Our greg meyer?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Munaretto

Reaction score
One Big Walleye Makes All the Difference

By Steve Weisman

GNWC Publiciy Director

Knowing that one big walleye could make the difference at Saturday's (April 26) Fox Chain of Lakes qualifier, the team of John Mannerino of Chicago, IL and Greg Meyer of Elgin, IL connected big time and their 6.59 pounder won the Grand National Walleye Cup's first place prize of $1200.

According to GNWC Executive Director Bernie Barringer, Mannerino and Meyer took a big gamble, and it definitely paid off. "They swung for the home run," said Barringer. "They were the only team that stuck with a trolling bite. They used a #7 Fire Tiger Shad Rap to catch their winning fish."

In addition to winning the tournament, they also won the Abu Garcia Big Fish Award of two ABU Garcia 6500 Linecounter reels. Second place and a check for $600 went to the team of Ted Beskow from Spring Grove, Il and Ed Schuld from Genoa City, IL with four walleyes weighing 6.14 pounds.

Meanwhile, Bob Schine from Crystal Lake, IL and Jasen Schine from Lake Villa, IL took home both the third place check for $350 and the Berkley Family Angler Award worth $250 in Berkley product. Their four fish weighed 5.74 pounds.

With a weight of 5.22 pounds, Jeff Miller from Fox Lake and Dave Zurawski from Plainfield, IL captured fourth place and a check for $300.

Fifth place and a check for $200 went to Robert Galledora from Lakemoor, IL and Kevin Wilhelm from Spring Grove, IL.

"We had great weather and the teams worked hard trying to get a pattern established. Except for the first place team

Wow..

Where did you find that? Ultimately, John and I went on to finish 3rd at the State Tournament in July... again with only one legal fish... That is a story in itself... The lake had risen four and 1/2 feet in two nights and was coming down as fast.... In two days... only seven legal fish were caught...

Another celebrity in our midst! Good job Greg!

My Father said it best... "Even a blind pig can find an acorn now and then..."LOL

Greg

I've always had one question about walleye tournaments. Do you get to eat the walleyes when your done? God made walleyes for eating and it would be shameful to go against his wishes.LOL

fatrap

fatrap

Fatrap - Didn't as some point in the past, Bass tournaments have bass fish frys at the end? I wonder the same about Walleye - mmmmmmm good!

Greg - Different question - Why is trolling and live bait allowed for walleye's but NOT for bass? I've always wondered that - anyone??

Trep

I was watch Ray Scott years ago and he was talking about the early years. I believe the first tournament the fish were fried and given to a charity.

fatrap

Trep..

Biggest reason... we want to catch some fish! Although Bass do repsond much better to artificials than walleye... Walleyes are being caught on artifiacials more than ever and usually trolling is with stick baits or shad baits(Rapalas or Shad Raps) My last tournament win was with "zip" lures...!!! As a matter of fact... After "finding" them "again" (always used Cotton Cordel Gay Blades in the 80's for whites and sauger) I am convinced that "zip" lures are the real thing not just an infomercial getcher money gimmick... I have my custom lure painter doing up about $250 worth of them for 2004!

Latest posts

Back