Remington will market a "new / improved" 9mm Model 51

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. Love it. What a great relaunch of a classic pistol.

Greg, thanks for posting the link. We live in a great age of small arms development.

Pedersen was an interesting, but star crossed designer. The Navy initially ordered the Model 51 in .45acp but cancelled at the start of the war and switched to the already in production Colt 1911. Pedersen's rifle was one of two designed to replace the '03, the other was the Garand. But, both were designed to be a 7X51 (276) round designed by Pedersen. The Garand was ultimately chosen and Doglas McArthur "vetoed" the 7mm and had it produced in .30-06. In 1942-43 Pedersen open a factory to produce M-1 Carbines. The project was funded by a wealthy family, the Irwins. From an order of about 50,000 only 6500 or so were produced under Pedersen before it was termintaed because of production problems The factory was taken over by GM (I believe) who did produce carbines. Today the Irwin-Pedersen carbines are some of the most collectible/valuable.

Not all was "failure", besides the Model 51, he designed the Remington Model 31 (which is also the Browning BPS and the Ithaca 37) pump shotgun.

texag93 on the Texas Bowhunting Forums was at the Shot Show and posted some pictures of the R51 that I thought you might like. Post #96 here:
http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=433030&page=2

But here are some of the pictures for you:

R51stbd_zpse6a30fc2.jpg

R51Port_zps2082c8a9.jpg

R51aft_zps32ac73f8.jpg

Kind of has tha "Buck Rogers" look like the old Whitney .22. But, that is a "snagless" looking pistol... I would love to handle one...

I strongly encourage everyone to goto the link and run through all of the pictures.... I haven't been to a SHOT Show since it left Chicago...but it was a fun time every year when I did go.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back