Please help

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron Plocek

Reaction score
Hello

I have a 2007 929 with a Merc Opti 225 pro xs. I am on the State Team through my local Tracker Dealer @ a Bass Pro Shops. I have had nothing but problems with my boat. The Service Manager and Sales Manager don't like eachother so I constantly get lied to when I find ANOTHER problem with the boat this was caused my them. I have had a motor issue that they couldn't figure out so I took it to another Merc dealer and they figured out the problem in 5 minutes. Now, I have so many problems that I can't think streight. I don't want to go to corporate because I want to maintain a relationship with them becuase I truly LOVE Nitro and want to do everything I can to promote them. I am trying to sell my boat and 4 people looking to buy it lifed the Motor cover to see another issue my service department did for me. They left my motor without the cover in the rain and there is so much oxidation on everything, all the screws are rusted.... It looks like a 15 year old motor. All 4 people bailed on me because of that. Nitro would like us to have a new boat every year, but I cant sell this one like it is. I am at the end of my rope.... Please, if anyone has any suggestions on what I should do I would greatly appreciat it.

Thank you,

Ron

I remember reading about this in another post a few weeks back.

I hate to be this way but i dont think there is anything anyone here can really do. really this all lies between you, the dealer and Nitro. Have you tried barking up the complete chain of command at the store? I would think the general manager could/should get involved. Truly if the dealer is being as bad as you say you have no choice but to get coporate involved and if they dont resolve the issues then you may have to take it to the next level and get a Lawyer.

Ron, come on...seriously.

Im on the Bass Pro "Pro Staff" and had my share of going back and forth as well with Nitro and BPS. I understand where you are comming from but first thing is first. YOU bought this boat, it wasnt given to you. Dont be such a nice guy, this issue goes straight to the top and im sure someone will do something. If it is as bad as you say then get your butt moving. Noone is going to run to you from the bottom of the barrel to help. Thats what the top guys get paid for.

This first pep talk is free....get going.

Mike Gershberg

Bass Pro Shops "Pro Staff"

President- Royal Palm Bassmasters

Isn't this the 80 problems guy??? Ron you got good advice in your last post by the same title. Do what has been suggested and then let us know how it turns out. You were given names and numbers before....call them. When I was on the State Team my store bent over backwards to help me.

TOXIC

Ditto-

I was on the State Team from 2001-2005. You will always have issues with any boat. If the dealer can't or will not fix, do you really want to be on that team. You have to call Nitro(tracker marine) if you really want this resolved. If they kick you off, don't worry about it. It is not that good of a deal. Usually, if you are on the state team, you have to work some boat shows for your dealer. It sound like you and your dealer are not getting along anyway.

Take

Responsibilty

Or

Lose

Liability

The above is either advice or identification. Time will tell.;):D

Glenn, as always you make a good point. Id love to see that list too. Are there even 80 uniqie things on one of these boats that can break?

This guy also posted on BBC Bass boat central. Sounds fishy to me!?:huh:

I seen it too......

That's whay I jumped so quick. I may be gettin' old but ,my memeory is still good!

Glenn...it was a "nonkeeper", so we thru it back!:lol:

It was in the NITRO owners site. I looked and they deleated the thread. I guess they felt he was full of Bull chit also. LOL

Wow...tuff crowd...guess I won't mention my list of issues (it is over 60 items long, and yes, corporate does have a copy of the list) that still aren't all fixed.

heck, I've been thru 3 windshields, and still don't have one that fits correctly or isn't damaged straight out of the box.

Why not list them? Go ahead, post them so I can see what in the world 60 things wrong on a rig would be. I have a 2000 929 that has been through the ringer and I couldn't find 20 let alone 60 or 80 things that were not normal wear and tear or caused by me. I just think it is strange that all these problems exist yet nobody will list them. I say with the utmost respect...."Put up or Shut up"

TOXIC

Not sure if it will let me post the full list, but here goes.....

1) The spare tire mount included in the Pro Pack does not provide enough clearance between the tire & hull to even mount the tire. Tracker had to buy a different brand mount from BPS and use it, and it provided barely enough clearance to mount the tire. I had to add spacers to get marginal clearance between the hull & tire.

2) The master power switch loose in dash to the point it would spin about

And I have some more items recently found that aren't even added yet.

