Polar Vortex

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had to look up FRA since I didn't know that it was Fleet Reserve Association, kinda like the Vietnam Veterans Association I just joined. I too became a Lifetime member of the DAV (today actually). Hadn't yet joined the VFW although there's a chapter half a mile from me. I pass it every time I go to town so I may drop in and check it out. the VVA doesn't seem to have a permanent structure or meeting place yet. The VFW has a pretty nice place from what I can tell. Kinda thinking of going with the Legacy Lifetime Gold Membership if I can figure out their fees structure. Hmmm, just thought of something, that'll give me 2 more patches for my vest. I'll start a new thread on that.

Reactions: cq
I was in 'Nam... fortunately for me it was this past year. I went on a humanitarian trip to build an elementary school and bring essential aids and school supplies. Flew into Hanoi and then flew to Dong Hoi in the Quan Binh province where we bussed it to about th Laos boarder (2km away) where the school site was at. Great trip...spent 10 days there visiting the region including Hanoi for a couple days.

I am glad you got to do this. How did the people treat you? Are there any hard feeling about the war we fought? I have thought about maybe one day going back and see how the country rebounded. Keep up the good work.

I am glad you got to do this. How did the people treat you? Are there any hard feeling about the war we fought? I have thought about maybe one day going back and see how the country rebounded. Keep up the good work.

Like royalty. Most, if not all of the children had never seen a Westerner before and their eyes were wide with amazement. When we went to Ho Chi Minh's memorial, we were asked to take photos with people outside, like we were some kind of celebrities. The government still plays the propaganda radio broadcasts daily in public as well as show propaganda videos on some of the large digital displays in some areas, but the people have been so embattled in war over the last 200 years, the french, China, Russia, America, etc. that they seem to be too tired to hold onto grudges and only want to live a peaceful existence.

The economy is ridiculous compared to ours. 21,000 VD = $1 USD. The average Vietnamese salary in Hanoi is $1400 USD a year. I raised $2100 USD to take over to buy supplies and nutritional aids while we were there. When I went into the store, I asked the manager, "I have 44 million VD to buy stuff in your store, can I get a discount?" He thought I wanted to buy his store/business, since that amount was almost double an average yearly salary. I had to get my translator to help communicate, I only wanted the goods, not the store itself. In essence it would be like going to Target or Walmart with $250,000USD to spend on school supplies and nutritional aids. Kinda seems a little far out there when I put it in that perspective.

Hotels were cheap too. The Sofitel in Hanoi was a 5 star hotel, $89 a night. Cabs were under a $1 or $2 to go anywhere. Beer was $0.50 a can in a restaurant. Everything was very affordable. I asked our guide and translator what his professional services would cost me if I returned on my own? He said, $50 USD a day for him (all day) and $30 USD a day for a driver, car and gas. So for $80 USD a day, you could have a personal guide and a chauffeur all day that is university educated on the history of Vietnam and licensed as an official guide.

I would highly recommend it to anyone.

Latest posts

Back