Pontoon refurb

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich D

Reaction score
Has anyone done any work on a pontoon boat? My dad has a cabin on a hp restricted lake and has a 20 year old 22' pontoon. He's thinking of getting a new one next year and I'm considering buying the old, refurbing it and docking it at the lake.

The pontoons are in good shape, a few dings but no leaks.

The deck is solid, the carpet is a little shoddy.

The railings are good, but some of the braces are rusting.

The furniture is shot.

Motor is in good shape, about 10 years old.

My plan is to trash the seats and strip the boat to the toons. I'll probably replace the deck, recarpet and rewire it, buy new seats and reuse the railing with new braces and hardware.

Some quick math shows that I could get it done for around 4k.

Any thoughts and can anyone recommend a place for toon seats?

Thanks!

For toon seats, the place that a lot of bass boat central folks get seats has them:

http://www.boatingseats.com

Overton's and Bass Pro also seem to carry them.

If you are going to take it down to the toons as you say, your options are limitless. You don't have to rebuild it as it was, if you are going to use it as a fishing platform then why not set it up for fishing? If its for picnics and such how about a picinic table on the front deck? You are limited only by your imagination (and budget).

BF

Bruce,

That's the plan - I do want to reuse the railings, so that is my only limitation. I figure I will put fishing seats in the front and back, leave the front deck open and put some bench seats in the middle for lounging...

One suggestion I've seen on 'toon rebuilds that looks great and very functional is permaboard decking instead of treated wood. There's a fella that rebuilt one at the marina I fill at sometimes and his 'toon looks like a portable patio and is simply gorgeous. The upkeep has to be the easiest and the durability is unmatched. I'm sure the cost added is a down side, but it would be a one time cost considering the life of the product. Just thought I'd mention it. Good luck and enjoy!! ;)

Latest posts

Back