Owners Manual and trolling motor batteries

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Moore

Reaction score
Any ideas on where to find an owner's manual for a 2005 Sport 189? Among other things, I'm trying to find out if the trolling motor batteries are charged via the boats electrical system or do I have to charge them after each use.

Thanks for whatever help is offered.

If it is a straight factory set up, the electrical system only charges the cranking battery. Other people on the site no way more than me but I have not seen one that charges the trolling batteries unless it has an aftermarket add on system designed to do this. Either way charging after each use if preferred and if you don't have an on board charger it is a wise investment. They are plug up and forget systems. Charges and maintains your batteries without you having to monitor it. Hope this helps.

I appreciate the reply. It does appear to be a straight factory setup, although without an owners manual or a wiring diagram it is impossible to tell. I installed an on-board charger for the trolling motors on my last boat and intend to do the same on the Nitro once I am certain there is not a conflict. On my old boat, the installation of the on-board charger involved running the black and red wires from the charger to the trolling motor batteries. Since no such wires exist on the Nitro batteries, I'm guessing I do have to charge them independently from the Nitro's charging system. Just wish I had a manual or at least a wiring diagram to confirm.

Thanks

Yes, you'll need a seperate charger for the trolling motor batteries. You can buy a charger with an additional bank for the cranking battery. This isn't aways necessary, but if you use your electronics and pumps alot and don't run the outboard much during the day it is a good way to assure that your cranking battery gets a full charge.

Steve

Jim if you want to confirm that the outboard motor is only charging the cranking battery, put some muffs on the outboard and crank her up. Take a volt meter and check voltage on the trolling batteries. That will tell you proof positive what you have:)

Get a 3 bank charger for a 24v TM setup or a 4 bank for a 36. Put the starting battery in the mix. You'll be glad you did. Also get a GUEST charger. Little more pricey but worth it.

Latest posts

Back