Rob- Champlain Temps?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon Puhalski

Reaction score
Hi Rob. I'm curious as to if you can give some sort of prediction of what we will be seeing for water temps at the relly? What have been the average water temps for that time of year in the past?

Also, How much more does the water need to come up before the lake is "full"?

Thanks

Oh geez! For June, the water temps can vary dramatically depending on where you are fishing. I have seen the main lake only in the low 50's but the river near 70. It all depends on the weather, but it should be the same this year. Strong currents from the channel will bring cold temps in close to shore on some straights. Have a temp gauge is all I can tell you. Fish will still stay there though until it warms up. They really won't move far for warmer water. In the same bay maybe, but not across the lake. That's why I have caught spawners as early as late April and as a late as July in deeper water. I doubt the lake will hit regular levels this year. It's still about 3 feet low, but that's up 1.5 feet in the last month. It's safe now, but you have to be careful of reefs. Run it like you would in August. In August, run it like you would new resevoir with massive draw down (CAREFULLY)! LOL Lake Champlain holds many secrets. If you unlock some of them, you will experience fishing like never before. One little tidbit of trivia for ya. Lake Champlain is the only lake (in the world I think) that flows in 2 opposite directions. The north end current flows north to the St. Lawrence, and the south end currents south into the Hudson. Almost like the middle of the lake is elevated. But in fact the middle is the deepest part, over 400 ft deep, and 6 miles across. It's also over 112 miles long and I cannot remember the miles of shoreline or acreage, but it's up there! You do the math. There are fish in Champlain that have NEVER seen an artificial bait. But alas, our little secret is out, and now everyone want's a shot at fishing heaven. I can hardly wait until the rally. I am sure you will all enjoy it immensely. Even at it's worse in June, Champlain will give up 15-18 lb limits. One year after 2 weeks of sunny 60's, we had a cold front roll in the night before the tourney, and started spitting snow (seriously). Took 18.5 lbs of smallies to win! Slow bite, but the tanks turned on. They must have thought summer was over! LOL anyhow, I've rambles enough about the lake. I start on Saturday, and will be posting fishing reports regularly until the rally. I fish the entire north end where we will be, so I'm sure if you have locations in mind, I will at some point report on it. I will include water clarity, weather, temps, and successful patterns and depths. Later.

Latest posts

Back