Opinions on best baitcaster for under $100.00

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Foster

Reaction score
If you could only spend $100.00 on a reel, Which would it be, And why.

Thanks

John

John -

When we were all in Springfield last April, (You were there - I have a picture to prove it!) Rich introduced me to BPS's Mega Plus baitcaster....... I had always used the Abu Garcia's and BPS's version called the Royal Express before......... I was - and still am - at the smoothness of this little $40 reel! Try one - you'll like it!

me!

(AND, it's available in left-hand crank! I'm right-handed but all those years of using spinning equipment before they started making it so you could switch the sides of the handle make it impossible for me to crank with my right hand!)

That shoulda been: "I was - and still am - AMAZED at the smoothness of this little $40 reel!"

Scott, I love that reel.

John, I think the Pflueger Summit is an incedibly underrated reel. Normally $79.99 at BPS, every once in a while you can catch them for $59.99. For the same money, are very few reels that are as smooth or silent. The drag isn't quite as smooth as a Shimano, but it's still very good. The Pflueger Supreme is $20 more for one extra ball bearing (5 vs. 4), but I can't tell the difference so I stick with the Summit.

http://www.basspro-shops.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=36933&hvarTarget=search

John,

Do a little time on e-bay and you can find deals on new shimano curados for $90-$95. Top notch reel but a little pricey at the local tackle/Basspro store!

Tom

even the cheaper reels feel smooth when they are new. even with good cleaning and lubing they can start getting sloppy. the ones mentioned above are all great for the price. i use all quantum myself and you should pay at least 90.00 or up if you buy quantum and fish hard and want to get 3 or 4 seasons out of them. i've had my problems with the cheaper quantums. thanks. stan

also when i started using baitcasters i picked quantum.all the top brands are good. i just happened to pick this brand. like most brands a lot of the parts are interchangeable. so when i replace or add to my arsonal i have extra parts. and the simularity of them makes them more comfortable and easy to use. thanks stan

I wouldn't buy a BPS baitcaster. I have had two and both of the drags burned out in just a month of fishing. I use Abu Garcia 5500,6500 C4 for Musky fishing and have never had a problem with them.

Geez, Rich...... I love mine, too....... Guess we'd better start catchin' something bigger'n bluegill and crappies so we can get our drags burned out 'n start to hate the ones we love!

me!

Thanks everybody. I am leaning towards the Abu Garcia 4600 C3 or C4. Reel is going to be used for Pitching/Flipping. So Tough as nails is pretty important. And since my hands are not small. The added size of the round reel is not a factor.

Now the hard part, Convincing the wife that a really "Need" this reel..:eek:)

Thanks again

John, my good Friend......

I would hate to see the carnage should Stacey not, quite agree with your "needs"........ I would hate to imagine the buckets of tears that a guy your size could produce while on his knees begging for a new toy........ I don't want Susan to have to ask "Mommy, why is Daddy laying on the floor, curled up in a ball, behind the bed, moaning, groaning, crying and pulling his hair out? I don't want his head to look like Scottie's."

So........ I happen to have a Royal Express (6.3:1 ratio)version of the 4600 sittin' here that has been without a rod ever since Rich forced my to buy that little Mega Plus........

I don't have your new address. Send it to me or call me at work: 800-827-7695........ The reel is yours!

God bless!

me!

Scott,You are the Bomb. As the guys I work with say..:eek:)

You sure you want to let go of that reel. You could always buy a Rod for it.??

John -

I got more rods and reels than any two (maybe three) boys could use...... If I ever REALLY need another for some special event (Like for instance, if I someday get that fishin' date with Penny and I want to show up with several arm-loads of equipment just as if I were a REAL Pro - like Mac or Mini or Gutz - just to impress her....) then I'll just simply ask if I can borrow it back! (WITH a rod attached, of course!)

Now cut it out and send me yer gosh darn new address before I change my mind!

me!

John...... It'll go out tomorrow!

TrepMan....... You see, Michael....... It's kinda like this.......... There is simply No Way anyone can win a "No-Holds-Barred" wrastlin' match with a Wookie........ The best you can hope for - and I do mean the Very Best - is to survive........ Now...... This is gonna be a semi-tag match - the tag-team of you and I against (shudder!) "Him"........ To win, he only has to pin (ouch!) one of us........ I figured a small bribe might help....... Food is Always a good bribe.......... But TOYS is MUCH BETTER!

Sorry, Michael........

me!

And a P.S. to everyone else......... It's the little things in life - like this picture John sent to me of his daughter, Susan, that make life worthwhile!

God Bless!
HiScott

Oh, yeah....... And the autographed picture of Penny Berryman that Cass got for me!

John,

Remind me the next time we're out for you to to let me borrow that Royal Express to see what kind of damage I can do to the fish! Love to try out different tools (more power!)!

BTW, You forgot to mention how cute Susan is! I still have to meet the "better" 2/3s of your family....HA. We gotta get together soon, guy.....

Tom

Tom -

I have met all three of the Fosters........ Do yourself a favor - get together with them! It's a once in a lifetime treat! This family is the definition of "Love"!

God Bless you guys!

me!

P.S. In the search feature, look in Title for the word "move"; no capitalization, it should be the only posting that appears....... The actual title is "Move over Penny Berryman - I've got a New Heart Throb!"

Hey that's a good looking kid. Sure wish I had one like that..

Hey wait a minute. That is my kid.....:0)

Thanks for posting it Scott. You notice she is still using that Magna Doodle. that's the same one she had when you saw her in St. Louis.

Tom, we will get together soon. Just as soon as my work stops asking for more hours. Nice to be busy, but stinks to give up free time. Got to pay the Mortgage you know.

Latest posts

Back