycle on my boat. Maybe 100 amp-hours. Most of our fishing outings are 3 hour jaunts on weekends or summer vacation days. Our trolling battery doesn't get pressed very hard. The requirements for a two or three battery setup, and/or a battery that gets used hard on multiple days will obviously be more intense.

I took a group 24, 85 amp-hour deep cycle batter, fully charged, and drained about 18 amps from it via an ammeter, inverter and a 75 watt light bulb. Then, I put the battery on a solar charge controller and a 40 watt panel. Because I am testing this at my home, I only have full sunlight without any tree interference for about 6 hours a day. In full sun, this setup was charging the battery at 2.7 amps per hour. If it was very hazy or partial cloud cover, the rate dropped back to 1 to 1.5 amps. The battery was full charged after about 9 hours of sun exposured. Pretty decent for my casual purposes.

40wattsolartest.jpg

Some things to keep in mind:

- This is in Georgia, where even in April, the sun pretty much parks itself overhead all afternoon. Ideal for solar.

- This is a modestly sized panel (about 2ft square, weighs about 10 pounds). Easily small enough to lay on the deck of a boat or nearby surface. 80 watt and 120 watt panels are proportionately bigger, but still quite portable. A 120 watt panel would give close to 10 amps per hour of charge. There are also panels and chargers that support 24v and 36v charging.

Obviously, this isn't ideal for everyone, but the panels are getting more potent for less money. About $1.25/watt in these sizes, and the charge controllers are under $50.

Just an FYI for anyone who might have a use for solar with their boat charging.

Great post Rich. Solar panels are the future - for sure. When I can clad my deck, fore and aft, with walk-on indestructible solar panels that recharge my batteries while I'm fishing (or parked in the yard) than I'm buying in, big time. It's a gold mine for the entrepreneur who can make the concept work. It's only a matter of time.

Thanks for the research and the post.

Great post Rich! I use a small 5W solar trickle (linked below) mounted on the roof of my hunt cabin down in Greene Co. I wired and run all 12V appliances (Lights, TV, Fan, Coffee Pot) from a single group 31 A/C Delco Voyager that's hooked to the charger. It was $10 cheaper when I got mine and it is the best $40 I've spent on the "Garage-Mahal". I've ran it for up to four days on the battery without a problem and it's fully charged every time I go with no generator noise. I love it! :D
http://www.amazon.com/Sunforce-5002...06JO0TC/ref=pd_sim_auto_1/190-3089474-7178820

Great post, which solar panel and charger controller is that? Looks like a great setup.

Thanks.

Reno

Great post indeed! Also good info on solar specs and battery demand. Not quite practical for me yet, but getting there. Thanks.

Reno, it's a Solar Cynergy 40 watt panel. The charger is a Steca 6.6A. The Steca is not rated for weather exposure, so I wouldn't use it for an exposed location. It will be mounted inside a dock box, under the dock roof. There are plenty of solar charger controllers that can be mounted out in the weather; just a few dollars more. The Steca does what most decent smart chargers do: Bulk, tapering and maintenance charge modes.

Both came from the company at the link below.
http://www.solarblvd.com/

Wanted to post an update on this. After two seasons, this solution continues to be a winner. My trolling battery has not once had to be plugged into an AC outlet. The solar panel and charger have worked beautifully.

IMG024.jpg

Back