Panfish help

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich D

Reaction score
I need some help. My buddy doesn't fish, but his 3 young sons want to try it and I offered to take them out. I'm going to be hitting a lake with a decent panfish population, but I've never targeted them before and other than hitting some weedy bays, I have no idea where to start. Do you guys have any tips for me? Basically I'm planning on hook and bobber fishing with redworms or night crawlers.

Thanks for the help!
Rich D

Get a good mini-cast closed face, slip bobber, weight, hook for the size of pan fish, and small curly tail plastic. I run the curly tail so that it sets horizontal when placed on the hook and weed less. A good bottle of fish attractant, work with depth, dip the curly tail often, jiggle a couple of times, if no strike, reel in and recast. Hit banks and structure. My wife loves to bobber fish and this way I do not have worms, dirt in the boat and I am not constantly baiting the hook.
Let me know how you make out. I use white, chartreuse, black, tomato and pink.

cq

Last edited:
can't go wrong with redworms and crickets, small bobbers/corks is the way to go. This time of the year, bigger panfish are deep in holes. I usually just troll around until I smell them. Obvious fishy smell, then I figure out which way is the breeze and what current there is to determine where they are unless I see them on the Humminbird (mass of fish, looks like baitfish). Big panfish love minnows too and put up a big fight on light tackle, way too much fun :)

Thanks for the tips everyone. The boys had a good time!

Attachments

• first bass.jpg
    first bass.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 218
what NO PICS of them having fun - SHAME on you :(:D. I'm dying to go out myself SOON.

I uploaded a pic! It's on my previous response!

Yep, happier than a pig in a mud pit - but noticed he wasn't gonna hold that bass was he :D

Latest posts

Back