Ol' Salt's Question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cq

Reaction score
We all know from either being in the Navy, watching moves or just being smart, what the striking of the ships Bells indicate:

table2.jpg

Now the question, "What is 16 Bells"?

cq

Midnight 31st December/1st January is marked by the striking of 16 bells - 8
for the old year and 8 for the new. The youngest officer on board has the
privilege of doing this. It used to be a custom to play practical jokes on
this officer

The bells and bosun's whistle were everyday occurrences for me. Probably didn't have much of that when you had to be silent all the time in a sub right cq.
fatrap

The jr. QM's had to shine our Ships Bell everyday. Mounted aft of the sail by the Topside Box (communications).

cq

I never thought about subs having a ship's bell. Ok... did even the later nukes have them. I could ask my son if he ever had to shine one. My understanding he had to understand and qualify on about everything onboard.
fatrap

They all have them, polishing the Ships Bell was a duty for the jr. QM's. You had to bell and announce any high ranking officer by the bell and 1MC announcement.
I never had it on my qualification card.
I did get to scram the reactor and be bad guy during a security alert, RX scram, periscope depth, snorkel with delayed RX startup and run on the Emergency Propulsion Motor (DC electric) Ships Diving Party training. We got the security, RX scram, diesel start-up/shutdown and reduced electrical drills out of the way. The Security Alert Team had a hard time finding me, I just went to my rack curled up in the fetal position and closed the curtain just enough to hide.

cq

Last edited:
With all this crap going on with officers in high positions, I believe, at least I hope and pray, that I trained my jr. officers what integrity, honesty means with correct morale judgment. Our congress and high ranking officers are out looking to make a buck and pat themselves on the back. My personal opinion.

cq

A piece of Navy trivia. the following in a quote. "U.S. Navy bells are part of the many artifacts removed from decommissioned vessels preserved by the Naval History and Heritage Command. They may be provided on loan to new namesake ships; naval commands with an historical mission or functional connection; and to museums and other institutions that are interpreting specific historical themes and displays of naval history. Bells remain the permanent property of the US Government and the Department of the Navy. These serve to inspire and to remind our naval forces and personnel of their honor, courage, and commitment to the defense of our nation."

CQ I don't know if this pertains to your statement of Integrity, honesty and we had our share of horse's asses onboard the ships that I severed on but a quick story. We had a CPO everyone hated. Unfortunately he was the DC chief(mine) He was a mean drunk, and prone to giving us hell in the form of multiply fire drills, and damage control exercises after 16:00 when the watches were set. one night while in Gitmo he came onboard during the 8 to 12 watch and preceded to call fire drills until we had almost every hose flaked out on deck and sailors were collapsing from the heat. Even though the sun was down it was awful hot and humid. The XO finally came onboard and wanted to know what was happening. Not one sailor raised a hand and complained to the XO. Maybe we were just a bunch of scared teenagers but that was the opportunity to get even. He was my Chief simple as that. There might be two guys on our ship who might have hated each other but they still had each other's back while on the beach.
Maybe it's still the same.

fatrap

No, but that was not a CHIEF!!!! And whoever trained him should be keeled hauled. And if the Command Master Chief let that go on, lets take him under the hull also. If I had a Chief that abused his authority, well lets say......I didn't.
A CEO will not let a person with authority run rabid. He could kill the company and that is what that CPO was doing destroying your ship. My Chief Quarters was one that had sailors standing in line to join our ship and crew.
What I am ranting about are the officers sending information to an individual for gain in presents, money, lavish parties and nice travel. One was the Officers in charge of nuclear weapons storage that were receiving counterfeit gambling chips from an outside group. Another was passing information about port calls, then one company could get the mooring contract and I can go on and on.

cq
MMCM(SS) Cleo Q Baker USN Ret.

Latest posts

Back