Polar Vortex

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dougiemac

So who's experiencing the Polar Vortex?

I'm in my Cincinnati office and it's getting ready to turn nasty cold tonight. My buddy who lives in Cody, Wyoming said it was 65ºF on Monday and will be a high of 2ºF and a low of -9ºF by Friday! These temps this early in the season is ridiculous!

Had snow in OK city yesterday bad morning to travel today. We are going to get above 32 Tuesday. This will feel like a summer day. We have been in the single digits wind chills. Lakes have ice forming on them.

Had snow in OK city yesterday bad morning to travel today. We are going to get above 32 Tuesday. This will feel like a summer day. We have been in the single digits wind chills. Lakes have ice forming on them.

OKC? My ol' hometown. I moved there right out of high school in 1990 and lived the entire decade there. Although I wasn't born and raised in OKC, I absolutely loved it there.

Well, as common with Georgia weather... sub-freezing temps the last few days' low temperatures and the high temperature this weekend will hit 70ºF.

Roller Coaster Weather!

I moved out of OHIO to get out of this, one good thing Eye's and trout will be on the feed and Oaklawn opens Jan 6th.

I moved out of OHIO to get out of this, one good thing Eye's and trout will be on the feed and Oaklawn opens Jan 6th.

Me too @cq.
My mom and dad in SW Ohio sent me these yesterday. 5" of snow. Broke the record for the most snow early in the season.

IMG_0993.jpeg
IMG_5873.jpeg
IMG_5873.jpeg

Reactions: cq
OKC? My ol' hometown. I moved there right out of high school in 1990 and lived the entire decade there. Although I wasn't born and raised in OKC, I absolutely loved it there.
You would not even recognize OKC now. A lot has changed with the maps program. If you get back down this way let me know and we will get together. Have a happy holiday.

You would not even recognize OKC now. A lot has changed with the maps program. If you get back down this way let me know and we will get together. Have a happy holiday.

Yeah I know! I travel quite a bit and still have a best friend that lives there and works at Will Rogers as a aircraft mechanic. I was there last year and hit all my usual spots, including "Ted's Cafe Escondido"! Holy Guacamole! That place is my all time favorite Mexican restaurant.

My what puppies, I went to boot camp after graduation in 1966. I guess you could call me an OL'E FART!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My what puppies, I went to boot camp after graduation in 1966. I guess you could call me an OL'E FART!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ha! Puppies....I wish I felt like and had the energy of a puppy. At 42, I feel pretty darn old, but I guess it's all relative.

Wait until you hit my age 66. Then you can say you feel pretty darn old. That is when it takes a week to do a job that only takes a day.

I'm at 65, takes me a month to do use to be a day. Heart problems SUCK. Seems like only yesterday I could do anything I wanted and sometimes still try. Course the chest hammering lets you known darn quick, hey bud, you ain't no spring chicken anymore. Ahhh man, look at a picture of me laying on a bunk bed after 2 tours of nam and I envy that rock hard body I use to have. Yep, those were the days of long gone health.

Ha! Puppies....I wish I felt like and had the energy of a puppy. At 42, I feel pretty darn old, but I guess it's all relative.
It is only relative if there is no Life Guard at the Gene Pool. I didn't just say that, Yes I did. You can slap me if you want, but that is funny.

We both have the same problem. Nam 69-70. Agent orange got me. 3 stints, loss of hearing, diabetes, and lots of other things. Still working with the VA to help with my loss of hearing. I have received a 70% so far. I retired 4 years ago from a company in Italy. I was a terminal manager here in Oklahoma City for 30 years. I was a F4 crew chief at Phu Cat. Keep watch on your health and have a good long life.

Ahhhh Phu Cat, I was at DaNang at that time and got hurt. 2 weeks after the hospital stay, I got sent back to Tuy Hoa. 7 stints, 2 open heart and pacemaker. Hoping to get the defibrillator in December. Next Tues heart echo is done at Nashville VA and then the following Friday Chief Surgeon will tell me if my heart is at 35% or less, the criteria for the procedure. I won't know if its open heart until I wake up. The trick is getting the lead out of the lower portion of the heart. If they rupture the heart, then they'll crack the chest to finish the procedure. So either I wake up without tubes in my throat and chest, or I wake up wanting ICE real bad LOL. (and they won't give it to ya for couple of hours - torture - PURE TORTURE).