Granted, a good many of these have been fixed, but that none of these should have EVER been an issue. Some are more of a cosmetic nature than functional, but still, pay 30 grand for a rig and you expect it to at least be built right.

And this list was generated long before any 'wear and tear' was even put on the boat.

:blink: :wacko:

I guess there's about five or so in there that aren't a big deal, but that's one heck of a list. Sounds like there must have been a good party the night before they made your boat!

I'm not trying to make light of your issues - just amazed that that many items can get through quality control. I'm thinking this is the exception, but it should be fixed to your satisfaction, especially with this many obvious problems.

Thanks for posting the list. I see some things that would concern me and a bunch of things that have nothing to do with Tracker. I also see some things that are normal (like the sealant under the rubrail) that could have been explained to you but weren't. Is your list a little nit-picky?....Yes....but there are some issues buried in the list.

TOXIC

nit picky, maybe to some, but I expect something I pay so much for to be free of 95% of these things.

The sealant being there isn't a problem, it's the fact that there is soo much there that it can be seen in some places standing beside the boat without looking under the rub rail that bothers me.

Some of the items may not be tracker directly, but they sold the boat with the items on it, and they are responsible for making them right.

Would you settle for a new truck with a scratched windshield ?, or a radio that hums, or an undercarriage that isn't painted or at least undercoated ?

I am addressing the cover issues with the people who made it, even tho I bought it thru tracker, and the same goes for the steering issues, which Seastar says is a bad helm, (which they are sending me direct).

What aggravates me the most, is on most of these things, NOTHING has been done about or any attempts to fix are not noticeable in any way.

Shoot, they did fix some of the gelcoat issues, but the guy who did the repair, left me with a dip in the gelcoat now instead of a bubble, which they have to fix again.

Things are to the point nowe, that after almost 6 months of trying to get them to fix these problems, I am about ready to just do it myself so they get fixed before I pay the boat off.

Anyway, you wanted the list, so I 'Put it Up'.......:D

Boat/Truck analogies don't match up..never have but with that being said, I could have gone through my truck when I bought it off the dealer floor and found plenty of things wrong. My point is, I could have complained there was a nick on the lower rear 1/4 panel then drove it home and got one in it the same day, it's a balancing act. Unless you plan on putting your boat in the garage and never running it I wouldn't sweat the small stuff or the stuff you can tweak yourself. The TM, big motor, electronics etc., on your boat carry their own warranties and are not included with the things Tracker is responsible for. Tracker helps you out because the want to not because they have to, just be aware of that. Your TM humms....take it up with MG (they all do) but if it is mounted wrong then that is a dealer issue. If I was in the dealership and had to address your list here's what I'd say....(and just to show you I seriously looked at your list)

Tracker Should Fix - 4,5,7,9,10,17,38-40,53 & 54. I gave you some leeway on some of the items.

Picky Items - 26,27,42-46, 48, 61,63.

Things easily fixed by you - 2,3,11,13,15,28,29,33,58,59,66.

Most all of the other items have nothing to do with Tracker including your engine complaints (which I assume Tracker is assisting you with) TM (other than the mounting), Steering (which SeaStar is replacing).

37,47,55,57,60 are normal with all boats.

As for your depthfinder, unless the transducer is mounted wrong, it is common (there are lots of threads on the subject).

No manufacturer seals bunks or carpets the bottom of the bunks. If they did the water that did get in would not get out and would rot them faster.

Compartments leaking could be happening if you don't turn to the "lock" position and water gets in through the keyhole or if the carpet is new. Most boat compartments are not watertight or they wouldn't have drains in them.

I'm not trying to bust your chops but you could have also said, the holeshot is terrible, my speedo is not accurate, there is a gas smell in the compartments and the boat chinewalks:p

Hope you end up satisfied and remember, there are a lot of other dealers you can take your rig to if you are not happy. Especially with the Merc.

TOXIC

Not sure if it will let me post the full list, but here goes.....

1) The spare tire mount included in the Pro Pack does not provide enough clearance between the tire & hull to even mount the tire. Tracker had to buy a different brand mount from BPS and use it, and it provided barely enough clearance to mount the tire. I had to add spacers to get marginal clearance between the hull & tire. Was it installed in the right position?

2) The master power switch loose in dash to the point it would spin about

I agree with Toxic on most of those points. I can expand on some a few too.

