Pflueger rod

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VA Chris

Reaction score
looking for opinions: Gander Mt has Pflueger President bait cast rods on sale for half price $25.Obviously, these are not super high quality rods, at least not based on the normal price of $50, but I decided to give one a go. I am impressed with the lightness and and overall feel thus far. Has anyone else tried one of these? Yes, I know there are much better rods out there so please dont reply with "I buy nothing but St.Croix". I have always stayed away from Plueger and relatively low priced rods but this one seems pretty good for the price point.

I've always liked them! Also, you don't feel nearly as bad when you do something like slam a rod locker on the tip (not that I've ever done that). :lol:

You dont NEED a $300 rod to catch fish. I have been saying that for years.....if you Like it thats all that counts! Certain techniques it helps....

I laugh at the musky casters up here that swear by St Croix or any other high dollar super sensitive rod.....I tell em "I have never seen a musky finesse bite!"

Va Chris, I have used them and they are great for the price. Now take that with a grain of salt, maybe a large granule. I usually use Cherrywoods. I have just grown accustomed to them and they are cheap. As long as I can still catch fish and cash checks I have never had a reason to change!!!!!!

Many of my friends fish with St Croix, All Stars, G Loomis etc. and I always have one thing to say to them when they make comments about my aluminum boat (TV-18), my cheaper rods and reels and home made lures, "Did you pay your entry fee?"

Randy!

Nice one Randy. Thanks for the replys so far,I am seriously considering going back to Gander and picking up a couple more I was just worried I would hear some horror stories about crummy quality or rods snapping in two on the hook set. You guys might want to swing by Gander to check them out if you have a store near by.

buy 2-3 for that price,.....keep'em as spares or "knock-about" rods for the kids!!!

I don't know about the rods, but I have two of the President spinning reels and I love them. If the rods are as good as the reels, I'd buy a few at $25.00 a piece.

Chris,

I look at it this way. At $25 each, you can buy 4 for less than the cost of the "big boy" rods. Then, you can slam the tip of one in the rod locker, step on another one because the front deck is too crowded, and still have 2 left! :lol: Like Jim in VA said, "not that I have ever done that!"

You can nit pick the $25 rod to death in a strict ISO 9000 comparison with higher priced rods, but the fact of the matter is the fish don't know and a $25 rod can't get it done. I have 3 or 4 $25 Cabelas rods in the boat; these rods are probably similar to the ones you're talking about and very well could be made by the same guy ... "this one for Pflueger, this one for Cabelas, this one for ... ." Quite often I realize that I just spent the day fishing with my $25 rods all day. The rods I took on my once in a lifetime fly-in to Canada ... Ugly Stiks ... go figure. One bit of advice I offer ... always make sure you get the pick of the litter from the $25 bin.

Mini: You probably don't have the "feel" to realize that you've been finessed by a Muskie ...:lol::lol::lol:

Thanks again, apparently there are quite a few guys of the same opinion in the Winchester area. I went back to Gander last night and what once was 50 rods is now down to 7 or 8. I picked up the last 2 MH,fast action,6 footers (would have preferred 6'6") but I am not complaining. What was left were 7'and 7'2" MH, fast. Maybe I should have given those a try but I just cant seem to get used to a rod that long.

Marty,

There is no finesse when musky are invloved on Lake St Clair!

And you would not believe the rods being made in the same factory in China that employs almost 30,000 people......I havent been there, but I have met with the reps in Houston and have seen pictures of the factory.

The customer list is LONG!

Okay then, "these 10,000 one for Pflueger, these 10,000 for Cabelas, these 10,000 for ... ." ... :lol::wacko::lol::wacko::lol:

I thought a Muskie finesse bite was anything prior to the Figure 8.

Latest posts

Back