Optimax vs. Fourstoke Tracker 175txw?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Cujak

Reaction score
Looking for Opinions about a 75 Optimax vs. 60 Fourstoke for a New Tracker Pro Team 175 txw

1. Is the fourstroke more reliable than optimax?

2. Easier to maintain and run? Optimax better fuel economy?

3. What about 75 fourstroke? I don't know if it is available from Tracker.

Just weekend fishing trips. Not looking for speed, just want enough HP and fuel economy with a reliable motor.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank You!

You can troll with a four stroke without loading up the engine. Both are very reliable motors. You'll gain quite a bit more speed with the opti.

Does the optimal have an oil reseroir or do you have to mix the oil and fuel?

Any running problems with your optimax?

The optimax will give you more low end torque, a better hole shot. After that it really is personal choice. You'll find a lot of people in both camps. Let us know how you make out.

Thanks Chuck! I'll keep you updated.

I guess I am leaning toward the fourstroke. I have read that you should get the biggest motor you can afford or the biggest rated for your boat for performance and fuel economy. I am buying for the long term and want to make the right choice so I'm not buying another motor in a year or two. Plus, my credit union is offering a smoking 1.97% rate right now, so cost is not that big of a deal.

Growing up I knew 2-strokes were a little more problematic than four strokes, but with the newer motors I am hearing the playing field has leveled. I just have to make up my mind I guess.

Thanks for everyone's input!

I under powered a boat once to save money and was stuck with it for four years.:eek:

Never again!

Definitely try to get as close to the max hp as you can.

It depends in part on the load inside the boat. If you plan on having 3-4 225 lb. people in the boat it will sit lower in the water and need more HP to move at any speed. 60HP is the bare minimum and for trolling you have the electric trolling motor or if that is not enough get a 10HP kicker.

I have the 60hp on a 175TF. Works great. Very good for low speed trolling. My top end is about 32 mph.

One thing to keep in mind is the 75 optimax is a 1.5L engine which weighs 375 lbs vs the 60hp which is 1.0L and weighs 250 lbs.

One other thing to consider is the noise level. I have a 90 4 stroke on PG V-16 (largest size rated) and it is very quiet. Nice when you can talk to the person next to you going WOT.

Latest posts

Back