Revisiting the AL vs SS Prop issue on a 90hp Merc.

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
Okay, once again I come back from the lake (on Saturday), with a damaged prop. Yes, it was something that I should have paid closer attention to, but regardless - I have one blade 'bent' on my prop now.

I've followed most all of the threads on running an aluminum prop (versus a SS one) on a 90hp engine. For the most part, Merc. seems to NOT recommend it, but many others have stated that it works fine. As I understand it, the main drawback is the possiblity of increased lower unit 'noise' running the SS one. And of course, possibility of damaging the lower unit.

I'm going to get the AL prop fixed (bent, not broken), but once again find myself thinking about the SS version.

Jump in, and let me know your thoughts. I know several out there have indicated that they currently run a SS on a Merc. 90 with no problems.

Tex

Hey Texas T,

I'm running a Merc. 90 on my Pro Team 185 with a 13 1/4"x22" SS prop and love it. It give's me a lot more fine tuning of the hull also. I fish lakes with lots of flooded timber and so far so good, I'm still really careful though. What are you running yours on?

Bassman

Tex...don't sweat it. I have a 13x21 SS prop and the only thing is the "clutch dog ratlle" you MIGHT experience is at the lowest RPM...I just try to keep it out of that small range. Some don't have any problems. The SS will give better lift and top end speed. Look around and find a used SS a little cheaper. Love mine... BTW..Bassman..What kind of speed are you gettin' out of that 22P?

TEE

I have a 90hp Merc and have had my alum prop worked on several times. I did call Merc and they steered me away from a ss, for the reasons you mentioned. My prop guy said that the aluminum props are paper-thin and will bend on any impact. I was backing up sloooowly in my back yard touched the wood fence (not a post) and bent the prop. i think that I am going to take another look at ss also.

If you guys want to stick to alum you might want to take a look at turning point alum props. I have a buddy that runs one on his pt 185 with a 90 and he gets much better lisf from the turning point then he did with the black max it came with. the turning point is a thicker alum with a blade design more like a stainless prop with good cup and rake. he is pretty happy with his and i from what he saidit was a fraction of the cost of stainless.
http://www.turningpointpropellers.com/default.htm

I'm listening to all of you...

I'm still running the stock aluminum prop on my 90...

I've been considering Stainless since day one...

Just might do it this season...

az

My got bent at the ramp coming in to load the trailer. I didn't notice the long brown stain leading out from the bank and started raking up mud. Immediately raised the engine and came through, but noticed that one blade was bent in the process.

Thanks for the suggestions. Will look at both the SS and the turning point props.

Most of our lakes here are pretty open water. Had too much low water due to drought last year. Nothing I did last year or this year for that matter, would have been considered as 'risky' to the prop.

Tex

Hey TEE, I get 46-47mph speedometer, It came with an aluminium 23" and would run 48mph. I sure would like to try a 23" SS just to see if It could take it. I need to GPS it though first. Later.. Bassman

he has a 90 force on his and he is getting around 42 gps on average. stock he ran about 38

Bassman and Tee: (and others of course). What do you run in RPM's with the 21 and 22 pitch SS prop's.

Currently with my AL prop, I top out at 5000 max rpms, but the specs call top end RPM's at 5600.

Tex

I'm running a Force by Merc the last year they made Froce. Everything is pretty much Merc except the carbs. I've been told. Anyway, I'm running at 5200 rpm. What boat are you running yours on? And what pitch is it? Bassman

I'd definitly go down to either a 21 or 22 pitch. I think your max. rpm should be the same as mine, which is 5250 max. For every degree you go down you'll increase your rpm's by approx. 200 rpm. Hope this helps out.

Hey TEE, what boat do you have? Do you have the newer Merc? I know with a 23 I'd pick up more speed but I think I'd loose my hole-shot and lot's of rpm's.

I have the 2002 185 w/90 Merc..you'd probably pick up a LITTLE speed but, it'll take longer for it to get on plane so you kinda' sacrifice one for the other...I'd try a 23 before I made any decisions though if it's possible. I'm really happy with the 21...it screams.

TEE

What brand of prop are you running? Sounds like a fast one! I can't beleive your running a 21 and I'm running a 22 and your still faster. What am I doing wrong? :)

I've been visiting this site for several weeks an

picked up a lot of good information. (my first post)

I have a 2001 PT175 with a 75hp Merc. I bought it

in Dec. from a friend. It has Merc. HIGHFIVE prop (20p)It has "cluch dog rattle " in gear at idle. Is this prop too heavy for this motor?

crawdaddy

If you keep damaging your alum. prop you can bet you will tear up your lower unit with s.s. Have you looked into a protector like a Mac's river runner?I have never used one but am thinking on getting one.I run a s.s. prop and am also looking for a alum. one.

don't know if this is a good idea or not but thought I would post. Was at the tackle show this weekend and picked up a brouchure on "piranha propellers" which are a composite which advertised is the best of both worlds. I thought they were just for smaller motor but upon reading, are good up to 260 hp. looks like if you mess up a blade, you can replace just that blade for around 20 dollars.

Illinois Marine Technologies - (309) 679-9731

don't have any idea on how good these are, but worth checking into. I run a ss prop on my 115hp and have been happy so far, maybe a little lucky too.

jd

if you fish very shallow lakes i would use al. ther are about $110.00 compared to $300 plus. and if you do damage most of the time with al. thr damage stops at the prop. with ss. the damage can go further. if you hit with ss. it's a good idea to have your shaft removed and checked. i have seen them bend while bumping something going slow without doing a lot of damage to the prop. on the other hand if you want the most performance. then i'd look into ss. also i personally would'nt put ss on anything less then 100 horse. to me anything less is not for speed. just my .02 thanks stan

Bassman.. I'm runnin' a Quicsilver(Merc brushed finish)prop...I bought it new still in the box for $300. Not bad for a brand new one. I like the brushed finish pretty good..I think it could deter thieves as far as lookin'for shiny SS's. Didn't you say you are runnin' a Force motor? And what year is your 185? They did change hull design in 2001. I know you don't want to hear this but, here goes....Merc and Force are NOT the same. Some of the internal parts are but, alot of them are not. Especially the carburation system.....

TEE

It's a 98'. The first year for the new hull design, I love it! It really handles the water really well, don't get wet either. I think your right that the Merc. has more get up and go. Oh well, most my lakes I fish are a no wake anyway. Still catch lots of fish.... Later, Bassman

Latest posts

Back