#4 i agree with you 10000% that Nitro dropped the ball on this one.

#6 Are you turning the handles to the locked position and pushing down to seal the gasket? If not thats the problem and the water is siming thru the keyhole. Try that and id bet it fixes it.

#11 This is just bad rigging by the dealer period.

#12 Again the dealer is 100% at fault.

#13 Mine does this too, its a crappy design by Tie Down Engineering who makes the actuator. There is nothing tracker can do about this one. Yes they sold you the boat with it but they cent re-engineer someone elses product. Traker isnt the only that uses that brand either...

#16 Another dealer rigging issue. These are not installed at the factory.

#20 is pretty normal, i have never seen a boat with hyd steering that didnt do this.

#21 Welcome to Motorguide ownership....

#22 is pretty normal fo ra V6 Merc. The reeds are a little noisy under 4k.

#23 may be normal too, efi and carb V6 mercs dont idle very smooth.

#24 is also normal. They dont run a lot of pressure and flow at idle on the efi/carb mercs. My old xr6 for example would just dribble out of the hole at idle but would if i revved it to say 1500rpm.

#32 i have noticed the same thing on my old xr6 whren i had it. It was never smooth at low rpm. I assume the exi si similar since its a very similar motor.

#33 Yet another dealer related rigging issue.

#34 Not sure on this one but not normal, i wonder if they set the ldle too low when it was rigged?

#36 Dito on Tox's comments, ine are pressure treated lumber for sure. Im surprised yours arent

#37 i dont know of any bassboat that doesnt have this issue. Try not pumping full blast and also turn the hendle upside down when you fill. Both of those will help.

#42 That pin should NOT be made from stainless. That pin is made from hardened steel, stainless would be too soft to deal with the stress it will be put under and could bend/break. Id rather deal with a little rust then my trailer in a ditch on the side of the road any day of the week.

#47 Another normal thing i have seen on lots of boats.

#48 Yep it does stink, try a Triton theres it even tighter.

#55-57 do you have a dowco cover? I had one that came with my 882 and it was a peice of junk. My dealer donesnt sell those any more and has custome made ones that work much better( i replaced my dowco on my old boat with an Aurora canvas and it was worlds better).

#60 I have never seena boat fuel guage thats accurate.

I have not seen any of these issues with my Z7 with the exception of the crappy design on the middle seat and the e-brake cable that hangs up( i figured out if you pull on it a little the latch comes right up)

mini & tox- You must have the patience of Job to decipher this list. :lol:

I've seen a few lists like this in my time. :rolleyes: From my view it boils down to about 60% dealer inefficiency, 20% Tracker QC, and 20% buyer overexpectations. There are a handful of issues that Tracker needs to address, but the main beef is with the rigging dealer and I would strongly suggest a different one. A polite business call to TMG and a request for a different dealer should handle the real problems pretty quick.

I've seen a few lists like this in my time. From my view it boils down to about 60% dealer inefficiency, 20% Tracker QC, and 20% buyer overexpectations. There are a handful of issues that Tracker needs to address, but the main beef is with the rigging dealer and I would strongly suggest a different one. A polite business call to TMG and a request for a different dealer should handle the real problems pretty quick.

I agree with that totally. TRCM and i both have new Z7's and our experiences have been totally different. I bought mine from an independent tracker/nitro dealer and other then the aformentioned seat and the coupler that requires a little jiggle on the cable to get it open i have had zero issues with my boat(elecgtronics not included but i added those myself and the issues are firmware related). I knew what to expect when i bought it and from a quality prospective from the factory i am actually quite impressed with the job nitro did on my boat. In a nutshell i had many more issues with my last brand new Champion upon delivery then this boat( really the seat was the only issue and its just a crappy design but i fixed it). I know my dealer has some to do with it too, they are extremely good at what they do and it shows.

My list of gripes with my boat is pretty small, i dont think i could be happier with it at this point. The things i dont like.... The cooler is too small to hold as much food/drink as i like to carry( you fish on my boat and you WILL eat well, its a rule), im still paying for it, and the summer is too #$*%)@^ short.

WOW, like I said, tuff crowd. If I was to agree with yalls comments, then I guess anyone can build something, do a half baked job, and sell it for a lot of money, and the customer is supposed to just accept it as normal. Heck that is WHY they do it, it saves them money, and they don't have to worry about fixing it cuz they know the customer is gonna think it is ok.

