Scary Thought

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Hammer TOXIC

Reaction score
Now, most of you know I have this aversion to flame and fire but I was thinking the other day when I actually climbed in my boat UNDER the storage cover to get a rod out of the rod locker, there was a pretty strong smell of gasoline....I know there are no leaks in my tank and all of the hoses are OK but it just seems to me as I stood and looked at the EXTENSION CORD plugged into my onboard charger that electricty (and also batteries) + gas fumes = BOOM. Valid concern or not??? My buddy with a big cabin cruiser has a bilge vent fan that runs BEFORE startup. I think now I know why.

TOXIC

You can put a ventilation plate on the top cap above the transom. Many boats come with them standard. But you have to be a good enough boater not to get the splash when coming off of plane. But that also means drilling on your baby. Yuck.................sa

A ventilation plate wouldn't really help IMO. Gas fumes are heavier than air and "float" along the bottom of the bilge area, thats why inboards have a blower fan to exhaust the fumes. I'm no expert but that's my take on it.

On a side note, I don't have an onboard charger (yet) but I always open the battery/gas compartment lid for several minutes while I set up my battery charger and let the compartment air out before turning the charger on.

damuniz

That must be why all mfg's recc. good ventilation when charging batteries.

Point being, if you tarp the top a vent won't help. As strong as the fumes were, I assume that at some point they would become potentially volatile...

TOXIC

NEWSFLASH!! Charging electrical components makes explosive gasses by itself! :)

It's my understanding that it's not a good idea to charge something up unless it's well ventilated.. Whatever other explosive gasses might be lurking under there soon become inconsequential anyway...

I UNDERSTAND.....but who doesn't leave their rig tarped while maintaining a charge on their batteries??? At this very moment, my rig is tarped in the driving rain with the on-board charger maintaining a sufficient charge on both of my TM batteries.............oh wait a minute.....there's this big ball of flame where my boat used to be.....the back half is blown off.....now it looks like a tin rig.....

TOXIC

TOXIC, now matter how badly your boat was damaged, it could NEVER look like a tin rig! Lets not carried away here!

TOXIC.. I don't have an onboard charger, so I don't have to worry about these kinds of dilemmas... =P My battery is sitting on my workbench in the garage, waiting to be put back in the boat.. That way, if I blow ANYTHING up, it'll be the house!! It only makes sense to do it this way, because I have *insurance* on the house! BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

BTW, just kidding w/ the NEWSFLASH thing.. Hope you didn't take it (me) too seriously! :)

Nah, I've been hangin around Rob too long and gettin all emotional in my posts.....I've got the thickest skin of anybody I know. I have never been "Offended" on any board. Actually, I thought it was a pretty good question... at what point do the fumes become a problem?? I have this image of my battery charger detecting low charge in one battery ....clicking on with a small spark jump at a battery terminal and KABAM!! Of course I can also imagine Rob running around flicking his bic and saying "watch what happens when I do this" LOL!!

TOXIC

ROTFLMFBJNO! THAT's (flicked bic) not fiber anything for those who can't decode!

Really is a good question. A single spark could ignite the whole thing. Hydrocloric acid in a gas form is very volital. Ever here of a car battery blowing up..Taint pretty it happens when the battery is just about dry and a sparks at a loose connection or while jump starting from another car..That is why you always hook up the dead batt first and then the good batt pos 1st then the neg. The dead batt may still blow up but you won't be looking at it with your hands there also. Gas fumes again are volital remember it not the liquid gas that burns it is the fumes. I leave my onboard charger plugged in with the cover on and stay on top of my insurance premiums...

BF

Toxic:

Don't worry about fumes or gasses or explosions. Remember, you've got one of them fancy sparkly indestructable glass rigs we've been reading about SO MUCH lately!

Seriously, I get the same odor but I've noticed that I get it when there are wild temperature fluctuations. I keep the compartment lids open when I'm charging, and I keep a small fan handy to circulate air if I think the fumes will be a problem.

My boat's got a gas fume valve on the fuel fill line, that helps disperse fumes away from the bilge. The ventilation plate lets the charging/battery fumes escape (that's what I meant earlier). The main concern I have heard is the battery spark igniting the flames or a battery exploding near all these fumes.

You should pull that damn thing out of there and look around, you actually might have a leak. The gas is not supposed to smell that strong if it's well contained. Did you spill some before maybe?

