Opinion on 1998 Nitro Savage 884, 150 Merc EFI

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on this boat for those that have one or have ridden in one?

Durability? Any issues? Wood in the transom? Space and layout OK? Rough water ride? Is the front deck comfortable for two people to pitch off of?

I have a 1990 185TF and am looking to upgrade. Thanks for your thoughts.

JB

Afrifle -

There didn't seem to be many of the 884s out there. Only one that I can think of right off the top of my head owned by the members who frequent the board - Chris Leiting from Iowa. He and John Foster from California fished from it in our first rally at Truman Lake. You may want to try e-mailing them to ask.

From what I remember, Chris was quite happy with the performance. He and John are NOT small people - seems they had plenty of room when they were out fishing. I don't ever remember Chris complaining about anything on the boat and he was a Mercury mechanic.

Good Luck!

me!

The difference from your old hull will be night and day. I have a friend who has one. VERY stable fishing platform for an 18 footer and very quick with the 150 as well. Lots of room and a good rough water ride for an 18 footer. It doesn't ride like a 20 because it's not one. The only thing that concerned me was that at over 60 mph, it chined walked pretty bad and got squirrely. I have heard this of a couple of 882's and 884's. I suspect if properly set up, it would minimize it.

I have enjoyed my 97 Nitro Savage 884 since day 1.. 73 on lower level lakes.. 68 with Myself and a partner with all our gear.. A 92 inch beam on a 18 footer makes it feel a lot bigger. Does real well on choppy water. To ans your Q on 2 people Pitchin and Flippin from the front. Depends on the 2 people.. A friend of mine from W.Va and I did great when we needed to fish from the front. If it is setup correctly, the hole shot is unreal.. A 20 footer would be nice but I was looking for something that would fit in my Garage.. Maybe when I build a new Home and have added my 40x40 Garage/Workshop :) I will go with a 20+ footer.. If you want some idea of the layout I have some pretty good Pics of my Boat and the layout that I would E-Mail to you if you want..

Hope this helps..

Max

I have a 1997 884 Savage with a carbed Mercury 150.This is my second boat my other one was a 17.5 hydra sport. I had to drive to Mississippi to get it.It was worth the 5 hour one way drive.With help from the guys on this board on some tuning hints it has done great.Biggest water I fish is Lake Cumberland but it can get rough and this boat handles it great and has bunches of room.I can run wide open without gripping the wheel.Can not go wrong with this ride.Got pics if you are interested.Good Luck!

Kentucky Mike

Love my 884 fishes great, handles rough water very well for a boat under 20ft. Mine is a 1998 with a 150 EFI.

Back