Car/truck boat analogies do work, so do washing machine and boat analogies. ANYTHING worth building is worth building right, that is the analogy, not whether it is a boat, car or washing machine.

As I said, a lot of these have been fixed, but the request for the list, not if they have or have not been fixed.

The trailer axle not being centered is being picky ? It makes the rig look like crap, and I have had more than one person tell me so without me pointing it out. How is that for future sales ??

The excess silicone on the cupholders and such is not a function thing, it is a cosmetic thing. It looks like whoever put them in had silicone all over their hands, and got a lot in placs it shouldn't be, and didn't bother to clean it up.

and mini....

1) it is mounted inthe only place it can be mounted due to trailer and boat design.

2) fixed

3) fixed

4) fixed at time of delivery

5) fixed

6) yes, the handles are correctly seated, and when you unlock the compartment to get in it, the water runs in

7) the mountign plate was tweaked upon install, they put a completely new TM on the boat and it works fine now

8) well, not sure how else to describe it, but the shaft was not even close to being straight up and down in any direction when lowered

9) the current one is the best yet, but it still has a scratch init that is too deep to buff out, and it was damaged when they opened the box as I watched

10) the rubrail sits 1" lower than it should

11) shortened

12) 150 efi merc, 2007 model. I kow about the extra oil, but they also put the wrong oil in the reservoir

13) you can move the cable and it will allow the lever to work, but moving the cable is sometimes hard to do as the plastic covering hangs inthe slot

14) fixed

15) well, it gets fixed as it shows up

16) let it go

17) yes, but fixed

18) yes, it is tilt, had to have tilt due to the high seat mounting, otherwise I'd be steerign between my knees

19) yes, clicks, as in the helm pump doing it's job

20) I know it will not center itself, I have figured that one out, but it is very hard to steer, and if you tilt the motor all the wa up,and let it sit, within 3 hrs, the motor will have fallen all the way over to onde side or the other. YEs, the sytem has been bled 3 times now, by 2 different dealers with nothing getting any better. No leaks either

21) prop to hub clearance is fine

22) not a 90, but the issue seems to have gone away

23) not sure how else to describve it, when idling, it sounds like someone hits the hull every now and then, similar to a race car idling with a bad motor mount

24) fixed

25) trim switch at motor works fine, it appears it is the gage, I've learned to deal with it

26) picky ? no, think of a car seat that looks like crap after you sit in it

27)agree too much is better than to little, but whe it is so much too much that it looks like a kid did it, that's sloppy work period

28) Yes, I understand occasionally tightening bolts, but these were obviously not ever tightened in the first place

29) see above

30) agreed, but no other dealer within a reasonable driving distance

31) see reply to #20

32) 23P tempest plus prop....learned to deal with it

33) learning to deal with it

34) agreed, but even when it is put in gear fast, that first movement in gear of the throttle will kill the engine. IE, slow throttle movement will not work

35) Well, when you are in 40 ft of water, and it reads 140 and flashing, something is wrong. M

TRCM, the simple fact that you don't understand the level headed responses you got tells me what kind of "customer" that you are. We are not blind Tracker backers...you got honest opinions not brand loyalty. I don't know you personally and you might be a great guy but I wouldn't want to sell you a new anything because you want it perfect from the mass produced and assembled factory. Like Dan Said, you have overexpectations for the quality of a mass produced rig. You are buying a boat not a Lamborghini....Have you ever bought a new truck or car?? Was it perfect from the showroom. I've bought my share and NONE were. I can't use your dryer example because I make it a point to buy scratch and dent units cause I'm cheap and nobody sees them!!:lol: Why cause a fuss with a small factory imperfection in the paint if you are going to take it on the open road. The windshield and paint on my brand new truck got chipped on the way home from the dealership. $hit happens. Lord knows, I am more anal about my vehicles than anyone but I am realistic.

We are not a tough crowd. We are a group of boat owners that I would venture a guess have bought hundreds of boats new and used from many manufacturers and continue to do so. We have real world experience with real world expectations. You have gotten excellent advice/opinions on what issues are worthy of digging your heels in on and which ones are either fixable by you or somewhat "normal". Do with it what you will. Try posting a list of problems like yours on any brand and any other board and most likely, you'll get dogpiled. The fact that the majority of the responses here match up and mirror each other should tell you something. Like it or not. Don't get me wrong, nobody likes shoddy workmanship, especially when you are spending big bucks for a product. Answer me this, what drew you to NITRO to buy your boat and how many other brands did you look at?

