Saltwater Reels

• Thread starter Scott Hammer TOXIC
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Hammer TOXIC

Reaction score
Just how important is it to have designated saltwater reels as opposed to freshwater? I know the salt versions have sealed bearings and other enhancements. Now I'm not talking pure salt, I will be in heavy brackish water. I know even with the salt reels, you have to clean them after every use but do I really need to get the salt versions if I keep the maintenance up on them?

TOXIC

My opinion based on years of fishing in saltwater with reels not designated as "salt" versions is it doesnt really matter if you take care of them. The internal components of both types are the same (stainless, brass and aluminum), at least they are on the "salt" penns i own and my freshwater shimano's.

I fish for blues all the time with lighter tackle because its a blast and my reels if choice are a shimano curado and shimano stradic 2000. I have fished with these reels in both fresh and salt for years with no ill effects. I just make sure i clean them after each trip just like it do my penn surf gear.

I use saltwater stuff in my exclusive saltwater equipment, primarily Penn, and prefer for spinning the older Penns at that. Everything in them is made for it. In mixed apps you are OK with freshwater stuff, just clean it and rinse it well after every use, without exception. I've had some occasional bearing issues using the freshwater stuff for primary salt use, but that was after a while.

its very improtant...

alot of manufactures now make there freshwater reels with seeled bearings with the rise of the redfish,,,

mike c

p.s. some rod guides will rust if exposed to salt water

Keep the hose away from your gear and it will treat you better, longer. and less problematic. A simple garden hose tends to drive grit and debris deeper into the reel and recesses creating premature wear and/or failure. (I can't count how many times I've driven by the closest car wash after pulling out and watch fellas blasting their gear. :wacko: ) The best thing you can do at the end of the day is stand your gear up (soak reels) in a 5 gal. bucket or washtub of cold water. The water will dillute the salt to almost nil without pressure or force driving in sand and salt crystals while stripping the grease and oil from many parts. The majority of reels on the market today (barring Mg content reels) are built to withstand a brackish environment with little change to the overall care and maintenance. (Check and oil as needed.) Give 'em a soak and they'll return the favor lasting performance. ;)

I don't think a reel with magnesium components will do well in a salty enviroment?

RoyC

I do a lot of saltwater pier fishing and as I leave the pier I spray my rods and tips down completely, including any hooks and leaders attached. I do run them under a hose, but not in any way that will force water or salt into any place it doesn't belong. I personally don't dunk my reels into a bucket of water as in my opinion most of these are not water tight, and right or wrong, believe that on some reels water will work its way into places that you won't want it to be left sitting. I don't open them up to regrease them over twice a season. After every use I do add oil to any exposed bearings/line rollers, handles, anthing that moves etc,. After I return from the coast, I run each reel under the faucet running slow, water flowing in a direction that does not allow water to run into areas you don't want it in. I wipe them down, and oil the external moving parts and reel exterior. In doing this, I have a Mitchell 302 that I bought in 1971, and one of these days I know I'm going to have to put some parts in it.

Latest posts

Back