say good by

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry Vetsch2

Reaction score
I have a 2005 901 with stress cracks down both sides of my boat. I saw them this fall when I was getting it ready for the winter . Will NITRO do any thing for me ? If not the boat will be up for sale in the spring and a new LEGEND LE 21 will bought :angry:

Hmmmm... why don't you ask that question to NITRO???

I know you are probably upset, but remember this - there isn't a company out there that doesn't produce a "lemon" every once in a while, and they ALL have their fair share of problems.

I take it that you WERE a satisfied Nitro owner, with a title like "mr901". I know I'm proud of my Triton, thus the name - tritonglenn.

But coming on here won't do anything but let you vent a bit - call Nitro. Deal with Nitro. Get your NITRO fixed. Calmly. Politely. Don't ramp up to full blown ticked off unless you definitely feel you have a valid complaint, and your claim is denied. Then, and only then, would I escalate the feelings of "ticked off".

I've had minor problems with just about every boat I've owned. I've learned that contacting the manufacturer immediately, and speaking professionally with them, gets me a lot farther than ranting and raving about the problem elsewhere.

I hope you get your problem fixed, as I think you are going to take a huge hit by selling a 2005 boat with stress cracks.

BTW... how big are the stress cracks that we are talking about... and where are they???

All the best,

Glenn

Good by

Man, that's a heck of a threat to me!!!! If Nitro doesn't help you, you're going to buy a Legend? Please don't throw me in that briar patch!

Uncle Billy

I understand your frustration.

And until' it happens to you, most don't understand the crap that one SHOULD NOT have to go thru.

It was like "pulling teeth" to get Tracker to replace a boat that I had purchased in 2002.

Only advice I can give you is "stay on em"!

I also agree that Tracker/Nitro does NOT like dealing with customers.:angry:

If that's the case....then Tracker/Nitro needs to keep a shorter leesh on the dealers.

Plain and simple:rolleyes:

They probly won't fix it anyway, My dealer told me cosmetics are warranted for 1 year, and I just got fiberglass fixed on my 06 189 Sport

If you don't ever want to have problems with a boat - especially stress cracks, I have one surefire way to solve your problem:

Sell the boat, and take up golf.

Go onto the BBC, and check under almost every boat forum - there is someone, somewhere, with a gel coat crack complaint that is more than a year old, that the manufacturer doesn't want to fix.

Think of it in their terms everyone - if you warranty your top cap for a year, and specifically state in your warranty that "cosmetic" cracks / crazing / spider webbing, etc... are not covered under the warranty, and then you cave into someone that wants it fixed, even though it is specifically spelled out in the warranty that it is not covered, then you are opening the doors to everyone that wants the same thing fixed. After all, where do you draw the line? 1 year, 2 years, 5 years, 20 years??? How do you justify fixing "Johns" problem - 3 months out of warranty, and not cover "Sally's" problem - 6 months out of warranty???

Warranty is warranty. Learn to read the warranty information before you buy a rig, and you will quickly understand that most every manufacturer out there has the same things written into their warranty explanation statement. I'd be willing to bet that Legend has the same thing written into their warranty statement in some way shape or form.

STRUCTURAL cracks are another issue entirely.

How is a manufacturer supposed to stay in business if they repair every boat that Tom, Dick or Harry bring in that isn't covered under warranty? And everyone wants to *****, whine and complain when the prices of boats skyrocket. Well... there's a reason for that guys - and some of it comes from them having to eat the cost of repairing some guys boat that isn't under warranty.

In addition, how are they supposed to determine whether the gel coat cracks were caused by manufacturers defect, or some mistake of the consumer?

Its like going to the Dodge / Chevy / Ford factory and complaining that the paint on your lower quarter panels of your 4 wheel drive is all chipped up, and calling it a "manufacturers defect". It's a truck for crying out loud! There is a good chance that you caused it. Same thing goes for a boat - it's in the WATER. You jump WAVES with it, you go screaming around corners at 60mph +, with 500lbs of engine hanging off the back of the boat, turning a propeller at 5500 rpm, causing strain on the transom. You smack spinnerbaits off the topcap. Now, isn't there a possibility that YOU might have caused the problem???

Think about what you are complaining about before you complain about it.

I know this will go in someones ear, and right out the other side, not making one bit of difference other than to infuriate them. That is not my intent.

I am asking you to THINK before you VENT.

And to those of you that are so disgruntled about Nitro / Tracker that you hate them with your very soul - I have this to ask of you:

WHY ARE YOU STILL HANGING OUT HERE??? GO FIND SOMEPLACE ELSE TO HANG OUT!!!

If I hated Nitro, I wouldn't come here. I'd go elsewhere. But I like trying to help folks out. Those of you that are just here to stir the pot - Please - Get a life!

All the best,

Glenn

I'm with you Glen. I went from three Nitros, two with absolutely no problems with the boat to one with cracks/chipping on the top cap. Nitro did fix it after a two year period! To a tin rig TV-18. I did not spend the most money, made a conscious choice and love the boat. Is it the prettiest at the ramp? No! Is it the fastest in the tourny? No! Does it have the most bells and whistles? No! But I made the choice and I love it! None the less I expect failures of electrical items (water and electric you know), fiberglass (unless you do not use the boat or only ilde it in the water) and other minor things. Nothing is perfect, hell after 20 years, my anniversary was two days ago and my wife hasn't traded me in for a new model and I've been in the shop quite a few times!

