Pedestal seats froze in place

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenny Benoit

Reaction score
I have an 07 189 Sport and the two removable pedestal seats in the rear seating bench are frozen in place. Any advice on getting them freed up?

One of my boats had seats with the 3/4" pins. These rusted in place if not kept clean and lubed. To get them out sometimes a strap wrench as Herndonpro suggested would work, but other times I had to use my 24" channel locks. Once I got the pole rotating I could inject some rust buster. Remember that WD-40 is best at displacing water and not at dissolving rust.

Had a friend once who had the 3/4 inch pole bases stuck. Let it sit outside all winter. Had to use a pipe wrench with a piece of leather belt to get it twisted loose then followed the anti rust instructions. Once they get rusted inside the plate it's hard to keep them from freezing up. Ounce of prevention worth a pound of cure.

fatrap

Also, the plastic inserts in the boat mounts will swell over time gripping the pedestal good and tight. Once you get them out, take some sandpaper or a dremmel and open the hole up just a tad. Then use graphite. I used WD40 and a pipe wrench to get mine out but was told that WD40 will swell the plastic and I'd have the same problem again if I didn't used graphite.

TOXIC

Once you get them freed up and cleaned off use anti-seize on them once a year.

Thanks for all the responses, I often go the ogre approach and end up breaking things so I've been soaking them with WD every weekend for a couple weeks with no results. I was just scared to pry to much. I'll get some rust buster and try to pry them out this weekend

Well, I got one out with a tire iron and some PB Blaster took some work but it freed up. The other however isn't budging. I went as far as using ratchet straps and an oak tree limp, but the whole boat lifted up off the trailer and it didn't move even when I bent the tire iron. I used a rat tail file to open up the first hole a little though so I don't see it getting stuck again. I guess I'll just keep at it.

WOW!! That's one stuck seat!! Park it under a tree and use a come-a-long over a big limb and attached to the post. Other than that you might be cutting it out. Make sure the lock isn't broken from the push pin and not releasing the pedestal.

TOXIC

Yeah Tox, I had a come along on the limp, that's what I hooked the straps to lol. Its one of the rear seats so there's no release pin at all, its designed to just slide out. I have an old A-frame for lifting engines, that's my next step.

Kenny, I just had a similar experience with a 07 288 Sport. I was getting ready to buy the boat and had a independent dealer/shop do a checkout prior to sealing the deal. He found the stuck seats. Seller (also a dealer) agreed to fix it prior to purchase. Took him a week to resolve the issue. They tried everything, spraying, prying, heat and so on - ended up cutting two access holes in the center cooler walls and unbolting the seat mounts from underneath. Replaced all the parts with stainless to prevent it from happening again and then he installed two access plate covers in the cooler. Can't even tell unless you look in the cooler and see the plate covers. Cooler is watertight and everthing works great.

Latest posts

Back