TOXIC

There are a lot of items that might be picky, but there are things that should have been fixed by the dealer before the boat was delivered to the customer. The items that are dealer negligence will make someone mad enough that they are going to look for everything they can find. I imagine if the major dealer issues had been fixed before the boat was presented to TRCM, he probably would not be that upset by the minor issues. (This is only my opinion and not that of anyone else!!)

Good point. You are right that once you get your dander up you will have a habit of going over it with a fine tooth comb. You still should be realistic in your expectations and the dealer should be willing to fix those issues.

TOXIC

Yep Tox, and Velcro. Like i said before he and i have the same basic boat and our experience has been 100% different. I 100% feel that the difference is in the dealer. Mine delievered the boat 100% perfect to me and i could not be happier. I know they found a couple of things during thier rigging that they needed to address, one was the hand control they didnt like how it felt so they replaced it and they found a thru hull fitting that was cracked. Both items were replaced well in advance my my scheduled pick up date and thats the difference. The dealer found these things, not me. Everything i wanted rigged that was extra etc was done and done right. The only thing i did was beef up the center seat thats mentioned above and install my fish finder on the front and network the two units. My seat was not broken but i knew looking at the boats on the bps floor(not where i got mine) before i ever bought mine that it would eventually be an issue so i made it better before it ever became one.

Personally i would never buy a boat from BPS because of stories like TRCM's. Not that all bps's are bad but it seems like there are a lot of stories like his and things never seem to get resolved. Where i got my boat from i was buying it there regardless of brand. They just happen to sell Nitro's, if they didnt i would have bought something else from them. My dealer knows boats, its all they do and they do it well. I bought my boat from the same guy i got my last one from, the service and parts guys are the same guys i have known for years. The guy that rigged my boat was the same guy that did my last one etc... Its nice to walk in and the people you are dealing with know you by name. Not because I am there alot but because they care about thier customers and get to know them.

Thanks for your reponse. I agree that this is not a good case for Tracker Boats and I am in no way telling you that you should just accept the workmanship of this dealer or Tracker Marine. I understand how frustrating it can be, trust me. I have owned 5 Nitros in the last 10 years (former State Team) I am not tied to tracker Marine any longer although I am still on Staff with BPS. Due to the high prices of boats now, I bought a used Ranger last year from a friend. I knew the boat since it was new and even used it extensively when my Nitro 911 was being replaced.

After I wrote post I went and looked at your pictures....should have done that first! LOL I was reminded (after the cobwebs shook loose) that Tracker snatched up a bunch of the EFI motors before Merc stopped production on them. You have a nice looking rig, a guy I fish against on Tuesday nights has the same rig (minus the power steering and he has a MinnKota...he loves his!)I am serious that you should follow through all of your issues that can be tied directly to Tracker and your dealer. I am glad some of the things are fixed, I just wanted to let you and others know that some things are unrealistic. I dont see many on your list, but there are a few.

I wish you the best of luck geting the issues resolved, it sounds like you are on your way.

Well, sadly I do understand the responses. I also get the impression that those responding seem to think I should be content with whatever I get. I am not, sorry. I worked hard for my money, and I expect quality in a product when I spend that money on it. The honest opinions seem to me to represent what the average person is willing to accept, which is mediocrity. WE accept it, and then wonder why that is all we get. Well, if we don't hold the companies to doing better, they won't. Why the heck do you think all american car companies were having such a hard time before the fuel prices went crazy ?, they lowered their quality standards a long time ago and we kept on buying them, and even tho they are coming back up, the imports have been kicking their butt in this area for a long time.

If I pay for a large coke at McDonalds, I expect it to be full, not a large cup filled with a small size amount of coke. When I buy something, I expect a quality product. Not perfection, but it shouldn't be far off. Yes, I have bought new vehicles, 6 of them in fact thruout my life. And no, they weren't perfect, but they also weren't so far off either. I've never bought a new car (or used for that matter) that had an axle so blatantly misplaced. Does it work, yes, is it right, no.