Just my 2 cents worth!

Randy!;)

I don't KNow tritonglen, My champs a 1991 and has no cracks anywhere, no blemishes, nothing, so I can't say ALL boats have this problem

I forgot, you own a triton, that explains why you can find cracks,LOL, just kiddin Glenn, I can just tell you, crack is a crack to me, and I have not found any under lids or anywhere, now I don't crawl around and look for them either, but have talked to alot of people who don't have any either, but I will agree you can get them from ANY boat, except for my Champ!

All i can say is my Champ had plenty of them when i owned it. Actually it more cracks then my Nitro does. Glass boats get them, period... If you use them in rough water and trailer them down bumpy roads you will get gell coat cracks i dont care who makes it.

Glen I did (Jewelry) and a planned weekend away, just the two of us.

I am not sure of the high mileage sign, mine might say "only dirven by one old lady, to and from the store once a month!" :D

Hopoe she doesn't read this!

Randy!

I agree with Jim B, while I owned my old Champion (for 2 years) it never had any stress cracks on it. That's about the only good thing I have to say about it though. The second owner had some develop on him right after he bought it. All fiberglass boats are subject to stress cracks.

So Steve H--did the second owner thank you when you made good on the stress cracks? :lol::D:lol:

My fiberglass repair guy says that he sees stress cracks on every brand of boat. In case you don't know fiberglass isn't steel. With the pounding KS and MO lakes put on boats, I'm truly surprised that I don't see boats splitting in two a la Titanic. :blink:

I've seen old Skeeters with cracks that looked like spider webs and the boats are still running and no leaks.

Fiberglass will take a beating.

I must say NITRO is a nice boat for the money but I feel you should get a little more .. This was my 3rd Nitro and the other two were just fine but they were alot cheeper ... They did'nt have cracks like this, this boat looks like new still . I know fiberglass takes a beating but I don't beat on this boat and the cracks are on the side in the middle of the boat and they are deep . Iam not giving up on the boat I just want it fixed ..

Atta' boy....that's exactly what I had to do.

There were some real issues with my new trailer then, I found out the boat had a support under the rear deck had the weld missed by someone at the factory and the dealer wanted to switch the trailer out to one that was worse than the original and wanted to pull up the carpet and back deck and reweld and slap it back together? Don't think so:angry:

I informed them that it would be setting back at the dealer if I didn't get any satisfaction...(They had forgotten that the Credit Union had not sent them a check yet):lol:

So needless to say ," That they sure changed their tune then."

I still say if your going to buy a new boat...your better off to go thru a Credit Union because they watch out for you and their money.;)

Bottom line.....If you want a boat to look showroom perfect.........Leave it in the showroom!! If you run your boat, and I mean run your boat (believe it or not there were no cracks in my 929 when I got it from Teddy), it's going to crack...period. Mine has a "fair" amount of cracking in both sence of the word...1. I feel it is a fair amount for the age of the boat and 2. none of them are excessive ie., a fair wear and tear item. Remember, I have run this boat in a lot of nasty water. I remember my first stress crack as a matter of fact. It was in the winter and on the cold side of Anna on a windy day. I hit a wave hard and could actually see my boat flex in the middle. When I got back to the ramp sure enough there they were. For those who don't want stress cracks you have to make an extreme effort to avoid them. Can it be done, yes....do I want to take that kind of effort? No way. Slow down for boat wakes, stay off the water in anything more than heavy chop, stay out of the cold weather water and on and on....I use my boat as a tool. If it didn't have stress cracks, it would still have the chips in the cowling from clients (and friends.....LOL!!) bouncing lures off it, tears in the seat from people stepping on them, stains in the carpet from sodas, coffee, yada, yada. Boats ain't cars and lord knows I am anal about keeping my vehicles clean. It just won't work with a boat. Why do you think there is such a huge depreciation in the first few years? Don't sweat anything non-structural and go fish.....and have FUN!!

TOXIC

Hey Marty, I didn't have to make good on it, like I said the boat didn't have any cracks on it when I got rid of it. The dealer that sold it to him made it right though.

It was a weird place for a crack, right under the windshield? I've seen a ton of boats with stress cracks, none were where this one was.

Had mine since 2000 and as I'm pretty close to the river, it's out more than most.

No cracks! :p

I have a 2005 901. I use it hard and not a problem with it. I know I check the boat especially close after anything happens on the water which gives me a scare. Everytime I put the boat in a situation where I believe I have hurt it, I say to my self, way to go Tim you've done it now you dumb a$$. If it was made of steel it would not be able to do the things I know you like to do with it. The cracks you have described had to be evident the moment you pulled the boat out of the water and if you can't remember something memorable that happened on the water that day then you might have a claim. I know I can't speak for all the 2005 901 owners but for myself I could have bought any boat and I chose the 901 for overall value and it has delivered that. :wub:

Like Toxic said..

"I remember my first stress crack as a matter of fact. It was in my head! All the Kings horses and all the Kings men couldn't put me together again.":lol:

Uncle Billy

Latest posts

Back