Pre-Season line spooling

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marke Cicero

Reaction score
Every year in the fall I strip off all of my line from every reel I own. I usually re-spool a few days before my first outing.

However, this morning I purchased 4 new Quantum Catalysts and tomorrow I'm picking up 2 Quantum Kinetics.(They sold out of Kinetics before I got there but another truck load is coming tonight).

Having new reels, I'm dying to spool them up but I probably wont hit the water for at least another month.

What do you guys think, can I spool up now or should I wait? My concerns are primarily "memory" setting in the line.

I'm going to spool them with Berkley Fire-line (which I have never used before)on top of mono backing.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Marke

Marke,....just do one reel of each...you're going to hate that fire line anyway and end up going back to mono....so try it first before you fill 6 spools!!

I like "some" braids for certain applications,...like throwing rats/frogs in slop....but I don't like it enough to do 6 reels with it!!..LOL I just prefer mono for most applications and once you get a back lash with braid,...you're done with that reel for the day! I don't like the way it digs in and buries itself into the reel when you're using it too...especially on hooksets. It's also very tough to break and if/when you get hung up...and you're pulling on the line to free the lure,..THAT's when you'll really bury the line into the spool. It has it's benefits...it would be GREAT for verticle jigging for walleye and maybe some open water techniques like jerk baits and top water,...but I've tried it before and I ended up going back to mono......stricktly a personal preference, but I think Marke oughta try it on one btcstr and one spinning reel before he loads up all 6.....save some $$ if he doesn't like it!!! IMHO

Marke

i wouldnt waste your time with the fireline. Like Mac i like mono for most everything but braid does have its place. I use it for heave slop and its great on a carolina rig. The thing i dont like about fireline is it constantly looses little black fibers over time as you use it. The last time i used it on a baitcaster i was amazed when i took the reel apart and it was loaded and i mean loaded with black fibers, they were everywhere in the gears and levelwind and drag. It was a huge mess. If you want to try a braid try powerpro or original spiderwire. Both of those praids are very good, they cast well and for the most part handle good and wont leave your reel full of junk.

I'm not putting it on ANY baitcasters. Been there, done that with most "super lines" and I agree 100% on the digging into the spool and horendous back lashes. However according to the marketing hype, Fireline XDS and Stren Super Braid has this problem solved because it "stays round". I might pick up a 125yd spool and give a whirl for scientific purposes.

I have heard good things about Fireline on Spinning reels though. I do intend to use it primarily for jiging / dragging tubes on St. Clair and in the rivers where sensitivity is critical.

I won't load up all 6 reels but I did buy the 300yd spool ($28) so I have to spool more than one...LOL

Thanks Jim B.

Man, I'm getting some serious mixed reviews. Like most things in life, I guess you either love it or hate it.

Since I have not opened it, maybe I'll return the 300yrd spool and pick up a few 125yrd spools of different lines and conduct my own tests.

Thanks,

Marke

Fireline is horrible on baitcasters (IMHO). Had it on one of mine and ended up taking it off because of backlashes and casting malfunctions. I've had several guys afterwards tell me it tears up baitcasters.

I have used Fireline on spinning and LOVED it!

Put it on a light weight spinning rod with a Shimano 500 reel - 10# Fireline with the 4# diameter was ideal when I added a 6# flourocarbon leader for large trout in deep pools. No memory. Minimally effected by twisting. Loved it!

I've used Fireline and Spiderwire Stealth and didn't care for either. I do like Power Pro 30# for flipping and pitching. I never had any more problems with it digging in on a backlash than with mono. The things I don't like about braid are: the wind wraps it around the rod tip very easily and it's hard to see.

Harpo

I used Stealth on my flipping/froggin rod last year and went back to Mono this year. It was not bad but when you get snagged up it is a pain, digs in on itself bad, just did not feel as smooth to me. I also tried it on a carolina rig rod for a while with a florocarbon leader...it was sensitive but in the clear waters I fish I had more confidence in a harder to see mono...that stealth was like a mooring rope in clear water.

