Rick Clunn reel problem

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenny Guess

Reaction score
Has this happened to anyone else: I was fishing yesterday, and as I made a cast, the right(left retrieve model ) side plate flew off and into the bayou ! No warning and I had never taken it off since I bought the reel last Feb. and had no need to. I am so disappointed since I love the reel but would have a hard time buying another since if it happen once, it could happen again. Also, do you think Bass Pro Shop would do anything about this situation? I kow someone on this site works for B.P.S., think its 'toxic' but not sure. Thanks, kenny

Not sure what BPS would do, but take it back and talk to them. I have two of the clunns and love em. I wouldn't give up on em until you see what they will do and on one reels problems.

Randy!

which rick clunn (how old). I may have a side plate I can send you.

kenny - take it back to BPS. I had that happen while fishing with Bill in VA last year. It was a BPS Pro Qualifer reel. I pitched a cast and clank, splash - in went the side cover (somewhere near dike 1 of the hot side!). Went to BPS in Baltimore the following weekend and asked the guy behind the fishing desk if I could buy a spare cover (or order one). He said that they didn't sell them that way, but instead, told me he'd just give me a brand new reel in exchange. I was pleasantly surprised - even told him that I didn't have a receipt or anything. He just smiled and said "well, I know you didn't but that reel at Cabela's!"

Jim, I will call them today since I am a days drive to the nearest store (Jackson, MS.) and I bought it from the Springfield store. Thanks for all that replied and will let you know what happens. kenny

Mini, Hold that thought in case they don't help with this. Bought it last Feb. 07, blue one, left hand retrieve. thanks, kenny

So that's where all them side covers keep coming from that I'm snagging with my crankbaits. I was wondering. I've got quite a collection of them.... a blue one for a left handed reel, a Pro-Qualifier one that I found while fishing near dike 1 on Anna last Saturday... etc... :lol::lol::lol:

Sorry about the problem kenny. I hope you get a replacement soon.

All the best,

Glenn

I dont have one for that reel that I know of. BUt I will look.

I have had that happen to TWO of my BPS Johnny Morris Signature reels. I love the reels, but I quit buying them because of that problem. BPS did replace one of them, but there is obviously some sort of QC issue.

I have never had the side plate come off, but I did have the reel handle fall off a JLM Elite this past summer. They are going to replace it.

How in the #@@# does a side plate come off?? Man,..I've been using JLM and RC reels since they came out and I've never had that problem...i've got 1 or 2 at home that I can't clean because I CAN"T GET the plate OFF!!!:blink:

The only thing I've had fall off...other than fish....is that stupid little gold button that covers the opposite side of the reel on a JLM spinning rig. None of mine has them anymore:lol: Glad they don't make them now or I'd just lose more of them.

TOXIC

Everyone loses those Tox. I think there are a couple in my rod locker if you need em...lol

If you have seen the Bassmaster from Table Rock that Edwin Evers did well in (cant remember if he won), all his reels were missing the same thing.

Latest posts

Back