I too have real world experience with real world expectations. To begin with, I shouldn't have to fix anything on a new product, whether it is a boat, car, computer, lawnmower, etc., and I shouldn't have to 'accept' that that is just the way it is. Mass production has nothing to do with it. If the workers on the line do their job, things will be right, if they get sloppy or lazy, things won't be right. That's one of the good things about mass production, each person has a small part of the whole, and as long as they do that part correctly, the whole will be correct. Mass production is not the cause of shoddy workmanship

And tritonglenn, go back and read all my posts in this thread....I never asked for help. I simply mentioned I also had a long laundry list for them to fix, and someone asked me to post it. Once I did, they started in on why I am not being realistic.

All I did was post what someone asked for. I never asked for help or advice on what to do about them.

Sadly, I get the feeling I am being told "its normal for a boat, deal with it"

That to me is unacceptable.

BTW, Tracker told me it was 1" low after they fixed the seat.

And if you read further, this is a list of all the problems that have shown up, NOT a list of unresolved issues. I list which ones are fixed, but I didn't tell which ones were fixed before delivery or after, so why ping on me about what I did or didn't do at delivery ?

Funny, that was exactly the answer I expected.

I joined this site hoping to find help when needed, and maybe to help someone else if I had the same problem but got it fixed.

What dissapoints me and aggravates me at the same time is the sheer number of answers I have received from here (NTOWS), solicited or not, in this and other posts, that all have the same tone....that's just the way it is.

Is it really too much to ask for that when you pay hard earned money for a product, to be able to expect the product to be built and function correctly ? What happened to the day when everyone was proud of the work they did, and they did their absolute best to built it correctly, instead of just building it only good enough to get by ?

Trcm,

I dont think you should be content with what you get if there are problems. You absolutly have some issues that you dealer needs to fix for you 100%, there is no doubt about that. You also have some stuff thats listed as "issues" that are in fact not issues but just the way it is like it or not nothing built by human hands is perfect and it never will be. Its not accepting mediocrity as you put it in my opinion. For example.

The helm click, every sea star helm i have ever seen clicks when you first move it from one side to the other. I believe its the no feedback system releasing.

The noisy trolling motor. its a motor guide, they have a reputation for being loud. minkota's are more quiet but not silent at high speed. There moving parts in there that make noise period. Nobody makes a silent one.

The livewell water. Id bet its coming on from the overflow either with you back up or come off plane.

The low speed vibration, ill bet you may have removed one or more of the pvs plugs? I have noticed in the past when you yank just one or two. You are putting more air over one or two blades then the other(s) it makes it vibrate. If you put them all back in i'll bet its much smoother.

The compartment water, i still think its coming thru the keyhole if its as you describe. Those perco locks collect water and when you release the gasket some water will run thru the keyhole. There really isnt much you can do about it, if the water that came thru that hole wasnt allowed to drain your key would not work for very long due to corrosion.

The E brake cable on the actuator may be a design flaw but its really a non issue.

I do have a question on your spare tire. How close is yours to the boat? I have the same deal on mine and while it does indeed sit very close to the boat ithas not got in the way and there is no way the boat could hit it if the trailer is in at the right depth.

After reading Glenns ost i agree with a lot of what he says. If my boat has as many obvious issues that are visible as yours does i never would have taken delivery of the boat. The gel coat issues you mentioned alone would have made me leave it there. Same goes for the traier, the rub rail, the rugging hose, etc. I have refused trucks at the dealership before for similar reasons. Im very picky when it comes to my things, again like i posted before i have seen none of what you are seeing with mine at all.

Sorry if you think we are flaming you, i know im not and i appologise if I come across that way. Were trying to help you understand why some of these things are the way they are and like i sais before some are real problems some are not.

Jim,

The helm issue was explained to me, and I have basically figured out the TM noise will just have to be for now.

The vibe was actually worse when all plugs were in, and now with 2 out, it is still there bu tnot as bad. I've been told by experts that all boats have a resonant frequency, and there's little that can be done about it.

Like I said, this is a list of problems/issues that have been found since day one. Some have been fixed, some will be fixed, and some are just gonna have to be, like the trailer items, I can fix them, but it would void the warranty. If someone asks what I hit to screw up the axle, I'll just tell them the truth..nothing.

