opinions on new 640lx w/90hp

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan huff

Reaction score
thinking of buying new 640 with 90hp,its what i can afford and its the style of boat i like for the money,so what can i expect performance wise with a 90 and are there any options you would consider must haves besides a spare tire?

has anyone had any major problems with this boat

thanks

I have a 04' 640LX / 05' 75 Opti combo. I upgraded the trolling motor, locators, batteries, and charger at purchace time. After I added SC1000 monitor. My only regret is not getting the 90 Opti. It's a very fun light rig that can get airborne quick in rough water so be carefull. Mine runs 42-43 mph gps @ 5500-5600 rpm with 2 people and 45-46 mph gps @ 5700-5800 rpm by myself all day long. I'm sure with the right set-up the 90 will get 50 mph. If you get 1 go with a 22" Laser II prop. I went through 4 props to find the best for this small combo and ended up with a worked 20" Laser II 4" below the pad for my 75 Opti. Make sure you go Opti and not 4-stroke.

I have a 1998 640LX and have had it now for 2 months. Been out every weekend with it and love it. I have the 90HP on it and it is great. Have the standard 40# motor on the front and just the standard options. Have had it aiborne many times and nose dived it too. The boat handles well. Have had it at 51.8 MPH on the GPS with just me in it and 46 MPH with two people, full tank of gas and the live well full. Had to also go with this boat due to the great used price I got, size to fit in the garage and tow weight. Welcome to the Nitro group.:)

i've got a 98 640 w/90hp. runs great and have alot of fun in it.runs around 45-46 mph with 2 people, tackle and full tank and stock prop. Dan Nevill what prop are you running with.

Steve ><}}}}'>

Craig or anyone else who's either at Tracker/Nitro or knows, given the website and brochure's only offer the 60 Opti and 60 4-stroke as options on the 640lx, does anyone know if tracker will order/sell/ship with the 90 Opti or 90 4-stroke this year??

My gut feel is they won't (like Mike had to order his 189 Sport with a 150 and have his local dealer order/swap/price a 200hp as Tracker would not order it with the max HP on that boat) let you order with the 90's is as they want you if you want more speed to up buy to the nx750 or the 482. You can also not (via online or the cataloge) price/order the nx750 with the 135 or 115 opti, for the same reason's I think.

Yes you can still get up to a 90. The hulls are shipped rigged with only a Merc harness, controls and steering. The reason I was bashing the 4-stroke is, I have a tree hugger friend with a 75 Merc 4-stroke on a 640. My 640 with 75 Opti is 3 mph gps faster on top end and has way better hols shot than his 4-stroke.

Steve,

I am running a 21p Michigan prop. I'm getting top speed at 5200RPM with the prop. The last ower (original) said he tried several props and this one was the best for hole shot and top end even though I'm not at top RPM. I also have no jack plate. Hope this helps.

the website has been updated for 2006 to include a two stroke 90hp

Dan - I see the added the 90 2 stroke back on the website now, I need to talk to Deep Boat (my super secrete inside IT guy at Tracker) and find out if it is right, because I thought in 2006 all Tracker/Mercury were selling were the 90 Opti and 90 4 stroke, not the ELPTO - I'll find out.

A buddy and me won a 2000 640 with a 60hp one year he bought my half nd still ownes it he put a 4 stroke 90hp on it. hole shots s*** but it does cruise good and the gas mileage is great. Tracker told him they would not take it four a trade in because it has a 4 stroke on it.

Something about the weight and performance??? I will get with him and find out the exact reason.

What is the difference between the 90 ELPTO and 90 Opti? My understanding is that the ELPTO is older, less efficient technology. My dealer steered me away from the "special" on the ELPTO in favor of the four stroke. Anyone have a strong point of view on the two???

Thanks,

gfish

If it's a 2 stroke that is not an Optimax, it must be a left over.

ELPTO is a carborated motor, the Opti is a direct fuel injection system that is more fuel efficient then carb's or EFI, its also more environmentaly freindly then the ELPTO (Electric Power Tilt/trim Oil injected).

The 90 4 strokes are heavier then the Opti, and the Opti is heavier then the ELPTO. If it was my choice i'd go with the old fashioned ELPTO unless the Opti was very close in price. On that rig unless you are making 100 mile runs each trip, I don't think you'd see the fuel savings for a while, and the ELPTO is proven easy to repair/cheaper to repair in the future.

Just my 2 cents, as a non mechanic!!

What I said was -- If they are selling a 2 stroke other than an Optimax, (which I know is a 2 stroke), It has to be a left over from a previous year as Merc has discontinued all other 2 strokes besides the Optimax..

Latest posts

Back