runners

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
:angry:I could go on about my $40,000plus boat that just turned 5 years old, but after the service manager at my dealer told me they don't use pressure treaded lumber on runners that explained why I had to replace them as well.

I think they are called bunks. And it is well known that tracker doesnt use pressure treated wood on the bunks.

you did get 5 years which is more than a bunch of people do.

three years for mine and the 2x4's had more knots and cracked places than a California fault line. These were the kind of 2x4'a you buy in discount pile at Menards for 79cents.

fatrap

I replaced my main bunks with 6 x 2 and new 4 x 2 for the outers after 2 years because they had deformed. They were not rotted or cracked but took on a shape of their own, probably from dunking the trailer then parking it in 100 degree heat in the carpark with black carpet then baking the timber.

I am pretty sure that it is recommended to use non-treated wood for the bunks because the chemicals used in treated lumber still corrode and eat stainless steel staples.

Mike

One thing I do do is to coat all the perspective new bunk materials with a 50/50 spar varnish mineral spirit coating. This penetrates the wood grain. When this is dry a good coating of spar varnish then lay on the carpet. Get all my tools and carpet ready and head to the boat ramp on a mid week day so I least upset the dock area while the boat is parked.

fatrap

:)thanks for the tips I have been fishing for 32 years and have owned just about every kind of boat that is made. This fine Z-9 is the first and only boat that I have ever had to replace the bunks on so I had to go with what I could think of. Next time I will try to use a better method.

I changed mine in the drive way. I took a 4 x 4 treated post about 12" long, cut a v profile with a band saw to match the aft end. Jacked the boat up a couple of inches. replaced the runners one at a time. You can lift one side up with correct jack placement (slightly off center). I thought it was easer than wasting a day at the lake. Rember have trailer hooked up, slightly relieve the preasure on the bow strap,and don't put your fingers, arms:D in any danger.
http:// jcar

FR gave the easiest way to change bunks with the dump & swap at a non-busy ramp/dock. You'll find throughout the marine industry that very, very few use treated lumber on trailers and most wood used under the carpet is "C" grade or less. Five years (give or take) is about the life expectancy I've seen on factory bunks regardless of the make.

I can't even imagine the possibility of 5 years on factory wood wrapped bunks. I had a brand new trailer in 2013 that didn't make 14 months before 2 bunks broke in the middle and fell out under the boat. Nothing but mush and the boat was kept inside when not in use- about once a week....

I've replaced my 2001 model bunks twice ( almost 18 years) with 3rd set still good. I've used 2 x 4's and cut to original lengths. Bought the carpeting and Thompson's water seal. Also bought ss staples and lag screws. Prepped the bunks cut and covered with the carpet (leaving 1 1/2" un-covered bottom of bunk).
Took the new bunks to the ramp, launched the boat and had the new bunks on in 40 min.'s. Yes, also mid-week with very little ramp traffic.
6 years now on those bunks and still in perfect shape. Original bunks were the worst (3 yrs).
Every time I park the truck/trailer I check all 4 bunks thoroughly. Funny. I rarely see anyone else do that! To me it's just another maintenance issue to replace bunks. But, after original bunks you'll get many years with re-placements.

Latest posts

Back