Shimano DC:

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzz Bouvier

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has used the Shimano Calais 4x8 DC reels? I got a couple for the holidays and I haven't ever used any Shimano product with the Digital Control feature. I have the Calais exculsivley on my baitcasters, with the exception of the two Calcutta 100 GT that I used for Carolina fishing. I have the 100's,200's, and the 200 APV's, and was wondering what the best application for the DC would be. I was thinking of flipping or pitching with them.

Buzz

Those reels are INCREDIBLE! The rep was in our store a month or so back and we spooled it up. On the A (accuracy mode) we could pitch it into a wall and it wouldnt backlash. We also took it outside and cast it in the L mode and we wouldnt even thumb the spool....INCREDIBLE reel to say the least.

If I ever got one i'd have to put it on a flippin' stick. You can pitch things up under docks and it wont backlash.

BJ

If I ever get my thumb amputated, I'm going to get disability to get me a dozen of those.:lol:

Harpo

For my birthday earlier this year my wife offered to buy me any reel of my choice. :D After much research with an offer like that I chose the Antares DC. The Antares DC is the Japanese early release of the Calais DC. The reel is in a world of its own. I made the mistake on my first time out with it to put it in L mode (Antares), X mode (Calais ), and let a crankbait fly. This is like taking all breaking systems out of any of your favorite reels and freespooling. I had to respool the reel and was cussing this very expensive reel and myself for being the idiot who bought it. :angry: The X setting is only good if you are trying to chuck a truck tire to a blue cat on the James river. The US version got this right when they renamed this Xtreme. Then I put it on W, which is where you should start, that is when I realised the difference between this reel and every other reel I own. Keep your big fat thumb off this reel because I can guarantee your brain is not as quick as the computer chip in this reel. I pride myself on being able to set reels to freespool and brake with my thumb, but all reels are slowed by there braking system no matter which way you set it up. Set your tension and external 1-10 on W and then just adjust on L&A. Once you have done this it will be hard for you to pick up another rod. I chose the 5.8:1, which is only available in Japan, yours is a 7.0:1. So unless your Kevin Van Dam you might wan't to consider slowing your roll on the retrieve. I will be buying the US version, but at over $600 a pop it will be taking me a while. You are a lucky man with " a couple" of them. :wub:

ToolTime Tim.
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshimanocalaisdcreview.html

Latest posts

Back