Polishing aluminum

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Misocky

Reaction score
Need to know what's the grit sandpaper to use on oxidized aluminum and also the best polish to use.

Tee will be along to give some advise on making your tin shine like a new dime. I will tell you he uses "Sharkhide" for the final coat. I do not remember him saying anything about sanding tin....I would think once you sand it you will never get the finish back but I could be wrong.

Don't sand...just polish and yes it can be a RPIA BUT, the final result will be worth it.

Remember aluminum will start oxidizing the minute you stop polishing..although a few days unfinished should be fine before applying Sharkhide. A quart is all you need with some left over for future touchups. If you decide to do it right...e-mail me and I'll give you a step by step;)

boat.jpg

Easy three steps guys....

Polish Clean Sharkhide!:lol:

Polish the sides,top cap, bow(down to a little below the waterline) and the transom.

BPS makes a decent polish but, it will take a couple of bottles or you can splurge for the more expensive 3M aluminum polish but, thinks it's over rated IMHO. You'll need a ton of towels because of the black oxidation coming off. You can use a buffer but, be careful of the decals and have plenty of spare bonnets.

I applied Sharkhide with those little 4" foam rollers for painting smaller stuff (works great BTW). Pick a smaller area to apply (say a 2'X 2' area) apply the hide evenly with light even strokes because this stuff is pretty thin..then, LIGHTLY go back over to remove bubbles and uneven spots and runs. Note: Sharkhide starts setting up within a minute or two (thus the 2'X 2' area). The topcap can be applied with a light rag. Stay at least an 1/8" away from decals because it will eat them eventually.

Go to Sharkhide.com to learn more about the product.

Can't say enough good about it....worth it's weght in gold. I use for just about any metal including a 3' brass eagle on the front of my house that I repolished on a buffing wheel then applied the hide.

I think it comes from outer space:D:cool::lol:

Take pictures when done! One last thing..The SS Tracker looks better today and did you notice the date on the pic?;)

the best metal polish I have ever used is Harley Davidson pink metal polish, it will turn alum into chrome!!! with some hard work!!!

Latest posts

Back