Question on the "Flats" for the MD/VA Guys

• Thread starter Christopher Laurencio
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christopher Laurencio

Reaction score
Got any advice/tactics for Late April or Early May patterns tactics for the Flats, I have a Tourney there in late April.

Carlos

Toxic

Bill

or anybody else

Thanks

CJL

Hey Chris

you are going in April ? Mark the areas with X's so I know were to look for fish when I go down in early May :lol:

I wish I could help you Chris but I haven't fished up there in over twenty-five years. I would pick up a chart if I were you though. You can run aground in a heartbeat up there. A chart may help you find some channels and drop off's too. Personally if I was told I had to fish a tourney there tomorrow, I would run into the Northeast River and fish there.

Uncle Billy

Bill,

What kind of forage is in the river? Any idea, I wish I had the resources to pre-fish but that's not going to happen.

I will also be in the Potomac and the Nanticoke River this summer, perhaps you guys have any info on them?

CJL

Chris where will you be launching from? I have one there at the end of March and the end of April, 2 in May plus more this year.

BF

Bruce, the April 29th one says on my club schedule, the NE River, I will have to ask the exact marina, that would be coll if I actually met you Bruce.

The Nanticoke River is Aug 12-13th.

an then the Flats on September 30th

Also Blue Marsh in PA this year, but that's probably a lake you don't fish, correct?

In any event I will ask which Marina.

CJL

Chris, As soon as I get a chance, I will E-Mail you with a detailed list of areas,colors, and baits. April or early May, preferably May shoud be dynamite. What type of fishing do you prefer ?

OHH Man I forgot that's right Beck, you probably fish Blue Marsh right?

I prefer shallow to medium depths, if I have cover to flip to I am happy, or mid depth DS works for me. But I will take any info you want to give, :)

Chris, when the Nanticoke River gets closer give me a holler... At least I'll be able to meet you then.

Uncle Billy

Chris, Actually if you want to, I will prefish the flats with you and show you around. Navigation can sometimes be tricky. Yes, I do fish Blue Marsh is there anything I can help you with there ? Sorry, I just read your entire post and saw you will not be able to prefish. If you are launching in the NE River it is probably Anchor Marina.

Chris

I'tt give you what little information I have on the flats when I call you Thursday night . Artie and myself are planning a spring trip down there in maybe March or early April . Jackson Bass is having their tournament on the 7th of May .

Hey Chris, Mine is the 30th of April. Out of Anchor Marina, I will let you know how I make out in March (26th). I plan on staying up in the North East River then. Boater vs non-boater goes both ways, if you have never been there before fishing tidal water add some wind and boat traffic. It can be a lesson in boat control and take away from your fishing. But as a boater you can better control your situation (not your enviroment) You need a good map and a gps with bouy markers and depth. The Chesapeake bay is a lot shallower than I ever thought. Heck Toho has more depth and it's average is 5ft? You can be running in 10ft of water and before you can say "OH SH*T" you are on a sand bar. High tide to low tide is an average of 1 to 2ft? So sometimes you can get in and not get out?

For your flats tx in Sept should be prime time for large or small mouth if you launch from Havre de Grace. I will be there on the 17th of Sept? There are plenty of areas and places to go. Forage, shad, sunfish, crawdads, crabs, baby anything. You can fish anything, grass, laydowns, docks, riprap, rock piles, wrecks and the list goes on.

Sorry I got long winded. I spent last year trying to learn the upper bay and I want to spend this year useing that info. But I will tell you right up front I still have a lot to learn.

BF

I will make April 29th a practice day for me so at least we can meet..

Bruce, Still don't know what Marina we are Launching out of, the T-Director is not sure yet, in any event I will let you know when I know. If we could meet up that would be great. I think I will go as a non-boater for the first T on the Flats, if it's anything like the lower DE, there's a lot for me to learn and will be easier in the passenger seat. Tidal Water :wacko:

Beck, thanks for your help and any info is appreciated, another person I would really like to meet in person, from what I understand Blue Marsh is within the area of Cabelas and I think you told me you live within that area, as it gets closer we should set something up. And depending on my home situation and $$$ I may or may not be able to pre-fish so that's why I can't be for certain. I guess my question for Blue Marsh is, is it any good? Can I use my Ranger there or does it have a HP restriction. If I can manage a Pre-fishing trip, and your offer is still open, well I guess I will just wait to see what the next few months bring.

Bill, will do

Tom, I guess we will talk LOL.

Thanks All !!!!!!

CJL

Chris, Definately bring your Ranger to Blue Marsh, unlimited horsepower. Depending on when your tournament is the Ranger will not be big enough !!! Avod summer days. Blue Marsh is 20 minutes from my house, Cabelas is 30 minutes, and Bass Pro Shops is 50 minutes so if you come up allow some time for whatever you want to do. If you want we can fish from my boat in the AM or use yours and park it at my house and do some shopping !!

Beck,

Sounds great on all accounts. Have you been to Anglers Paradise in Whitehall PA?

I just checked my T-Schedule, Blue Marsh is October 14th, :D

CJL

Chris,

Not able to help you on teh flats up there. I am more to the South. Now, Jim C can hool you up there. Be careful if you do drive the baot, lots of mess in the water up there......

Hope that Jim C chimes in

Hey guys - sorry for not chiming in sooner. What area is specifically the "Flats?" Is it near the WW bridge? If so, I'm not familiar with that name, but if it's between Reagan National Airport and the WW bridge, I AM familiar with the water. To say its tricky would be an understatement. I've heard of more lower units being ripped off than any where else. I'm more than happy to show anybody around that area. Just don't think I'm off my rocker if we head straight down river and then I make a hard left for no apparent reason straight at a pier! :D:D

Bruce - Ah, gotcha! No wonder I haven't heard the DC stretch of the Potomac called "the Flats!" Regardless, my offer still stands if anyone needs help navigating the stretch up my way, give me a shout. I won't pretend to be an expert on all the nav routes, but I know a few of the safe ones to get a boat in and out of the primo fishing spots and I'm willing to share (well maybe not ALL my favorite spots!). :D

JC

Jim C, I would love to take you up on that offer, I have the last 2 Saturdays in July open a couple in June and Some time in May. I need/want to launch out of Smallwood? How far is that for you?

BF

Get in that 1/4 mile wait to launch out of Smallwood huh?:wacko: Jim C., I'd love to get out on the Potomac with you sometime this summer.

Uncle Billy

Bruce and Bill - Smallwood is no problem for me. Its about 45 minutes from my place. While I"ve been to Smallwood, I typically launch out of Slavin's just upcreek from Smallwood (nice to help out Bo and his small shop!). But I'm pretty flexible and can meet you guys wherever. I also launch out of Gravelly Point to hit the WW bridge areas. Let's definitely get together as I've got some Sunami sample baits to try - THANKS NORM!

JC

I would like to meet ya all at the Potomac I put in across from Smallwood on the VA side I can run across and meet ya.

Hutch

Latest posts

Back