Red Hooks on Crank Bait

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Easterling

Reaction score
I bought red treble hooks for my cranks. Change out the front or the back or it doesn't matter?

I'm not sure how much difference it makes but all my crankbaits have red treble hooks front and rear......I need all the help I can get.

After the first twenty or so it starts getting easy.Just remember, hooks are like everything else,Quality dosen't cost..It pays.

nofishcatchin Jim

I don't change out all my hooks, some of my favorite crankbaits come with quality hooks. Those I do change out, I go with red (front and back).

When I change hooks... And, that may be immediately after purchase... I use a red hook on the front...

I have no proof and I even may be skeptical about the benefits... But, as it has been said, it certainly doesn't hurt anything...

I only do it on my shallow cranks and I only change the front hook. IF it makes a difference, I want them to focus their strike on the front of the bait.

Make em red if I can. Use red jig hooks and red plastic worm hooks too.

fatrap

I changed one out yesterday, front only, and went to my favorite pond. Bouncing it on the bottom yielded a 2 1/2 pounder and ..............got him on the rear hook. I will continue to change out the front hook and see what happens. I have noticed that some of my newer hard baits come with red on the front but it's some funky treble with one hook longer than the others.

Red is the 1st color to dissapear in the water column. Green and purple are the last colors to dissapate. The red hook thing has some merit with a topwater or if you are fishing clear water. After that your just supporting the fishing fad for the day.

Back