Sharkhide Application...

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOMMY RICH

Reaction score
O.K....I know it's that time of year when most all lil' riggies take their winter naps and was wondering who on this site is gonna' do Sharkhide?

I tell ya' guys...after 4 years and just cleaned the SS Tracker up last week while the weather was nice...she still will knock your eyeballs out!:lol:

I have some more recent pictures from over the summer that are updated since it was a Bass Tracker...I'll try to get em' up soon.

Do it and don't looked back...I haven't yet.

I may touch up a few spots this winter but, overall she looks like she'll go a few more before reapplication;)

Tee, I saw your file and it looks great but the TV-18 has a painted hull. I wish they hadn't done that or it would have applied the sharkhide.

Randy!

TEE when you did yours did they offer the acid wash? They shpow one on thier web page, that you follow up with thier polish (then the SH). I was jus wandering if you tried any acid wash or if you just spent 2 months breaking your elbows?:) I have heard of peole using an acid wash and said it cleans up pretty good. But I wanted to ask the man.:lol: Also how many cans of the SH did it take to do your boat, (if I remember you only did from the water line up right). And how lond did it take you to finish. I may get froggy and polish on the tin rig.:lol:

Donnie

Here's the clincher Donnie...You'll still have to polish regardless of weather you use the acid wash or not:wacko:

Whatever finish is underneath...the Sharkhide is clear so it just magnifies whatever is there.

I wouldn't do the acid wash unless it has some real bad corrosion that won't come off with polishing.

I can tell you also my buddy did his boat with an orbital polisher but, believe mine looks better in the sun...his has a ton of swirls but, you can't really see them unless your right up on it.

I did the whole sides down to the bottom, front all the way down just below the water line and where you can't tell from a standing postion...about where the first beam is on the trailer.

I also did the topcap and transom...everything but, the bottom.

You will only need one quart to do an 18 footer or less with some leftover. It goes a looong way because it's so thin.

It's not as bad as it sounds as far as effort and the reward is the ultimate! :cool:

Total time polishing by hand...about 20 hours of on and off elbow grease. Just don't tackle it at one time.

Application is easy with a 4" sponge roller...about 2 hours and 48 hr. cure time.

When your feelin' "froggy", just shoot me an e-mail and I'll walk you thru it.

I've given a few a lot of advice on application but, yet to have someone complete the project...sooooooo Donnie, your my guniea pig!:lol:

Just a note--for those of you expecting Tracker to cover everything or add a warning about everything--this product is NOT to be used on fiberglass. :lol::lol:

True....I bet it would melt the glass!:unsure:

This stuff is very flammable when wet also...so be careful:lol:

I would think the acid wash they sell would make the polishing procces alot easier. I buffed my top cap by hand a few years back and it like tuff. I tried the electric orbital and I could not keep the pad on it, so I have scrapped that idea.Hmmm I may try it, but it will have to be after the new year.

Donnie

You can do it easy with a buffer...problem is do you have about 100 bonnets to use?

Seriously....a 12"x12" area will turn black instantly and you just can't buff the oxidation into the aluminum...you'll have one heck of mess,trust me.

Just do those same areas by hand and the trick is to not let the polish dry out...buff out the 12x12 area with some quick elbow buffs and wipe away quickly. The oxidation will come right off the aluminum and turn the rag black, then you need to flip the rag costantly to a clean area or you will rub it right back in. That's why I say, "It's really easier by hand and you'll have better results. You know that I have tried them all including buffing:p

I don't care for the acid wash because of toxsisity of it and it'll turn it white and you have to watch stickers,tires and carpet.

Latest posts

Back