Pro Team 175 VS Pro Crappie 175

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Balch

Reaction score
Good Morning Everyone,

I am new to this website. I have decided to buy a new fishing boat and am trying to decide between the Pro Team 175 and the Pro Crappie 175 with the Mercury 40 ELPTO upgrade. Having spent several days reading messages on this board, I have a sense that most owners are very satisfied with these two boats.

I want a boat that is convenient for fishing, mostly black bass, white bass, crappie, and catfish in the lakes in Central Texas. A boat with a draft of not more that 10 to 14 inches should be navigable on the Colorado River which flows through this area of Texas. I would like to make an occasional run down to the saltwater flats out of Port Aransas if the weather is fairly calm.

My wife doesn't fish but likes to go boat riding. So, I would want a boat that gives a fairly comfortable and dry ride. Since my nine year old grandson will sometimes join us, I would require a boat that is a stable fishing platform, not too tipsy with people moving around. Some folks in my family might like to be pulled on a tube, so a bit of speed would be nice.

I would be grateful for some comparisons of these two boats and some recommendations for options for either. I attended a boat show in Austin, Texas recently and looked at the PT 175 and PC 175 side by side. My wife and I thought the PC 175 floor plan might be a bit easier for us less agile folks to move around in. Of course my grandson thought the PT 175 was much cooler in appearance.

I have noticed concerns on this website about the PC 175's lack of storage. Any ideas on freeing up more storage space? Also, at the boat show I was surprised that the aluminum hatch cover of the front storage bin of the PT 175 had some flex when I stepped on it. I weigh about 180lb, but both my son and son-in-law are well over 200 lb each. Shouldn't this hatch cover be more substantial than it seems to be?

A major concern I have is the number of negative comments about Tracker's customer service. Even some boat owners who love their boats complain bitterly about Tracker customer service. This is not good, and I went on the Trackermarine.com and sent an email to the company expressing my concern as a potential buyer about these negative comments. I asked what assurances they could offer that things will be better in the future. I haven't heard anything back yet. Do any of you have reason to believe that things will improve? Or, do you think that people who are unhappy are more likely to post messages than people who are quite satisfied?

Thank you for reading this. I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Bill Balch

I looked a lot a couple yrs ago at the pt175 and the pc175 as at the time i crappie fished and catfished a lot. i ended up buying a 17' nitro lx700 glass boat which i found used at a great price. the pc175 would be good for a young kid if you don't want him/her standing up on the deck. i personally like the pt series layout a lot more. if your grandson is 9 yrs old, he probably has better balance than us older folks anyways. if you are wanting to do some tubing, you will want to upgrade the motor size as much as you can. a few rod holders here and there and the pt175 will catch some catfish too. as far as stability goes, the bigger and wider the boat the better, especially if 3 people will be in the boat. take one out for a ride and see what you think.

oh yeh, welcome to the board Bill as it looks like you are a new member.

jd

TrepMan will certainly chime in here, but since he is travelling, it probably won't be till later tonight. He has an earlier model of the Pro Crappie, wife and 2 small ones. Fishes, tubes, etc.

Tex

Got a very courteous reply from Gerald Cox of Tracker Customer Service in Springfield to the email I referenced in my initial posting. Gerald said he had forwarded my comment about the springy lid on the front storage compartment on the 2003 PT 175 to a boat tech. He said there had been no warranty issues regarding this hatch cover. But the boat tech is going to look into it.

Gerald said that "Tracker Marine Group stands behind every product they manufacture," and that the "Tracker warranty is one of the strongest in the marketplace." Gerald added "The customer service and the quality of our boats has improved greatly over the past year and one-half."

Sounds like Tracker is sincere in their efforts to improve customer service. A lot of issues may hang on the particular dealer you buy from too. But I think it would be prudent to buy the extended warranty.

Welcome Aboard Bill. The dealer in my opinion can make or break your boat buying experience. My boat is a 15 year old txs17 the only problems I have had, have been self inflicted..There is an option here about dealer feedback I think it's under the resouces option. Spend as much time researching the dealer as you did the boat..Unless you are close to a Bass Pro Shop..or want to ride to MI to get your boat from Marke or Ken.

BF

Hi Bill!

Welcome to the board. As an old ZZ Top fan I just have to respond to a guy from La Grange.