It really won't do much for me physically, other than giving wife peace of mind that if the heart takes a dump, I get a juice jump start and get the motor running again (maybe) LOL. Sound like a model T now (with ANY physical effort) whhhhheeeeez wheeeeezzzeee cough cough wheeeez while chest (crackcase) pounds like an SOB. But hey, it might give me 3-7 more years of fishing southern Louisiana. Really hoping to get off the no driving/not being left alone restriction. Wife just had cancer surgery earlier this month but is doing well, but its tough doing most everything she was doing for me, now I gotta do it for both of us. Yeah and its a touch cold out there too, 20 for tonight. Figured this will be our coldest winter yet. Agent Orange gave me 100% (first try, only took 4 months to process - thought I was really lucky). My cardiologist did a good job of writing it up I guess but the PET exam was the tell all (and what prompted my 13th procedure and 2nd open heart). Think that makes 27 surgeries I've had now. Chest, back, right arm and legs all scarred up (shot twice, stabbed twice in the back), what I get for not looking behind me I guess oh and plus getting run over by a Cadillac (that darn near killed me), and getting hit by cars twice after that. One by a teenager at a school crossing that didn't obey hand commands. Oh except for the butcher knife attack, I did see that one coming and threw up the right arm to block it. She was just trying to kill her husband who I was blocking her from (Dyess AFB housing area in 77). He was stupid enough to be porking his next door neighbor when her husband was gone. o_O what a dumbazzzz, thinking his wife wouldn't catch on. That butcher knife stuck just before the elbow into the bone and like a pool board just bounced there. Yep, that was a sleeper while they dug that out of the bone. :mad: I sure do miss law enforcement though and the thrill of my dog getting a good bite on a prep or making the big drug bust. Yeah, pursuits gotta count in there too. :D

Man you do have it bad. It takes a lot of will just to try and survive. I am still working on my 100%. I didn't apply until I was 62. That is when I retired from my job. Got to thinking about the cost of the medicine I was taking and knowing the
insurance I had would be gone when I turned 65. I had good insurance when I was working and at a low cost. Now on Medicare and that doesn't pay much. At least with 70% the VA pays for all of it. I want to wish you the best for you and your wife future. I will keep you in mind.

By the way my son is a police officer here in OKC. He works brick town and also fly's with helicopter branch. I get to ride with him a lot. Also get to fly in the chopper some. It is a lot of fun. My other son works in the Bahamas. He is a civilian working for the Navy IT Dept. He has a 26ft fishing boat and does a lot of fishing and lobster diving. I will be going out there this spring and get into some fishing with him. I will let you know how I do.

Be careful and have a great holiday.

26ft boat to go offshore, cool. That's what made me go to VA. I was making 1200 a month with the local town IT dept working part time (wife's insurance) but all my money was going to medicine. Went to VA in 2005 and paid 7 bucks per medicine every 3 months, talk about savings. I did all the helicopter flying I wanted to do when I was in narcotics investigations working for private companies (Private Dick with a dog), it was good money but gone from home a lot flying all over the country. Offshore rigs was the bulk of my work for 7 years Gulf Coast with occasional stints on Pacific coast and rare trips to Canada offshore and UK North Sea. Several near misses with small planes coming out of fog banks plus one dunk in the drink is enough for me (we ran out of fuel due to high winds). I want to see pics of some of those fish you catch offshore. I think I can do one trip to Louisiana (probably next Oct), gotta catch up on bills so wife can retire next year and goes on disability. After next year then I think I can manage a few more trips per year. Gotta get a new handicap van for her too (next year expense). We're hoping to get funds to have a handicap accessible kitchen done next year, our kitchen is SMALL and gonna have some Vietnam Vets help make our bathrooms more accessible with the wheelchairs (next year project too) with the help of my local Vietnam Veteran of America Chapter http://www.vva.org/

I had donated a wheelchair I got in a bass boat trade (too small for me) and a 4 wheel handicap scooter I couldn't use in the house or yard so the local handicap device repair guy turned me onto the guy who's the chapter president of our local chapter. So looks like I'll get a little help in return. I donate cash to the repair guy because he helps veterans obtain equipment when the VA turns them down or won't repair what they have. He charges them nothing in return. He's helped me a few times so I figured its a sign I should help him help others like me. After all, I can't take any money with me where I go when I die other than making sure wife is good to go and sure don't want Maobama and his minions getting their hands on it. ;)

FYI, not to brag, but I am a Lifetime member of DAV, VFW and FRA. I will brag that I give to those groups. DAV in some areas will come to your home and pick up donations, just keep that in the back of your head.

Latest posts

Back