Nope, dry as a bone back there. Both bilge and rear well. I have never even had to run my bilge (on this boat). This bigg glass darlin sits down off plane so gentle I get no backwash, the lids are so tight, I get no leakage. I do get some run off from the cooler if I use cube ice instead of freezer packs but that's an end of the day pull plug deal. My back deck lid suctions shut so tight that I strain a vein everytime I open it up. I just think that the boat is tarped, the gas tank is vented and the fumes are gathering in the tarp and back well. It makes me a little nervous with 3 batteries, 57 gallons of gas, 3 gallons of oil and 120 electricity piped in. I think with the two-cycles we just get a little too used to smelling the gas and oil. Sooooo, I'll lift the tarp occasionally and quit stickin my head in there with my stogie lit.

TOXIC

Yeah I'm riht there with you. I charge 3 batteries on my charger, and usually have to put the cover on, but if it's not going to rain (which is rare where I live...it always rains) then I leave the top off overnight. Last night I had to put the cover on.

I actually hit a gator with my prop yesterday. I tried slowing down (from about 60) but I guess I came up on him too quick and he wouldn't move, I just barely clipped him, so I don't think he'll be in any real trouble................sa

See there's a problem you don't have up north, or manatees! But you DO have to watch out for commorants and geese. Not fun dodging those at 60mph.

Add bugs to my misery. I had about 20 splattered skeeters on my face! Those things hurt at that speed.

What the hell is a commorant?

It's a "BASS EATING" waterfowl...

bad part, it's federally PROTECTED!

aaarrrrggghhh

Don't you aim for them in your boat Rob???

az

Steve - What are you driving a waterbound Hummer and a Kelvar helmet with neck brace?? "I had about 20 splattered skeeters on my face" MAN o MAN were those the little 16fters or were they the 21ft 225hp Skeeters?? Did you hit any Rangers or Tritons that day?>? LOL

LAKE PIGEONS,

There's only one thing they do more of than EAT....and that's CRAP. They are disgusting useless fish eating machines that, the same as the black fly, should be pushed into extinction (all except for the resident swarm in Neeley's britches).

TOXIC

Commorants.......hmmm where to begin. There are a nuisance migratory bird that eat up to 50% their weight in fish each day that NYDEC just recently discovered (morons) can be up to a 10" bass! The average bird weighs about 12 lbs, that's 6 lbs a fish per bird, per day, and they estimate that there are anywhere from 10-12K of them on Champlain. That number is low. We'll use the 12k for our little exercise shall we? That's 72,000 lbs of forage and young bass and other game fish leaving Champlain DAILY! Or 36 tons! Over the course of 1 season say only 100 days.....yeah right, 3,600 tons or 7 million, 200 thousands pounds of fish......a problem??????? naaaaaaa! Guide on Erie were arrested after losing their business to the birds and banded together, went to a nesting island with cases of shells and 12 ga shotguns and "relieved" the ecosystem of about 400-500 of these birds. They have completely destroyed about a dozen islands on Champlain, now devoid of any vegetation. And DEC is JUST now deciding that they are a problem? By the time they decide what to do, it will be far too late. And oh yeah, the guides that were arrested....a week later DEC went out and greased a bunch of eggs anyway. Don't do as I do, do as I say! ERRRRRRRR!!!!! Tox, I don't try to hit them, ever hit a bird at 50+ mph? Could kill you literally! Hit a seagull once that I didn't see, scary! Didn't kill the bird but scared him and I real well. The cormmorants are also sight feeders that can dive up to 40+ feet deep and stay down for up to 2 minutes. Combine this with the increased visibility due to the introduction of zebra mussells and you get increased natural predation of commorants, in layman's terms.....a double whammie against the fish! What game fish they don't eat they make up for in that fish's forage like alewive, perch, etc. So if they don't eat walleye, they do eat the walleye's dinner! Totally screwing up the whole lake. There are tons of 2-5 lb smallies left but very few dinks. When the 4 and 5 lbers die off and it's time for those dinks to take their place in 5-6 years, there won't be any and the lake will suffer what many others do, a fish drought. That coupled with increased tourney pressure......well you get the idea, I could go on and on!

Yeah Trep, I wouldn't mind cutting up a few 21 footers, and certainly would aim for a Ranger or two;?)

But I'd seriously rather attach one of those pesticide gas dispensers to my boat. Just like the "skeeter trucks" that drive thorugh our neighborhoods at night.

Man, no kidding, just as the sun touched the top of the trees, we could hear a steady hum of a skeeter blanket laying down across the Stick Marsh. It was insane!

Anyone got a job for me in Tennessee? I am really looking to move to the Knoxville area. I hope they don't have of those bass-eatin, crap droppin commorants though. They sound like a pain in the ass!

I believe they make their way south in the winter! Not sure how far or where to but they ARE migratory. Actually called double breasted commorants. Normally double breasted gets my attention, but this way is not good!

same as on lake ontario also.galoo and stony island are popular nesting grounds for them.they had some guides do a little killing spree on them a few yrs back.havent seen that many this year.

Latest posts

Back