Senko Prices

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis Smith

Reaction score
WHy are senkos so expensive? I have been hearing about them and as i was curious i went shopping for them ant wet to a few local sporting goods stores like Mc Sports priced them at 3.99 for kinami qty. 7 and Gary Yammamoto at 4.99 qty 10 then at Gander Mountain 5.99 qty 10 for Gary Yammamoto and 4.99 qty 7 for Kinami then at a couple other places i found them for almost 7 dollars a bag for 10 Gary Yammamoto Senkos!!

My question is, Are these high prices from store mark up? Because i know they arnt imported...there made in arizona. Or is it because its a new fad? I was also wondering what prices are by where you shop for all your bassin gear.

Thanks

T.S.

Yamamotos are expensive period. So are his sons. If you like the Senko, try the Bass Pro Shops Stick-O. I like it better and it even comes in a suspending model now.

Mini

mini is right. But the only argument is...how much are you willing to pay to catch fish. I have seen the senkos work when nothing else would...nothing (artifical that is). That includes all of the senko knock offs. I get a discount through the marina, so that is where I buy them.

TOXIC

Travis -

Like Mini, I use the BPS Stick-O's.

Phenomenal bait!

Favorite is the 4" watermelon/red flake.

Favorite way to fish them is using a #3 wide gap hook, 6# line and light spinning gear.

me!

I have tried the others, and still keep going back to the original senko from GYCB. Maybe it's a confidence thing, but I personally think that the combination of it's texture/weight/salt content/flavor is unique, and I ahve yet to find any clone that was as good...

As to the prices, GYCB sets the price, and there should be very little variation on it. They are "price controlled" to the greatest extent. If you are finding too much variation, go to thier website store and get the correct prices.

I personally don't see them as expensive, because they work so well...

Kinami baits are the exact same bait, (same molds, same formula) but they appear cheaper because you are buying less baits in a package.

My Favorites?

4" Slim Senko - 240

4"/5" regular senko - 905, 194, 297, 240, 208, 303, 300

5" Slim Senko - 157, 297

5" Kut Tails - 157, 323, 297, 240, 208

Ikas - 214, 236, 284, 239

Grubs (4") - 214, 208, 240, 157, 169, 323, 303

If I can't catch fish on one of these, I might as well go home.

(BTW, the 5" Slim senko is a killer!!!! )

Seen this type of post many times. While I haven't done much Senko fishing as yet, I have several packages ready and waiting (mostly for me to get off my duff!). I've compared several of the knock off's to the senko's that I have, and they are not the same 'feel' and/or density.

Many, many folks that fish Senko's swear by them. For the most part, they are more expensive than regular soft plastics, but then again - what's new with that. Most of the time when I'm fishing, especially in a tourney (club or federation), I'd pay much more in hard dollars for one or two more fish.

If you are losing them, and not catching much in return, they are certainly expensive. However, so is a new DT-10 that get's tangled up in a rock or brush pile.

We all should do the same thing. If you don't like the price, simply don't buy them. No use complaining, for it's their product and they seem to be selling plenty of them.

After all, I still fork out way too much money for those vehicles that the Detroit Three put out. And I'm convinced those are overpriced!

Tex

To put it simply, Senkos work! If I had to choose one bait for largemouths, it would be Senkos in black/blue and green pumpkin. The Kinami Flash in watermelon is a producer most days also. I use 20# Power Pro line with a swivel and 14# mono leader and cast it into heavy cover for LM. I like to twitch it through the tall grass then jerk it back to the boat. Pike and rock bass like them too!!

Bob G.

I don't have an answer for one working or not working better than anything else.

YES, some people SWEAR by them while others say xyz bait is just as good. Then someone else will come back and say that they tried xyz bait and it's nothing like the original.

Let's not be fooled here.... GYCB has lots of stickers on trucks around here, which makes me think they're sponsored in some way. When Rick Clunn uses a Bass Pro reel in competition instead of a 300+ calais, that tells me that "sponsorship" is important as far as what items you push. Let's face it, we ALL want to be pros and have someone give us freebies.

So, that being said, I'll question SimNitro on other baits. For instance, I've got GREAT confidence in the wacky worm (Zoom trick worm -- BPS's knock-off is same price, fewer colors, so I stay with Zoom). I don't think GYCB makes a trick worm (or didn't recognize it by your names above). Are you saying that you won't fish anything but these baits?

Confidence means a LOT. If you have confidence in a bait and aren't catching fish, it's because the fish aren't there. If you find fish, you have your confidence bait tied on, so you're using it. Therefore, your confidence is once again boosted. Confidence is as fragile as the male ego, but once you have it built up, nothing can break it.

Other worms???

Well, for wacky worming, I just continue with my senko. For curly tails, I dont often use them, but will use the powerbait versions when I do, and Yamamoto does have a curly tail worm....

Yammi does make a trick worm of sorts, and my LBS will have another size of them in stock (apparently a special run of sorts) that I am very excited about.

Other plastics? I didnt list the double tail grub/hula grub from GYCB that I use for a trailer on my Jigs, and I have also been using the new Sweet Beaver, Paca Craw and the Kinami Norries Bug, all with great success. I also use various other Yum Creature baits, depending on my mood. Yammi tubes are also good, but I like the Ika so much that I forget I have the hollow tubes.

