Prop Difference - Michigan Wheel vs. Mercury

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Hofman

Reaction score
Does anyone know how Michigan Wheel props stack up against stock Mercury props? Their Rapture props look like good substitutions for the Trophy or Tempest units, and the Rapture prop is an interesting design.

For the cost difference, does anyone know what I'd be giving up?

MO: I have a Rapture on that big ole 60hp merc on my tracker and that thing is tough as nails..I will confess to a drop of about 300 rpms but the prop guy says that is because of the extra weight of the prop over a aluminam?

But weigh my 60 vs your ??

BF

Quicksilver is also made by Merc and is not polished(brush finish)that are a little cheaper and run well. I'm currently runnin' a 13x21P SS on my 90...

TEE

Okay, thanks!

Now, here's the next two questions: why do some prop selector charts list the Mercury: 150 ...EXCEPT XR-series outboards?

And, what is the difference between a prop that fits a small hub and one for a large hub?

The Rapture SS prop in 14 3/8 x 21 is over $100 less than a Mercury Tempest Plus in 21-inch pitch. If the cost difference isn't in quality or performance, what is it in?

I just learned, from a propeller-specific discussion board, that the cup and rake on the Michigan wheel props are not as great as those on the Merc props. MW props are great for holeshot and fuel economy, but you pay a price in bow-lift and top end speed. Their "niche" is to build a "one type fits all" style of propeller rather than designing a prop specific to an outboard or boat type.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Latest posts

Back