Pflueger president baitcasting reel

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Welc

Reaction score
Dumb question. I decided to try a baitcasting reel again (last time was 10 years ago). I purchased a pflueger president reel. My question is about the braking system, once I take the side plate off there is 6 pins that have a removable plastic piece over the pins. Once I have the pins set to my needs, am I supposed to take all of the plastic pieces off and store them? I set the pins to 4 out and 2 in and those darn plastic pieces keep sliding off the pins. I would guess the Shimano reels are the same? Thanks for the help.

Those internal braking systems are a total PIA!!!:angry:

Get a new JLM Signature reel next time,...it has the external "dial" braking system which is much easier to use plus it has the 10 bearings, making it a helluva reel for the price. ;)

(Even the new Pro Qualifiers have the External Dial Brake....and they have 8 bearings!!)

NIIICE stuff!!

Mac

I wonder if I need to put a little super glue on each plastic piece?

I was a little suspect when the reel came with 4 extra plastic pieces in a zip lock. So far I love the reel and it's the only downside I have found.

In the past, I've done some surveys on what types and how many reels the members of this board own. I don't have the figures right here at hand, but I seem to remember that 1/2 of all the reels we owned were Shimano! That has got to tell ya sumpthin'! ;)

Mac,

The JLM Signature comes with a dual braking system. It has a cetrifugal (sp?) internal brake and a magnetic external, Dial, brake. I set my internal to what they suggested and locked down 4 shoes and the other two in the on position. AND now I'm leaving it that way and just am just using the external dial.:)

I remember saying you were going to buy at least one of these reels but didn;t know you did. How do you like them(it)? Did you get a Signature rod to go along with the reel(s)?

I'm still playing with mine, in the pool and from sure on my river, but I love it so far.

Bill

With all due respect to you, Mac, Dan Jorgensen and others who are sponsored or work for BPS.....

As far as I'm concerned, the "mistake" would be to purchase a proprietary product such as the JLM reels and not be able to get parts for them or have them serviced anywhere but BPS. No matter how good they may be, if you have to send them away for service rather than walk down to the corner rod & reel shop, you could be asking for difficulties and frustrations. Especially when you have products available with Shimano's quality and reputation.

Say what ya' will....I have no probs whatsoever on my Curado's.

Neither have I! :)

But.....

I haven't taken them apart to clean them yet either! :lol:

Bill,...I've never had to mess with the internal stuff, I just set the external tension spool on the right side of the reel so the spool stops spinning when the bait hits the floor....then I fine tune it with the external brake, setting the dial to 2-4 depending on the wind (if I'm casting into it). Maybe it's just that I use the baitcasters so much, it's become second nature.....I don't mess with the internal pins....haven't had a reason too.

Mac

Me! well put. All my Shimano reels ( some 15 of them) have all been durable and problem free. I use them hard and they can take it.

All the bps reels i have ever owned(note past tense). well thats another story.........

All of the Plueger reviews I have read on different websites about the President reel are outstanding. I think it's going to be a great reel. I will probably leave the brake at 4 engaged anyway. Just curious why Plueger wouldn't have secured the plastic pieces unless when the pins are engaged (out position) you are supposed to remove the plastic pieces?

Paul...just pull each plastic brake out with a fingernail until u hear a click....just a fraction of an inch.

The plastic things are the brakes and must stay on the pins...DON"T glue them.

Leave 2 in and click 4 out....make sure the 4 out are opposite of each other.

RW

Guess I must be unusually "lucky" then......of ALL the BPS reels I've owned over the past 6 yrs (30-40 reels atleast!!),...I've never had a failure yet, that req'd repair or return .....and I use the hell out of them....JLM's and PQ's ROCK!!

Whoa Mac! I've had not one but ,two PQ rods snap in half on me....one I did get hung up pretty good but, nothing extaordinary. And one broke when I set the hook on none other than a 4 lb. smally(which by the way I did manage to get in).

Also one baitcast reel I had to take back....just squealed loud one time and locked up:(

Now that's just the PQ...I don't own a JM reel:rolleyes:

Geez, Mac.....

That's 5 or 6 new reels every year! .....at least!! :eek:

With the short Michigan fishing season.....

No wonder they never where out on you! :lol::lol::lol:

Tee...I'm talkin' REELS....not Rods......but then again..I've never broken a BPS rod either!!:lol:

me!,...I'm allowed MORE than that,....but I just order what I need,...not necessarily what I'm entitled too!! One name you CAN'T call me is "greedy!";)

