Small Mouth Fishing

• Thread starter Christopher Laurencio
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christopher Laurencio

Reaction score
I need some fishing advice from the Smallies experts out there, I primarily fish for LMB in the Northern NJ area, I am going fishing in a man made lake that has a good population of SMB's. The structure is some flooded woods about 10%-20% of shoreline and the rest of the shoreline is that rip-rap rock with a quick deep drop-off. I fish in shallow areas with jerk baits, and plastics. I don't think this will work here.

What lures should I use to get the SMB? Color?

Chartreus, in senkos, crankbaits, smallies like bright colors.

Oh geeezz, if I answer this, am I a cocky know it all, self acclaimed smallie "expert"???

Sorry CJL, but I get heat for answering some posts from time to time.

Stick with the jerkbait. Use luckycraft pointer 100's or Rogues if you don't want to spend that much. As far as color, try to match what natural forage exists in the lake.

But you really can't go wrong with a silver with black back. Throw it on 10 or 12 lb test and really work it. Crank it down 3-4 turns to get the bait down, then start jerking the rod, like a mini hook set, with the rod tip close to the water. Make the rips about 2-3 long each time, and switch up the cadence. The idea is for the bait to be erratic. Also, you may want to put a few suspenda strips on the belly of the bait. Ideally, you want it to slowly sink, head first.

Also try grubs and tubes in green pumpkin and/or watermelon.

Work that rip rap wall really well with the jerkbait and then the drop off next to it with the grub on 8 lb test. Just drag the grub/tube along the bottom feeling for anything different.

Good luck.

all second what Rob said plus add some stuff. Another thing to try is a spinnerbait. Chartruse color with twin chartruse painted blades. From my experience smallies hate that bait and will absolutely crush it. I have had them charge out of 40' of water and just hammer a spinnerbait and bend it like a pretzel. I also like spider grubs is watermellon and green pumpkin if they are deep. If you like to C-rig the same color lizzards work well.

Thanks, Hey Rob I use a lot of Rapalas floating and Husky jerk, can I substitute the Luck craft's with them? Is a Luck Craft Live Pointer any good. They look really cool but never tried a Lucky Craft before, would it be safe to assume that if I like Rapalas I would like Lucky Craft?

If you like Rapala's you will LOVE the luckycraft. They arent cheap but i wont buy anything else anymore. After hearing Rob rave about them i decided to trhy some and they do work very well and they suspend better then any other bait i have ever seen.

Rob,

You are being too hard on yourself. You are just cocky! LOL

Rich D

CJL, the Rapalas will work. Luckycrafts are ready to fish right out of the box. With many other jerkbaits, I either have to change the hooks, shave the bill, or do some other mod to make them work right. With luckycrafts, they cast a mile suspend great,and I only have add margin suspenda strips, based on water temp to make them suspend the way I want.

Luckycraft finishes are excellent, so in ultra clear water, or highly pressured lakes, they are worth every penny. The live pointer looks awesome, but I have not thrown one yet. I will be getting a couple this week. I can only assume that with the added action of the jointed tail, they will work even better.

I agree. Rob is a cocky, know it all, self acclaimed smallie expert!!! LOL!!

And he backs it up on Champlain all of the time. Just fish with him.

Bob G.
P8240849B.JPG

Hey thanks Bob, that's the nicest thing you've said to me....I think! LOL

Talked to Marke last night by the way. BBQ is on for Saturday night.

Bob, you doing the pike derby??? I can't remember if you said yes or no.

Your liveweel???? Your livewell had beer in it, so you could stay the night on the cribs until I brought you a new lower unit!

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Touche..... that's not "tushy" either, even though you are wearing the pink hat.

Besides, the only beer you brought was a 40 oz'er that you polished off yourself!!LOL!

TOXIC

True, I do owe you a couple. That was kind of rude. We should have brought some. But IF you get your lazy rear up here for Memorial day weekend, there will be plenty of brew. But hey...you got "things" to do...I understand! LOL NOT!!!!!

ok, i've got the tools... now tell me how to locate the brown beasties!

Well first, you need a pink hat and a naugathong! And you need the password.

"blue grub"

---------

---------

---

---------

The rest I will not confirm or deny.

I have great success with shallow shad raps by Rapala in Canada in extremely clear water. Husky jerks and originals work well too. Water temp is approx 60 degrees the first week of June.

Hey Bob - Does Rob have any pictures less then 2 years old!!!! LOL

HAD to throw that in!!! BWWWAAAAA

Trep,

No....all of the Champlain Smallies look alike anyways!!!!

Bob G.

Latest posts

Back