Plumbing advice

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shane White

Reaction score
1999 Nitro 185 S/F

good day everyone. I have been lurking around for a few weeks and this has been a great source of info. This boat is new to me and I know the previous owner liked to tinker so I'm not sure if my setup is completely stock or not.

I want to replace both livewell pumps and bilge pump. The bilge is straightforward to me no worries there, what leaves me a bit worried is...

#1 the forward livewell pump is transom mounted, it has a nasty kink in the hose, based on my picture is this the correct pump orientation? is a 90* pump prescribed here or should I use a strait pump with a 90* elbow coming off the pump.

#2 the pump attached to the Flo-rite valve. I do not know where to start here. I was going to disassemble the pump off the body and take measurements etc but that would mean double the downtime. Anybody swap this out to a cartridge style and if so, any tips I would appreciate it.
bilge area.jpg

Yep, it sure does look like the thru hull one is the wrong type for sure. I would put a 90 deg pump on it for sure.

as far as the one on the valve goes its pretty simple. get another 90 deg style and all you have to do is cut the pipe on the new pump to length and swap it out w a little teflon tape to keep it from leaking. Its just threaded on there.

You should be able to swap them both for cartridge style pretty easily. When my had my 882 with a system like that i upgraded mine to mayfair cartridge pumps and also upgraded to 750gph as well. The extra pumping power was worth the upgrade, the wells filled much quicker and could recirc more water.

I highly recommend the mayfair brand pumps as well. I had a rule cartridge style a few years ago and i didnt like how the cartridge locked in. Mine would pop off in rough water and more than once i had to dive in there to put it back on because my hull was filling with water. its not fun having to remove batteries and move the oil tank and remove an access plate on the water to get to it when your boat is taking on water rapidly.... I ended up having to duct tape it on to keep it there after it fell off multiple times in one day. i replaced it rather quickly after that. The mayfair pumps lock in nicely and stay put.

the 90 deg version of these pumps will do it.
http://www.basspro.com/Mayfair-Cartridge-Bilge-and-Livewell-Aerating-Pumps/product/37059/102145

And remember ... the key to successful plumbing work is to ensure that the crack of your arse is showing while you work. :lol::wacko::lol::wacko::lol:

Hey Shane, I have a 1999 Nitro 640LX and after looking at your pix I had to go take a look at mine, (ya know, sometimes you look a 100 times and never see) if you have a telescoping mirror and look under your gas tank tank you may see the mounting bracket for the live well pump which is a 90* pump. If our boats are simular and you also have that mounting bracket it looks pretty simple to change out and plumb.This boat is also new to me and all original equipment, only 156hrs on the motor when I got it. I have added a few things but try to keep it as close to original as possible. Good luck and "always use a crooked hook"

Latest posts

Back