I was about to buy a new PT175 last summer when a 2001 PT185 (with low nautical miles) came up for about the same $ as the new 175. When I compared the extra storage room, which I have filled, the 50hp standard, which does come in handy, and the extra foot of boat, which does smooth out the ride, I had to jump on it. I don't know what your budget is; and it is easy to upgrade yourself right out of the boat, but it might be worth at least taking a look at a 185. I have been very happy with my Tracker. Have had no negitave experiences with Tracker because I have had no trouble with the boat at all. BTW I am well over 200# (well well over) and have had no problem with the hatch covers. Yes, they do flex a little---no biggie. There's my 2% of a $. Hope I helped.

Harpo

Bill,

I have a 98 Pro Team 175. I too fish with my now twelve year old son who was eight when I got the boat. I have no complaints about my boat. As my son has aged a few years, he has more than grown to use the platform. However, whe he was smaller, I had him fish from the middle of the boat. It was closer for me to untangle his rods etc that way too. Plus, he had less of a chance of going overoard. I have a lot of space on my boat, however mine is a little smaller than the current PT175's. If you plan on doing things other than fishing, the PC's layout may serve you a little better as it has more space for "walking around".

As for quality issues, no matter what type of big ticket item you may buy new, there will have to be adjustments made. Yes, I had some problems with my boat when I got it. However, they were taken care of to a point way beyond normal satisfaction. In fact, It would be difficult for me even to consider buying something other than a Tracker or Nitro.

For the money, with all of the options, you aren't going to get a better package for the price... I would guide you to the "special edition" if you are buyng new this year. The red stripes look great...

Brian

Bill I have a 2001 PT 175 with a 40hp and I really enjoy it. My wife and I took it out 38 times last season on a lot of different lakes and rivers. The boat performed excellenly even on some very rough water. The boat is rigged nicely. If I had to add something it would be a water pressure guage. Other than that I haven't changed or added a thing. I do use a 6 hp to push it in some of the limited hp lakes near my house.

Bear

Thanks to everyone for your very helpful input. Yesterday I bought a 2003 Tracker Pro Team 175 with the Mercury 50 ELPTO upgrade, the Special Edition package, and a galvanized trailer. I also bought the five year extended warranty. My wife and I were finally persuaded this was the boat for us because of the nice storage and roomy interior. I called my nine year old grandson and he enthusiastically approved our choice.

We're quite excited and looking forward to getting onto the water in time for the spring run of white bass here in Central Texas. Thanks again.

Bill

Bill - Sorry I didn't chime in earlier and seems it to late!! Been traveling all week and back out tomorrow (sunday). As Tex said i've got the 2000 PC and LOVE it, they did increase the storage in 2 area's this year (front deck and rear hatch). I bought mine over the PT due to keeing my then 3 year old (and now 5 and 3 yearolds) and WIFE in the boat when fishing and tubing!

You'll Love the PT and it will fly, you'll also LOVE the galvenized trailer (I wish I had gotten it) especialy if you ever take it to brackish or Salt water.

3 years to the weekend with out a problem, eMail me if you have any questions.

So when is the new baby arriving?

I picked up my new toy yesterday. Haven't been this excited over something new since I got a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun for Christmas in 1949. Took the boat out to a local lake today even though it was cold, damp, and windy.

Had a few problems getting the motor started until some of the other guys at the boat ramp who had Mercurys gave me some good tips for starting a cold motor. Like pushing the key in and holding it in as I crank the motor. Also disengaging the throttle and advancing it. And finally, not trying to start the motor with it tilted. I'm sure all this sounds like no-brainers to most of you, but I sure was glad to have the advice. And trying to drive a boat onto a trailer with waves pushing from the side requires skills I definitely do not yet possess. I did it, but it took numerous passes and certainly lacked grace.

I'm really glad to have stumbled onto this website. Almost every time I have a question, I do a search and quickly find answers, anecdotes, and interesting points of views. Perhaps a time will come when I'll know enough to make a contribution of my own.

Congratulations on your new boat Bill. Taking your grandson fishing and stopping by once in while to share experiences and stories is contribution enough. Pick on Scott and Rob a little bit and you'll fit right in.

Enjoy the boat, have fun and be safe.

Marke

Congrats on the new boat...and don't hesitate to ask us questions no matter how trivial they seem.

You can e-mail me anytime with any questions or advice you may need...I have an awesome team of experts at my disposal and will be more than happy to share any info I can to make your boating experience a good one.

Bill,

Do a search on starting. There are several very good threads already here on hard starting Merc's. Especially information on HOW the choke works. It helped me alot.

Congratulations on the new boat. May many big crappie (and other species of course), find their way into your livewell!

Add another member to the TinMen NTOWS Crew!

Tex

Latest posts

Back