I sent this to TMG at their request, and partially as a way to let them know things they need to improve on.

And yes, I have learned to deal with the ebrake cable problem, and since the boat/truck have been disconnected less than 2 weeks since I picked the boat up 3/5/08, it is rarely a problem.

On mine, the tire is 1 1/2" from the hull, and no, I have not hit it yet, but did come close one time due to high wind and current, and it was only the 2nd time I had loaded the boat. Without the spacers I made, the tire could not even be mounted. It may be due to the rims/tires I have, which are the Z9 rims by the way.

Trust me, and I don't mean this in a smart butt way, but I know what they are saying. I have accepted that some of these things are just gonna be this way, no matter how much I like it, and I know some of these things are going to be fixed eventually. What I am trying to say, is that we as people have accepted things 'cuz that's how they are' for so long, instead of holding them accountable for their poor quality control or workmanship, that most companies do as little as possible to get by. If I don't at least tell them the problems and voice my concerns, I am continuing the tradition of "that's how it is".

WHen I build/make something for someone, or do work for them, I do not accept, "that's good enough", and I don't feel anyone else who sells a product should either. Perfection isn't necessary, but doing as little as possible to get by isn't on option in my book.

I use to cut lawns for a side job. Well, any lawn I cut included edging and blowing all the leaves off the driveway and/or sidewalk. Did I charge extra for this, no, but to me, a yard doesn't look complete without these things being done, and I don't want anyone looking at work I did and thinking it is incomplete, because that would mean I didn't the job I was paid for well enough.

I don't expect perfection, but I DO expect it to look like it's perfect.

Example, I can build a doghouse, and while the walls may not be perfectly plumb and square, they will at the very least be close enough that the average observer would think they are.

What jumped my tracks was being told, based on the list, that I was being unrealistic. No one ever thought to ask or consider that this list may not be items I expect to be fixed (altho they all should be). They just assumed. Just like I never asked for hlep with them, but the assumption was made and advice was given based on this assumption (not that the advice itself was bad, but they tone with which it was given wasn't so good).

I have 5 lists actually. 1) this one, a total list of all problems found to date 2) list of the things that I don't expect them to fix 3) list of items they have fixed 4) list of items I have fixed 5) list of dates and times the rig has spent in their shop.

There were a lot of circumstances that came into play @ delivery, but basically, I was told to make a list of the things I didn't like, and they would fix them. The gelcoat bubbles weren't even found until I washed the boat the first time. MY only fault in this is I believed them when they told me they would gladly fix any issue, no matter how small.<scr

Mark,

Come see me at BPS Hampton when I am doing a show there. I'd really like to meet you and we can go over to the Tracker/NITRO boats and see what we can find wrong with the ones on the showroom floor. Nobody "flamed" you. Everybody is trying to help you and you choose to refute common/collective advise from knowlegeable boat owners, that's your choice. Fight the good fight and at the end of the day it's my prediction you will ultimately get the issues that we have identified as Tracker problems fixed, and they will respectfully tell you to go away on the rest. You compare a lot of the things that you do or you build to your boat. "You" my friend are a perfectionist which is an admirable trait lost to many nowadays. To use your doghouse example....try making 500 doghouses a day and not 1. That is mass production and out of those 500 I promise you some are not going to be right. Bottom line....in mass production price drives quality...always has always will....you should have plunked down the extra cash and bought a Ranger, better yet a STORM or other high end boat. They charge in their base price for increased customer service. Do they make that much better of a boat....yes/no but they charge the many to handle the problems of the few and I can guarantee you this...some will have problems. I never contridicted myself. I made my point perfectly clear, let me re-state it in a different way....Nobody likes shoddy workmanship, nobody should accept shoddy workmanship, but you have to be reasonable and find the balance between price and quality. No, you never asked for advise but when you posted your list it was obvious that you were a tad unreasonable, a fact that was repeated by some that are much more knowledegable in the boat arena than me.

We could volley the issue back and forth forever because you are not going to change your position and neither are we/I which is fine. In the end we will be happy and fishing with a product that we are satisfied with, and you will be continually frustrated with a product that didn't meet your expectations. I am sorry. I say that because if I had your boat, I would expect the things to get fixed that I listed, Tracker would fix the things I listed because it is reasonable and I would be happy. I hope you get satisfaction with your rig and I would venture a guess so does Tracker.

