Painting a plastic fender

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Cail

Reaction score
K .......a bunch of dumb questions here. I bought an aftermarket fender (plastic),Primed it, and painted a couple of top coats. It wont stick worth a dam. So now i have a few coats of crap that need to be taken off. What do i do ? ant help would be appreciated.

Scott

Get some paint stripper (make sure it is okay for plastic - Google KleanStrip and/or Smart Strip) and get it back to pre-primed condition. You need to rough the exterior before priming and painting. I'd start with 1600 fine grit to give some pores for the primer to grab. After that the paint should stick to your primer. Good luck! ;)

I work on aircraft and once when painting a plastic part I had to buy a special additive to mix in with the paint to allow flexibility. I know the paint must be flexible or it will never stick. No problem when painting fiberglass but plastic is a different animal. Hopefully someone with more expertise will chime in. Good Luck

Try KRYLON brand paint,.....it works GREAT on plastic deck furniture,...might work just as well on fenders...

I'm pretty sure DuPont makes a paint for polyurethene(plastic)bumpers and it should be available at your O'Reilly or NAPA or Advance Auto Parts. Like DanJ. said, rough ift up a little with paper or fine grit ScotchBrite (also available at parts stores)to give it something to grab a hold of.

Latest posts

Back