So I cleaned my hull yesterday...

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt4:19

Reaction score
Over the weekend, I decided it was time to clean off the bottom of the '99 Nitro I bought over the winter. Previous owner left it in the water so he could use it during the winter draw down. First, I sprayed it down with the pressure washer. Then we used a scrub brush to loosen the algae and mud that was stuck to the bottom and sprayed it with the pressure washer again. After that, I sprayed on some hull cleaner and let it set for a few minutes. My son and I watched the brown start turning to white. We sprayed it down with the pressure washer again and let the water run off for a couple minutes and then sprayed it down again with hull cleaner one more time. The bottom is almost completely white now, BUT it feels rough where it was brown and covered in mud and algae. What can we do to the rough areas on bottom where all the brown stuff used to be?

Thanks,
Chris

Attachments

• work in progress.jpg
    work in progress.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • scrubbing the bottom.jpg
    scrubbing the bottom.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • after first treatment with cleaner.jpg
    after first treatment with cleaner.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
1st time back on the water after cleaning the crud off the bottom. Using a GPS speed app on my phone and it showed that we hit 45mph on the last run we made. We had a full load of fishing gear and 2 people. I may need new start/throttle controls.

Attachments

• IMG_5698.MOV
    22.2 MB
Over the weekend, I decided it was time to clean off the bottom of the '99 Nitro I bought over the winter. Previous owner left it in the water so he could use it during the winter draw down. First, I sprayed it down with the pressure washer. Then we used a scrub brush to loosen the algae and mud that was stuck to the bottom and sprayed it with the pressure washer again. After that, I sprayed on some hull cleaner and let it set for a few minutes. My son and I watched the brown start turning to white. We sprayed it down with the pressure washer again and let the water run off for a couple minutes and then sprayed it down again with hull cleaner one more time. The bottom is almost completely white now, BUT it feels rough where it was brown and covered in mud and algae. What can we do to the rough areas on bottom where all the brown stuff used to be?

Thanks,
Chris
You’ll probably have to buff the hull with an abrasive compound. But always use the least abrasive compound that gets the job done. If you haven’t used a buffer before an orbital buffer used with foam pads is the safest way to go. If you have any kind of car polish around the house try some of that on a rag. If it takes the scum off it will give you a starting point on the strength of what compound you need. Plan on doing the whole boat. Get at least four foam buffing pads. The pads will also come in different coarse grades. But you can wash them out very easily. Good luck

Latest posts

Back