The baits I listed above are my "never leave home without them" list...and I'm sure I left a couple of color codes off...

Of course, this doesnt even begin to start down the hard baits....

I think the biggest key has to be confidence... if you have confidence in the bait you are using, and the area you are fishing, you will keep your bait in the water longer, and work it "harder"...thereby catching more fish.

Dry baits catch very few fish.

Go with your confidence, don't be afraid to experiment, and always follow your instincts...can't even beging to tell you the number of times when looking for confidence color #1, that I instead decided (on a whim, with no apparent reasoning) to try color #14 and caught good fish immediately...

Expensive... only when they are sitting dry in a compartment forgotten about, or left at home becasue I know I wont use them... got loads of that stuff.

One more thought:

With the many thousands of plastic baits/colors and combinations on the market, I chose, after many frustrating trips, to slim down to the GYCB varieties and concentrate on them. Since then, and since gaining more confidence in T-rigging and soft baits in general, I have started re-expanding the arsenal.

Before, I just had too much to choose from, now I have more of a "reason" behind each package of plastic in the boat. So when I buy a zoom/powerbait/gulp/yum/sticko... whatever I have already established some form of confidence in it.

It's way to easy to get over whelmed by all the choices.

GYCB is one of the easiest to get overwhelmed by. They have LOTS of colors and it sure makes it hard to decide. :)

Marketing.....marketing......marketing! THAT'S why Yamamoto's are $6.99 per 10. IF you take the time to throw BPS, Gamblers, or any other quality knock off, they WILL work, they have the same action when they fall and eratic motion when jerked. The only thing the senkos have that I like is a bigger color selection.

Mr. Yamamoto doesnt sponsor too many people. He does offer some discounts, but outside Roland, Takahiro and himself not too many people are getting paid.

Mini

Janns netcraft has a 5 1/4 saltyjogger for $3.59 for twenty.

I have not yet tried them,but will with my next order.

The website doesn't do this place justice.If you want to order anything,e.mail them for a catalog.They have so much stuff.

If you want to make your own spinners or cranks or anything else,this is the place.I have ordered alot of stuff,and every order has been perfect.

Steve
http://jannsnetcraft.com

I hate it when I gotta agree with Rob.....

Marketing..... Marketing..... Marketing.....

OK guys

I've not tried "Senko" . I'ld like to try--- For starters -- what is the best size and color to start with?? And what is the best way to rig them?

Remember -- I've been away from fishing for awhile. Just pond fished--

Thanks

HaleDamage

Hey Toxic -- How much you charge for lessons in KC?? LOL

Damage -

Like I said above.....

Mostly, I use the Stick-O version in 4" watermelon/red flake with a #3 wide gap hook set in just as if you were t- or c-rigging a worm. I fish it like a soft plastic jerk bait on a 5'6" light action spinning outfit with 6# line. This is great around docks, stick-ups, brush or shorelines.

I've also used a medium-light casting rig with 8# line and the Stick-O hooked the same way - but added a very small split shot or crimp-on bullet weight on the line right at the eye of the hook. Fish this a bit deeper.

me!

Scott,

I think 6# line is a little light for hauling bass out of brush and heavy cover. I have broken off 10# line quite a bit and that's why I switched to 20# power pro with a mono leader. This is only my opinion and it's not like I'm a pro!!

Bob G.

Bob's right....but I consider the senko a finesse bait and usually don't throw it in the heaviest cover. Texsposed, 5" watermelon or pumpkin is very universal. Rig it on a 3.0 EWG gamakatsu offset shank hook. Like my last post on this, most people overwork them. They are a "do-nothing" or deadstick bait. Too much action and they are not as effective...now that's on my home water, and they are different everywhere.

Can't agree with the marketing theory...how may times have you seen them advertised and where? No mass sponsorship...no TV, he does do his own tourney series but all of the popularity comes from word of mouth. And they will outperform the knock-offs in most situations, I know because I have thrown them back to back and side by side with the knock offs. Come to one of my seminars and I tell some of the other reasons like the unique mold pour and the density/action. I have yet to see a knock off mimic the same action. JMHO....

TOXIC

you're quite right, Bob.....

6# line is very light for around brush and the like..... But I just happen to prefer lighter tackle..... You should have seen my father's face the first time he saw me using a light-weight spinning rod off his dock in Florida! Snook, jacks and sheepshead on a 5' spinning rod with 6# line! That was FUN!

me!

Just caught these and a few others fishing with Greg Meyer tonight....on wacky rigged Senko's with 6# line. What a blast...Senko's worth every penny!
DSC00002.JPG

And WHERE were they when I was up?!?! LOL. You saw how many smallies I nailed throwing them at the dike in the river. Had you used them before last night? Good fish!! Now explain just how you worked them.

TOXIC

I wish I could have showed you fish like these when you were up! Different lake that would have been a hike for you to make it to. I was skipping them WAY up under docks in very clear water....and then count to 10. I have used the Senko before but this is the first year I have put much effort into them. Never would have guessed such a boring looking thing would catch them like it does!

--Corey

Latest posts

Back