Paul,

The President should have come with all 6 of the brakes already in the out (on) position. If you look really closely at the light gray plastic piece behind the brake collars, you will see a little notch really close the the center of the spool. If you push the brake collars to the center of the spool, you will hear them click into place, locked down, and then they cannot move. That is the "off" position for them. If they are above that little notch, they are "on". The red plastic pieces keep the brakes from coming completely off the pins, but when the spool spins at too high of a rate of speed (such as right when you are backlashing), the spring loaded red pieces move up, allowing the brake collars to move out towards the brake race on the side cover of the reel. Shimano uses a system that is similar (Shimano's had this system a long time before Pflueger used it), but they do not use the spring loaded red pieces. I think Pflueger was trying to improve on the Shimano design. The Shimano's have another notch towards the top that keeps the brake from coming completely off. Pflueger uses a identical system on their 4 pin system Trion round reels. I wish they would use it on these reels too. The Pflueger system isn't bad at all, but I don't think the red spring loaded pieces are neccesary if you have the second notch at the top like Shimano does. On the Pfluegers, it's neccesary though - to keep the pins from coming off the spool when you remove the side cover. Do not glue anything down. That will ruin the reel. The reason they give you extra brake collars is for a few reasons - 1) in case you ever push one too far out (like if the red spring loaded clip allows it to come out and you lose it), and 2) in case the brake collars wear out. I havn't had them wear out yet, but the spares are nice to have in case they do. Brake collars are standard items, so they will always be available. They are pretty much identical to the ones Shimano uses on their reels, but they are lighter than most Shimano brakes. That is why I change 4 of my brakes out on my reels to the 2 red / 2 green setup that I posted about earlier this week - gives me move versitility. I wish I was at home right now. I'd take a picture and email it to you so that you could see what I am talking about. Hopefully, I've explained it in such a way that is comprehendable to most. Kind of difficult to explain without actually showing someone.

me! - Yes, there are several reasons why almost 1/2 of the people use Shimano reels. First and foremost, they make a top quality, excellent product. Secondly, they have been around for a long time. People like them. For the longest time, it was Shimano and Daiwa at the top of most polls, with some loyal Abu / Quantum / Browning / Lews sprinkled in. However, if you really think about it, whether you want to admit it or not, since Pflueger re-entered the bass fishing market a few years ago, they have made HUGE steps in the industry. They are giving the customers what they want. I've seen a lot of reel companies come out with a model of reel that sold well, and it would take them 4,5,6 years to make it in a different gear ratio or a left handed version, if they made it at all. I think Pflueger took ques from the big guys successes and failures, and took care of business in a timely fashion. The Trion low profile reels came out, people bought them like crazy, and within 2 years - different gear ratios and left handed versions were available. Same thing with the President. Excellent selling reel in their first year on the market, and then the very next year - Left handed version. They are gaining market share because they make top quality equipment for a lower price than some of the companies that have been around for a while. I fished with Daiwa for years, and I really liked the magnetic anti-backlash. Problem with Daiwa is that they changed their product line ALL THE TIME, whether it wa

When Pflueger or any company comes out with a better mousetrap.....

The rest of the manufacturers have to step up to the plate if they want to stay in the game.

In the end.....

It is you and I who benefit! :)

(Now, how is it that I spelled "Pflueger" correctly..... But misspelled "stay"? :wacko: )

Thanks for the comments. I will have to look at the reel when I get home as I don't remember seeing any red pieces, just the steel pins with white pieces (brakes?) that slide over the pins. If I push down on the white pieces I do hear the pins click but if I use my fingernail to pull them to the out position the clear pieces slide off, though they are snug enough to stay on the pins if I put them back on. Maybe I'm missing the red pieces that are supposed to keep them from coming off?

Paul..... Something just ocurred to me..... I may be wrong here because it's been a long time since I've made any changes to them..... But I think that on my Abu Garcia Royal Expresses the little plastic thngs have to be taken off the pins - either all the way on or all the way off.

It's not something that you'd do every day because you have to take the entire side plate off and the spool out to do it.

Could be that your reel also has to be all the way on or all the way off..... ?? :huh:

I know when I removed the plastic pieces I could tell the brake was working because with all 6 out the spool barely moved. I pushed 2 of the pins in and left the plastic pieces on those 2 and the spool was loose again. So it seems to work without the plastic pieces on the pins, but I think I'm going to put them back on the pins.

Pflueger and BPS reels are made in the same factory by the same people using the same parts.....you tell me which one is better.

Mini

All o0f my President Reels have the brakes OFF

Nothing can replace a well set up reel and a well trained thumb!!!

MINI, I think they are different this year!!!

Last year they were the same!!!!

Keep it simple!!!!

The Pfluegers have been coming from our plants since before we sold Pflueger to Shakespeare. Just a FYI.

True dat Dan.

It really amazes me how you can have a person bash a BPS reel and praise a Pfluger reel even AFTER you inform them that they are basically the same reel made in the same plant with the same parts by the same people.....lol

Pfleuger stuff is getting better every year, and so is BPS stuff. Shimano and Diawa are too. :)

Mini

It really amazes me how you can have a person bash a BPS reel and praise a Pfluger reel even AFTER you inform them that they are basically the same reel made in the same plant with the same parts by the same people.....lol

Who/what are you talking about, Mini?

I don't see anyone doing that in this thread?

I didnt say it was in this thread. I get it almost everyday that I am in the store, doing a promotion or working a show....

Mini

Gotcha!

I got real curious after reading your's and Dan's posts so I made a call today to Paul's Bait and Tackle here in St. Louis. MOFish can tell you - they are unbelievable in all the stuff that they carry and do. They have got just about every part you've ever wanted for any reel and can repair almost anything.

Anyways..... I called and asked a question that I already knew the answer to: Could they repair a Johnny Morris reel? No, they said I would have to send it back to BPS.

Next I asked if they could repair a Pfluger? No. They said I would have to send it back to Shakespear.

It would seem that BPS/Shakespear have the bases covered so that they and only they get the parts and repair business. Good for them; not necessarily bad for us - but it could make things difficult.

Latest posts

Back