Marke,

I'm sure I already talked to you about braided line, but here is what I use:

20# Power Pro with a mono leader on a spinning reel for Senkos. If I get hung up, I just break off the mono.

20# Power Pro on a Curado for T-rigging. No leader.

I plan on using 20# Power Pro on a Curado for C-rigging and going to try a flourocarbon leader.

Also going to try 30# Power Pro on a Curado on my flipping rod for jig n pig.

I took the braided line off of the two reels that I put it on last year and re-spooled it from the other end. If it last this season, I replace it next year.

Bob G.

Marke, whether it's ok or not I don't know, but with about a month before I start fishing seriously for the season I re-spool anyway, just to keep busy! ( started last weekend) Tried Fireline early last season, and am not knocking it, but maybe I'm just too set in my ways, I pulled it and went back to mono on ALL baitcasting and spinning setups. It just never "felt" right to me. Maybe I should have tried a different brand, but I'm content to use Trilene XL and XT in various weights and feel more "confident" with 'em. egMike

Well, I returned my Fierline this morning for a "store credit" and came home empty handed. BPS was sold out of EVERYTHING!! I'll keep the credit until they get what I want in stock.

I'm going to try Fireline XDS, Stren Super braid and Power Pro. I'll experiment with all of them and see what I like best.

Thanks again for all of your input.

Marke

Hey Marke, With you buying all these reels, I'd be more than happy to take all those old 1310's off your hands LOL

kb,

My new reels mentioned above are all spinning reels. I purchased two MG1310's also :eek:). I was going to purchase 3 of them but I spent the $60 upgrading 4 of my spinning reels to Catalysts.

Tox,

I think the Power Pro is also less expensive than the XDS and the Stren. BPS is currently out of all 3 in the size and color that I want. I spoke to my buddy Mike that works there. He is going to set aside a spool of each for me.

I need to correct my statements....it was Spiderwire that was on the baitcaster not Fireline.

Used fireline this weekend for the first time on a spinning reel. Fished the Tailrace canal on Santee-Cooper, I did not like the fireline at all. I could not get the lures tied easily, nor could I see the line!! It was grey and rainy, high winds Saturday and the line just about disappeared. 10Lb-4Lb diameter,The line with a weight would tangle up on the end of the rod with the slightest of loose line and was so small that I had trouble getting it straightend back out. Not much fun using it. switched back to rod with mono and enjoyed the rest of the day. Guy I was fishing with had stated he had tried it and would never go back. I might have that opinion after last weekends troubles

Might be fireline needs instructions on how to use it in and around the boat, not over the side in the water.

Of all the braids I've tried, I like Fireline the least. It seems to have a waxy coating on it that make it stiff and hard to manage. It also makes a funny noise when it goes through the guides. Power Pro doesn't have those problems, especially after it's used a couple of times. The invisable issue is the same on all braided lines. I've never tried the Hi-Vis yellow. I'm afraid it would be too visable. Anyway that's why I'm using P-Line now. It almost lights up like a neon light above the water. I do miss the direct feel of the Power Pro however.

Harpo

I cant tell you how much I hate Fire-Line for any application. I broke off 4 times in 1 tourney last year while pitching and flipping. Needless to say I will never try Fireline or another "super braid" again.

I am so dissapointed with fireline I could spit.

T.S.

I have Fireline on every one of my spinning reels since it was introduced, absolutely no mono for me except my Curado.

Fireline does have a "break in" time, but it doesn't take long, maybe a few casts.

I use nothing over 8lb test/3lb diam. and let the drag and pole do the actual work, not the line.

For those of you that are finding it breaking.... Berkley has been known to have bad batches, primarily 8lb test. I have had several bad batches myself.

However, I am going to switch half my reels to mono this year. I often wonder how many fish I miss because I use braid and it is "seen" so easliy, I'm hoping to prove my theory this summer.

Latest posts

Back