Pflueger President cranking reel (conversion)

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TritonGlenn

Reaction score
Last year, I got a Pflueger President Wide-Spool (WLP) version as one of my reels to try out (6.3:1 gear ratio). I like it, but don't use it near as much as my regular Presidents. Looking at it today in my rod rack, sitting right beside my Trion LPCR (cranking version of the Trion - 5.2:1 gear ratio), an idea popped into my head... "Convert the President into a cranking reel".

Now, to understand this reasoning a bit more - I'll start by saying that Pflueger currently doesn't offer a high-end cranking reel (5.2:1) in anything other than the Trion. They offer a 5.1:1 reel in the Criterion, a lower priced offering with a graphite frame, but nothing in the President, Summit, Supreme, Patriarch, or Asaro models, which are all the other aluminum frame models in Pfluegers line.

Well, after a bit of tinkering, spec checking, etc.... I changed over three components from my Trion LPCR to the President WLP, and VOILA!... a President LPCR!

The three components are the worm gear, main drive gear, and pinion gear. I verified that the spool turns a hair over 5 times to each turn of the handle - approximately 5.2:1 times vice the original 6.3:1 times. Then I took it across the street to a little lake I have and cast it several dozen times. Everything seems to work just fine, and I can tell a difference in the speed of the lure being retrieved.

I'm going to test it quite a bit more to ensure everything works as it should, but I think I figured out how to build the very first President cranking version. :lol:

All the best,

Glenn

Years ago we used to do that to the old green Curados and Citicas. Originally the Curados were just 6.2:1, but a Citica would drop it down to 5.1:1 just by changing out the similar parts. A few years later Shimano was doing out of the box. Maybe Pfleuger will follow and give you a nickle royalty a box for spurring it on? That would add up quick! :rolleyes::D

Latest posts

Back