Peace-out.

TOXIC

Scott,

To address a few things in your recent post...

1) I'm sure some of the doghouses would have problems, but that is what quality control is for. You find a problem doghouse, and it either gets fixed, or scrapped, not sold to the buyer with hopes they will not notice the problem. BTW, it'd be physically impossible for me to make that many doghouses in a week, much less a day...:D

2) Again, that list is a comprehensive itemization of problems noted, and not necessarily problems I really expect to get fixed. The big items yall agree I should have fixed are the big items to me as well, and the main ones I expect to be repaired. They are all things that SHOULD have been fixed prior to me even seeing the boat, but as I mentioned before, TMG corporate requested a complete list of any thing I thought was wrong and why.

3) When will you be in Hampton next ? I'll try and get by to meet you and may even bring the boat to show you some of these things.

Honestly, I am not an a-hole as some here may now think. I did probably take some of the replies in a less than desireable light, and I did get ticked off at some of them, since I was simply following your request to post the list. I do expect a quality product for my money, and sadly, there are a lot of little things that slipped thru the system that make me feel this boat isn't the quality rig it was purported to be. As I'm sure you realize, you can have a product/car/truck/boat that is mechanically sound and does work, but if everything else is built like crap (electrical/paint/trim/interior/etc), you will not feel it is such a good deal. That is where I sit right now. Love the boat for fishing and such, but I feel as if this boat was put together by someone with very little experience. I KNOW for a fact that that was part of the issue with the rigging here locally. Or at least that is what the senior mechanic/rigger here told me.

The big thing now, is getting the boat in for work. They can't seem to give me a decent time frame for repairs, and I can't afford to just let the boat sit there until they can get to it. The last time I took it in, they said it would be there a day (drop it off monday, pick it up early wednesday), but it was 5 days later before it was ready (drop off monday, pick up saturday late). Hunting season is coming up tho, and I guess I will have more time to let it sit there.

BTW, I have never liked Rangers, and I really wanted a ProCraft, as I was very impressed with one a friend of mine bought back in 91, but when I saw they were also made by TMG now, I figured I may as well go with the Nitro because they are right here in town, and not 60+ miles away. Most of the other brands were out of the range I was comfortable with money wise, and I'm not really into a boat that is built more for speed than function fishing wise.

Seriously, I would like to meet you, as long as you don't take a swing at me when you hear who I am.......:rolleyes:

Good response!! We finally got on a page close to each other. Glad to hear it. I look forward to meeting you and maybe even wetting a line. Keep the winter open for some of our get togethers on the hot-side of Lake Anna, nothing like fishing topwaters in December:lol: It's a bit of a drive for you but believe me when I say it's worth it!! I'll be at the store for the Fall Classic for sure and probably some other events as well. Being pro-staff, they work me like a rented mule!!......because I am:lol:

TOXIC

Email me with the dates/times you will be there once you know. Anna is a good drive (not even sure where it is other than in VA), but I drive 90 minutes to fish anywhere around here anyway.......

And as for being on the same page, I have a feeling we have been all along, but I probably didn't use the right words when expressing myself or maybe didn't fully explain my intentions. Being ticked off somewhat didn't help either.

I guess it's just one of my pet peeves, but quality shouldn't be something you hope for, it should be something you get.

I mean if I pay 5 bucks for something at walmart that is 20 bucks everywhere else, I'd expect lacking quality, but when spending upwards of 30 grand, there is no room for error in my book. Again, not expecting to actually be perfect, but expecting to to look perfect enough so I don't have to defend my choice.

Yeah, I've been called a perfectionist in the past, but while I may seem like someone who tears something apart when I am not pleased, I am also someone goes the extra mile to promote someone or something when I am pleased. I have nothing but praise for the sales team here in Hampton, but the service dept, well, that's another whole issue in and of itself for reasons I won't go into here (and the list is not really one of them). The only reason I wouldn't recommend buying a Nitro here, IS the service department.

And while the boat isn't a speed demon, my 14 yr old daughter just loves riding in it, especially when the throttle is down (boat has done 62 mph with 2 in it), so that's a plus as well.

LOL, you guys have too much available time on your hands.

Have a good one.

Mike Gershberg

Bass Pro Shops "Pro Staff"

Royal Palm Bassmasters President

Latest posts

Back