Power Pro???

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Shenton

Reaction score
So I picked up some 20lb power pro for my medium spinning rod. I threw it at a local pond for a couple of hours this morning and I am not sure what to think? This is my first departure from mono and it's a bit weird. I am not sure that I casts farther than mono. (I guess it does when compared to 20lb mono) Cutting it is a pain in the #*&%&#. I was disapointed to find out that it too, rolls up, when a foxtail spinner puts a few twists in it. (one of my main reasons to try something new). I like the transparent aspects of mono and I like the smooth knot tying. I could use more strength while still casting like 8 or 10 pound mono and a line thats less prone to twisting into knots when I throw spinners and the such. Am I on the right track, or should I try something else? I would love to find one kind of line in varying weights that I can use for everything from light spinning for trout and smallmouth, to heavy baitcast for big bass and small stripers/snook/specks. Any suggestions?

That's the way I use clear Stren.

The only thing you can do to avoid the line twists is either put a swivel ahead of the lure or just cut off the line when it gets too twisted - which is what I do.

(Fishing a Roostertail in a swift stream on ultra-light tackle with a small diameter spool twists the line in a big hurry.)

There is one minor thing you can do on spinning tackle to greatly reduce line twist.....flip the bail closed by hand, not by turning the handle. Turning the handle puts a half twist in the line every time you do it. A few hours of casting equals ALOT of twist.

Try carrying a small pair of scissors for cutting braided line. I use 20# Power Pro on one spinning reel for Senkos, but I use a swivel and mono leader. Senkos like to put a twist in the line sometimes when "jerking".

I use spinning rod/reels and 10# mono (BPS Excel) for throwing light lures.

me!, I know 10# line is heavy weight to you, but I catch a fair amount of pike when bass fishing. Also catch some nice bass too!

Bob G.

Twising lures (ie inline spinners) are not good for braid unless you use a QUALITY ball bearing swivel.

Do as Ken said also, close the bail manually, not by turning the reel handle.

Mini

Read the literature that came with your line. There are alot of tips in there. The recommend "Fiskars childrens scissors". They about $2 at Wally World and are very compact. They work great.

Latest posts

Back