painting-----waterline

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris Phillips

Reaction score
More of a painting question. I have a few small fiberglass repairs to do next Spring and I was thinking of repainting anyway because of the ugly green color on most of my boat. I was planning on using the Dupont Marine line---Corlar sandable EPOXY primer, MS600 or MS100 base and MS1 clear. My question is: where exactly is the waterline? This paint system is for above the waterline. Is it ok to use anywhere above the factory bottom paint line, or can I only use it above the rubrail?????? I have painted plenty of

cars and done tons of body work but have never had "waterline" limits. The boat does not stay in the water, stays on trailer. Dupont Marine is polyurethane. As always all info, opinions, and answers are greatly appreciated.

Your boat was not originally painted as I'm sure you know. It is a gelcoat/clearcoat combination. Even in the solid colored ares with no flake, like the hull. I'm not a fiberglass guy but I would assume if you wanted to paint your rig there would be a ton of prep work like removing the clear coat (or roughing it up) to get a good adhesion. Very big and complicated job but if your choice of paint is limited to above the waterline, you might as well just do the top cap above the rubrail because anywhere below that is subject to constant water. I would strongly suggest you ask this question over on Bass Boat Central since they have a boat restoration forum. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back